Wife is thinking of doing WAG remote verification... pros/cons?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinipig523

I like my job!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not very familiar with this whole remote verification thing and it seems like my wife is thinking of doing it.

Currently she works a few days a month at a WAG store but not would be part time for this new WAG remote verification system, probably working 3 days a week. I know there's a paycut, only $46/hr, but what are the other negatives of this job?

Monotonous? Is it a tough job to keep because of the monotony and the metrics needed to keep your head above water?

I guess the positives is the no commute time, the no need to talk to patients and deal with angry or irrational ones, and no more shots.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, that is a huge pay cut ~30 k a year
Yeah if she were full time.

But since she's very part time she does not make too much anyway.

We figured that with this remote verification, she can work more if it's an easier job and make more in that sense.

I don't do remote, but all I do is rx verification (just making sure the input information is right without touching the medication). It is easy but oh so boring and unsatisfying. It even makes me miss retail at times :vomit:.

The only difference your wife and I would have is that my metrics don't have a minimum, so I just have to get things done without the threat of being fired. I would tell her to go for it is she values personal satisfaction (working from home, less stress, etc) over professional satisfaction

That sounds like hell, do they at least let you listen to music or something? It would take a lot of money for me to sit at a terminal all day and press enter.

That sounds like hell, do they at least let you listen to music or something? It would take a lot of money for me to sit at a terminal all day and press enter.
Yeah they are giving a paycut to sit at home and click on a computer. I guess the thing we don't like is the inflexibility of the scheduling otherwise it would've been doable despite loss of pay.

Sounds like she might not do it. :(

can u elaborate on inflexibility of scheduling?

Inflexibility in the sense that you get to choose the days you work, but they get to tell you which hours you'll be working that day. Not only that but also you can't take breaks when you feel like it or when your eyes are tired or you need water or the commode... The computer tells you when you can take a break and when lunch is. Kinda similar to all the pro metric exams we took in those quiet computer rooms.... Except this at least is at your house.

Ideally an at home position would be flexible enough to allow you to choose your breaks throughout your shift so u can just log off unpaid for a few minutes at your choosing and then back on. Or have it be so that you can choose your hours and make the whole system revenue based...

You eat what you kill.

They would assign a higher cash value to scripts verified in the morning during peak store hours and those who are signed on to work those verifications get paid more. Those who don't take breaks get paid more since they verify more.

The. Make a quota where you can't log on for more than "x" number of hours during peak hours and you're mandatorily forced to also complete the minimum "y" number of hours during off peak which are obviously less pay.

This system would allow schddule flexibility and allow people to take onus of their revenue. Those who are willing to work faster, harder, get up earlier and work during business hours are rewarded. Those who are slow and lazy who wake up late into the day are unable to partake in the main event and then are forced to complete their hours quota with off peak verifications all the way to 2am.

or just low ball everybody because you know the new grads will work if they can't find something else or when the beat up retail rph trying to get out

what do you do with a prescription that needs clarification from the prescriber? Kick it back to the scan store?

Members don't see this ad :)
How many scripts a day are you expected to verify?

5 scripts a min?! No way that can be expected

It can be expected. Can't be achieved safely. This way bonuses don't get maxed out because metrics aren't met, or the pharmacist has too many errors.

5 scripts a min?! No way that can be expected

I think the script review & the DUR review are done by separate people? So 1 person is checking the data, a different person checks the DUR (which makes the 5 scripts/min a bit more reasonable)

It can be expected. Can't be achieved safely. This way bonuses don't get maxed out because metrics aren't met, or the pharmacist has too many errors.
Data review/DUR is split into 3 tasks: Pt/prescriber, drug, and DUR. someone verifies correct pt and prescriber (some states, Florida, allow techs to do this part), one Rph verifies actual rx part (date, drug, qty , sig, and refills), and another rph verifies DUR. Uninterrupted, I can see how this can be done very quickly and efficiently, albeit, very boring and repetitive

I think the script review & the DUR review are done by separate people? So 1 person is checking the data, a different person checks the DUR (which makes the 5 scripts/min a bit more reasonable)
5 seconds for script review. 6 seconds for DUR.

Same person.

I think 2400 in an 8h period.

A lot of work for a lot less money. I'd rather drive 15 mins commute and get paid $10 extra/hr, in order just to stand all day (tiring but better effects on your health). But since you are an attending, you probably make 3X your wife income, money is not an issue, she is only working to pay your taxes. Tell her to do whatever that makes her happy.

Reactions: 1 user
5 seconds for script review. 6 seconds for DUR.

Same person.

Damn, that is crazy! You will be verifying RXs like a crazy robot for 8 hours. Not worth it especially what they are paying you

Also cardinal health has remote verification services like this as well for hospital pharmacy order verification.

A lot of work for a lot less money. I'd rather drive 15 mins commute and get paid $10 extra/hr, in order just to stand all day (tiring but better effects on your health). But since you are an attending, you probably make 3X your wife income, money is not an issue, she is only working to pay your taxes. Tell her to do whatever that makes her happy.

THat's sorta where we are. The dip in income is not really an issue but more of an annoyance. I think she likes the idea of being at home and having no commute and not having to deal with customers, but there were a few things that came up with regards to scheduling that we were not able to have her do it this time around.. but probably a very good possibility in a couple of years.

You're right though, she's just paying top tax bracket by the time she brings money into the group at approx 39.6%. Meaning every hour she works, she takes home probably $46 down to $26. I'm a little over a factor of 5x the remote verification pay.

I would recommend she doesn't take the job, it sounds boring and professionally unsatisfying. If you do not need the money, then having her work at a job she doesn't like will be really tough for her to stomach long-term. My wife and I are in the same situation as you guys, she is an attending physician making about 4.5-5X remote verification pay you listed. So, my salary does not even cover the taxes on her salary. But I really love my job, so that makes all the difference. We have talked about it and if I ever get to the point where I do not like my job or once we have kids, it will make more sense for me to work part-time. But for now, I enjoy the professional satisfaction in my job and staying current in pharmacy, so I do not ever see myself stepping out of the profession entirely. Working 0.5 FTE one day sounds great though ;)

Husband is a resident. That's exactly what we plan once he's been out for a few years or we have children. I'd love to work 2-3 days a week!

Yeah, the way we have it set up.. right now, she's working 2 days every other week.

She picks up a few shifts when she can too.

You will enjoy working less when your husband's done.

"You will enjoy working less when your husband's done."

Not to start a war here, but my husband is an attending and I really enjoy working full time and then some (...though I imagine this may be different if I was working for Wags).

I would tend to agree with the others. The idea of sitting home and remotely verifying sounds pretty monotonous and unsatisfying. I worked remotely for a short period of time and thought it would be great but ended up finding it incredibly isolating. Some people love it though.

Best of luck to her.

I can't think of another way to make $46 dollars an hour from home, though this sounds very boring. I don't think I could do it.

I had heard rumors of this, but...it's actually happening?

My assessment of the pharmacy profession:

the-end-is-near.jpg

Is this actually a thing now? God help us all.

This is how I imagine a remote pharmacist filling...
Jugando-a-WOW.gif