Wikipremed Physics Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheRealAngeleno

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I came across this question

http://www.wikipremed.com/01physicscards.php?card=226

on the WikiPremed site and I just can't seem to understand their explanation for this question. Could someone please offer a better explanation as to why C would be the correct answer? Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

If two objects have the same momentum, but different mass, their kinetic energies cannot be equal, unless they are both at rest. This is seen mathematically by setting m1v1 = m2v2, where m2 = nm1, where n ≠ 1. Then m1v1 = nm1v2, which leads to v2 = v1/n. But now if you try to equate kinetic energies, you can't, because m2v2^2/2 = nm1(v1/n)^2/2 = nm1v1^2/2n^2 = m1v1^2/2n. In fact if n > 1, then object 2, which is heavier (m2 = nm1) has the same momentum as object 1, but less kinetic energy. Conversely, if you had two objects with the same kinetic energy, then the heavier object will have more momentum.

I will use (1) to denote the heavier mass and (2) to denote the other. In B, all of the initial kinetic energy is due to (1). After collision, the momentum of (2) has to equal the momentum of (1) before collision. But as shown before, the kinetic energy of the lighter object has to be greater, so the collision is not elastic (in fact, this is physically impossible). D is easily ruled out because this is completely inelastic collision. For A, remember that momentum is a vector. If the final momentum of the system is equal to the initial momentum of the system, then the p(2)f + p(1)f = p(1)i. If you consider right to be positive, then p(1) < 0. This means that p(2)f > p(1)i. Again, this means that the kinetic energy of (2) after collision is greater than that of (1) before collision, which is not possible. Note that unlike momentum, kinetic energy has to be positive. (1) can have negative momentum, but it cannot have negative kinetic energy. Does that help?

If two objects have the same momentum, but different mass, their kinetic energies cannot be equal, unless they are both at rest. This is seen mathematically by setting m1v1 = m2v2, where m2 = nm1, where n &#8800; 1. Then m1v1 = nm1v2, which leads to v2 = v1/n. But now if you try to equate kinetic energies, you can't, because m2v2^2/2 = nm1(v1/n)^2/2 = nm1v1^2/2n^2 = m1v1^2/2n. In fact if n > 1, then object 2, which is heavier (m2 = nm1) has the same momentum as object 1, but less kinetic energy. Conversely, if you had two objects with the same kinetic energy, then the heavier object will have more momentum.

I will use (1) to denote the heavier mass and (2) to denote the other. In B, all of the initial kinetic energy is due to (1). After collision, the momentum of (2) has to equal the momentum of (1) before collision. But as shown before, the kinetic energy of the lighter object has to be greater, so the collision is not elastic (in fact, this is physically impossible). D is easily ruled out because this is completely inelastic collision. For A, remember that momentum is a vector. If the final momentum of the system is equal to the initial momentum of the system, then the p(2)f + p(1)f = p(1)i. If you consider right to be positive, then p(1) < 0. This means that p(2)f > p(1)i. Again, this means that the kinetic energy of (2) after collision is greater than that of (1) before collision, which is not possible. Note that unlike momentum, kinetic energy has to be positive. (1) can have negative momentum, but it cannot have negative kinetic energy. Does that help?

In addition to his excellent explanation, I just want to attach this:

2mzlers.png

These types of problems are highly conceptual and the only way to get familiar with them is through lots of reasoning. This type of reasoning can be very time consuming for the mcat which is why EK suggests you understand the graph I attached. It's definitely not necessary to memorize since these types of questions are low-yield. But understanding this graph can be very helpful to solve these types of problems.

By the way you should realize that:

For an ELASTIC Collision - Both MOMENTUM & KE is conserved
For an INELASTIC Collision - MOMENTUM only is conserved (Loss of KE)
For a PERFECTLY INELASTIC Collision - MOMENTUM only is conserved (Greater loss of KE).

Oo, that image is really blurry. But check out the last 2 columns under "ELASTIC" where m1 > m2 (ie. LARGE ball colliding with SMALL ball at rest). It basically says that:

The Large Ball will have a velocity LESS than it was initially but GREATER than zero.
The Small Ball will have a velocity GREATER than the intial velocity of the Large Ball but less than twice that velocity.

If you memorized this (which many would yell at me for suggesting such things), answering this question would only take 15 seconds lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
For an ELASTIC Collision - Both MOMENTUM & KE is conserved
For an INELASTIC Collision - MOMENTUM only is conserved (Loss of KE)
For a PERFECTLY INELASTIC Collision - MOMENTUM only is conserved (Greater loss of KE).

This, on the other hand, should be memorized, as they are sort of definitions. One thing I would add is that a perfectly inelastic collision is the greatest loss of KE possible while keeping momentum conserved, and in order for this to happen, two objects must stick together. This last statement can be mathematically proved for any collisions between two objects, although for the MCAT, it's better to take it as a matter of faith.