Widener, Loyola MD PsyD Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leavingprov

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I am in the thick of gradschool applications (trying not to get too stressed). Is there anyone out there who is attending the Widener PsyD or Loyola MD PsyD programs? Basically, I'm worried about costs, and am having a hard time getting a straight answer from the website (never a good sign :() or a past search of the forum here. Is there any non-loan aid given? How much, etc? I'm having a hard time figuring out how much in debt I will be if I end up going to these programs.

Beyond that, I'd love to hear how the program is going for you, in terms of how supportive the environment is and how strong the curriculum and clinical opportunities are there. Basically any info would be amazing.

Thanks sooo much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I looked at Loyola and I thought it was pretty solid (It didn't make my final list because it was the "local" program for me, and I wanted to move out of the area), and I *think* it has at least partial funding if not mostly funded. I remember the MS program was not funded, but I'm pretty sure they use that money to fund the Psy.D. program.

I applied to Widener but ended up not going primarily because of financial reasons although I was also put off by the size of the entering class. There is very little financial aid other than loans. There is one big scholarship (pays 80% of tuition for the first three years if I recall correctly) but it is just for one person. It does seem like a strong program academically, and the captive internship is enticing, but I just wasn't willing to take on that much debt. Tuition alone is more than $20,000 a year. In talking with current students, most of them were worried about the financial aspect -- I don't think I talked to one that didn't have loan concerns.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually know a professor of stats at Loyola who is beyond helpful. If you want his name I can give it to you and he will give you advice about the cost. There are also ways of getting free tuition there like working as a GRC which I know many people do there.

Let me know!

FWIW....the b'more area is pretty affordable (compared to other east coast cities), and the college is in a great area. As a young professional I'd recommend it as far as location goes.

I actually know a professor of stats at Loyola who is beyond helpful. If you want his name I can give it to you and he will give you advice about the cost. There are also ways of getting free tuition there like working as a GRC which I know many people do there.

Let me know!

That would be great-- can you pm me? Is this an appropriate thing to ask a professor or should it be sent in the direction of an admissions counselor? Thanks sooo much.