Wilderness Medicine tracks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HarveyCushing

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
WM is something that I have an interest for. I was looking at FP residencies and came across a WM track at Marshall University, Central Maine and Montana. I have heard that Utah might start a program. Are there any other programs that offer this training to a FP resident?

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone help?

WM is something that I have an interest for. I was looking at FP residencies and came across a WM track at Marshall University, Central Maine and Montana. I have heard that Utah might start a program. Are there any other programs that offer this training to a FP resident?

Don't know but you are like years, and years, and years ahead of the game. Good for you. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
:D Hahaha. I know. Hope it isn't a bad thing.

I suggest if you can, that you go to the AAFP conference of FM residents and students at some point before you apply.

http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/cme/aafpcourses/conferences/nc.html

It's always held the first weekend in August, and it's always in Kansas City (which apparently should be geographically convenient for you!). It's one of the biggest residency fairs, and if you can't find what you are looking for there, it probably doesn't exist in the US.

Best of luck!

From what I can find through WMS.org, which you should check out if you haven't already, I think you've covered it. The rest comes from CME/Electives. Obviously, there's a cross over with EM/Disaster and Rural Med. Sounds like there are courses you can do like WALS which simulate ACLS and didactic and conferences. You'd probably also want some clinical stuff too, so I'd imagine some of the electives would be real cool as well as moonlighting in some of these BFE places. I think it'd be cool to do one of these tracks if you were really hard core about it. For me, it'd be more for fun and so I signed up for an elective in WM which I'm pumped about. Good for you for wanting to do something cool and exciting. Definitely beats reading about them lame ass posts about midlevels, salaries, and any other FM trash talk.

I've seen some jungle medicine courses but can't remember where. Might be able to google it.

For someone interested in WM, would a rural program be a good compliment? Or would a program with a WM track be stronger due to the faculty and funding?

For someone interested in WM, would a rural program be a good compliment? Or would a program with a WM track be stronger due to the faculty and funding?

From what I have read I think rural is definitely closer to WM then, let say, NYC FM but it's still modern medicine (labs, x-rays - technology). WM is trying to cover things like- better eyeballing, science of palpation and "here's your stick, your rock, a couple of leaves and a compass- diagnose and treat!" type of things.
I would think, however, that if you wanted to attend WM conferences and were serious about it any program director would let you develop your interest.

From what I have read I think rural is definitely closer to WM then, let say, NYC FM but it's still modern medicine (labs, x-rays - technology). WM is trying to cover things like- better eyeballing, science of palpation and "here's your stick, your rock, a couple of leaves and a compass- diagnose and treat!" type of things.
I would think, however, that if you wanted to attend WM conferences and were serious about it any program director would let you develop your interest.

At this moment I have a slight interest in WM. I know of two programs (Marshall and Montana) who have an official WM program. I was curious what people had heard about these programs and whether they were something worth considering. Thanks for your help. It seems like WM is a small community and if you want training it shouldn't be too hard to find.

I went to WM conferences which got my foot in the door. I am not in FP but you don't need to be to do WM. Anyway, if I remember right Seattle may have some programs. At least in ER and you could most likely rotate through there.

Wilderness medicine??! Dude, what is the business model for that? Do you run around Tahoe cross country trails with a first aid kit and a portable credit card machine (figuring people dont have cash on hand in the wilderness..) looking for hikers?

Hobby yes, living no.

And yes I know of a very well established WM program run by the Army, because they use it...

Wilderness medicine??! Dude, what is the business model for that? Do you run around Tahoe cross country trails with a first aid kit and a portable credit card machine (figuring people dont have cash on hand in the wilderness..) looking for hikers?

Hobby yes, living no.

And yes I know of a very well established WM program run by the Army, because they use it...

I think it's great. You have to think outside the "Tahoe" mentality. Those of us who live in Alaska, Northern Canada, Idaho, Montana, Maine, etc. this concept is very much alive. I would LOVE to take a WM course. Comes in handy when you are out there on the tundra and the nearest hospital or clinic is 3 hours by plane. Keep us posted with updates on possible courses.

The Wake Forest SIG in conjunction with the Appalachian Center for Wilderness Medicine will be hosting the first ever wilderness medicine conference targeted specifically to the healthcare student - however residents, physicians and healthcare professionals are also welcomed. This is a great way to learn more about wilderness medicine and meet others with similar interests. The weekend will consist of lectures on wilderness medicine in extreme environments, hands on clinics and a final skills challenge on Sunday. Information about electives and other opportunities for students will also be available.
Mark your calendars for April 12-13 2008 - in sunny Winston-Salem, NC!
More Details
http://wms.org/studentgroups/sig_web_site/wakewm.htm
Register Now
http://wms.org/studentgroups/sig_web_site/wakewm.htm

Questions: Email Stephanie Lareau and DJ Williams at [email protected]

Please pass this on to anyone who might be interested!!