WICHE Scholarship $26,000 a year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc_dent

King of Dentistry
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how many other SDNers participated in the WICHE program. And which of you got the WICHE scholarship, Where you are from, what your stats are, What the amount of the scholarship is, and what school you will be attending.

I start:
From Arizona
Science GPA: 3.94; Dat AA: 22 PAT: 20
Attending UOP
Scholarship = $26,000 a year for a total of $78,000 :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

doc_dent said:
I was just wondering how many other SDNers participated in the WICHE program. And which of you got the WICHE scholarship, Where you are from, what your stats are, What the amount of the scholarship is, and what school you will be attending.

I start:
From Arizona
Attending UOP

I just sent in all of my WICHE paperwork for 06. How do the schools you are applying to know you are a WICHE applicant. Is there a box to check or something in AADSAS?

from what I understand the schools you apply to are told that you are a Wiche student by the Wiche board. They also ask the school to rank you and the scholarship is based on that rank. In arizona there were over a 100 people that were Wiche certified competing for about 10 scholarships.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are you guys talking about?

doc_dent said:

I start:
From Arizona
Attending UOP

When did you find out that your received the scholarship? And why the FU laugh at the end of your post?

I found out about the scholarship by mail today.

doc_dent said:

I start:
From Arizona
Attending UOP

Hi! I was wondering, how those this program works? any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

doc_dent said:
I found out about the scholarship by mail today.

Congrats on your scholarship! That's a really nice chunk of change there. I know who I'll be hitting up to borrow $5 for lunch next year...

For all the guys asking questions on how the WICHE program works you should first know that it only applies to those who are from the western states that do not have a state sponsered dental school like Arizona and New Mexico. And the scholarship simply makes up the difference between in state and out of state tuition unless you choose to go to a private school then it simply pays a max amount of 78k. For the lucky ones out there that live in a state with a state sponsered school quit complaing about how expensive school is.

If you are from a state like that PM me and I would be glad to explain the whole process.

Letter in the mail today...no go on the scholarship.

The Wichie scholarship is great if you get it. Granted you need a ton of patience because it takes 8 months for them to let you know if you get it.

In reality I feel states without dental schools should fund the same number of students that they would fund if they had a dental school. In the case of AZ we fund 80 or so medical students every year so why not give 80 wichie scholarships for Dental students rather than the 10 to 15 a year. But hell, this is just me complaining about the system.

Now I have to make a decision...UCSF without the Wichie or Creighton....

Just thought I would add, not only do you have to live in those certain states to be considered for WICHE, but each state has certain limits. EX - I live in AZ, so I tried to apply for WICHE, but I do not qualify because I have not lived here for 5+ years. Totally sucks.

Also heard from WICHE that I was approved for funding. How exciting!! I'm also from AZ.

I wasn't really sold on the WICHE thing. Thinking about how many hours you have to pay back vs what you could be making working those hours on your own didn't really add up. Plus, the thought of having to be tied to the state for that commitment was a deal breaker for me. I have no idea where I want to end up. :oops:

predentchick said:
I wasn't really sold on the WICHE thing. Thinking about how many hours you have to pay back vs what you could be making working those hours on your own didn't really add up. Plus, the thought of having to be tied to the state for that commitment was a deal breaker for me. I have no idea where I want to end up. :oops:

I just got a letter turning me down but I didn't get into any WICHE schools anyways. The WICHE program is actually pretty cool. They don't limit who much money you can make or where you live as long as you come back to your sponsoring state. And for Arizona at least if you decide to not come back here to practice you are only require to pay back 50 percent of what they give you so even if you don't live up to your part of the commitment you still come out ahead by 40K or so.

wimmcs said:
Also heard from WICHE that I was approved for funding. How exciting!! I'm also from AZ.

Wimmcs do you mind sharing your stats and what school you will be attending? Because from what I can see it looks like you had Dat scores of AA: 18 and PAT: 15. That just seems a little low to recieve funding.

TucsonDDS said:
I just got a letter turning me down but I didn't get into any WICHE schools anyways. The WICHE program is actually pretty cool. They don't limit who much money you can make or where you live as long as you come back to your sponsoring state. And for Arizona at least if you decide to not come back here to practice you are only require to pay back 50 percent of what they give you so even if you don't live up to your part of the commitment you still come out ahead by 40K or so.
From what WICHE recipeients told me: they have to practice at certain clinics to get their hours. Not true? I probably would have looked into it, but I couldn't be committed to any certain state once I was out. My family doesn't know where we want to settle. But any money is good money!