Wilderness Medicine by Paul S. Auerbach

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here has read this book.

I'd like to pick it up out of pure interest and I am trying to find out if it is a book that would go over a non-MD's head or if it would be possible to make ones way through the book and understand what it is saying.

Thanks for any opinions.

Edit: Hmmm. Link doesn't seem to want to work...

Members don't see this ad.

I'd like to pick it up out of pure interest and I am trying to find out if it is a book that would go over a non-MD's head or if it would be possible to make ones way through the book and understand what it is saying.

Thanks for any opinions.

I bought my first edition when I was a lowly advanced first aider. If you have an interest in wilderness EMS, it's THE book.

If your interest is more passing, try the field book (a condensed version that only costs around $35, vs $200 or so for the big book).

Thanks for any opinions.

I think the big book is superb. But it is written for physicians with a special interest in the subject, most MDs would find it a bit esoteric. Not trying to be elitist. I would be completely lost in an advanced engineering text. Don't know about the field handbook, but likely easier.

Example: the chapters on marine envenomations and poisonings are far more detailed than any US MD will ever need, if you were practicing EM in Australia, they would be worth reading.

Suggest you go to the library of a medical school and read through it before you spend the big bucks. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you're Frank Counselman in Norfolk, Virginia!

Well, I saw a fair amount of sting ray and jellyfish envenomations and sea wound sepsis at Eglin AFB, Florida but the level of info needed was below that provided by Auerbach.

I didn't see sea snake bites, paralytic shellfish, fugu posioning, cone shell, box jelly fish etc. But I love to read about them.:love: