Will a LOI hurt my chances at a scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Salt Salt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's a school that I'm very interested in for a few specific reasons that unfortunately never came up in my interviews. I would like to write a LOI explaining just why I'm obsessed with this school, but they give out scholarships and I don't want to forgo my shot at a scholarship just to boost my chances of getting in by a slight amount.

It would be especially helpful if any adcoms could way in.

Members don't see this ad.

No one really believes "LOI's."
Wait to see if you are accepted. The odds of getting a recruitment scholarship off the waitlist are much smaller at most institutions.
Depending on the school's endowment, how they process recruitment scholarships and where else you are accepted, your chances for $ will vary dramatically.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
There's a school that I'm very interested in for a few specific reasons that unfortunately never came up in my interviews. I would like to write a LOI explaining just why I'm obsessed with this school, but they give out scholarships and I don't want to forgo my shot at a scholarship just to boost my chances of getting in by a slight amount.

It would be especially helpful if any adcoms could way in.
There are schools that like to see evidence of your continued interest. Rather than a Letter of Intent, why not write a Letter of Interest, enumerating the reasons to which you refer. Please try to avoid using the word "obsessed" and keep it professional.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Catalystik: I'm afraid it would have the same effect on potential scholarships as a Letter of Intent. And I wouldn't use the word "obsessed." Haha.

@Catalystik: I'm afraid it would have the same effect on potential scholarships as a Letter of Intent.
I doubt it. A Letter of Interest is not even close to the "I promise to withdraw from all other schools if accepted" that is a part of a typical Letter of Intent. It would more be a list of reasons why you feel the school is a good match for your interests.