General Admissions & OTCAS Will a PT internship abroad help w/ OT applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MachinaAdore

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been considering volunteering abroad in a country such as Nepal or Sri Lanka for a while, partially out of interest for the cultures, partially because it seems potentially enriching, but also I figured it could help me stand out when applying to OT master programs in the fall. Most volunteer internships abroad are for PT programs. Do you think it would look good to have interned for with PT's when applying to OT master programs?

Members don't see this ad.

That sounds awesome!! But I definitely think they will ask you why you didn't pursue pt in any interview, so you'll need a good answer that differentiates your interest and shows them that you really want to do ot. You also probably won't be able to use the therapists as a reference or as shadowing hours, so make sure you have others lined up as well. The program will also want to know that you have a good understanding of ot so you probably won't be able to use too much from your experience for this, but you could definitely discuss the cultural differences and other stuff like that to your advantage. I hope you're able to go!! And just a disclaimer: this is just my opinion and may not be true depending on the specific programs you apply to. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I've been considering volunteering abroad in a country such as Nepal or Sri Lanka for a while, partially out of interest for the cultures, partially because it seems potentially enriching, but also I figured it could help me stand out when applying to OT master programs in the fall. Most volunteer internships abroad are for PT programs. Do you think it would look good to have interned for with PT's when applying to OT master programs?
I think OT programs like to see volunteer work like that. I worked as a PT aide and asked a PT to write me a letter of rec. I worked directly under this PT and had been at my job for quite a while. Therefore, I thought that the PT would be a good reference to speak to my professionalism and relations with clients. Of course I also had an OT write me a letter as well. Many people work as PT aides before OT school and as OT's we often work alongside/collaborate with PT's. I would just make sure to frame the experience in terms of how experiencing other cultures and working with PT's will make you a better OT.

Internship for PT program will definitely look good. In fact, any experience in the healthcare industry will help your resume/application. But you must explain how these experiences contributed to your decision to become an OT, whether on your personal statement or in an interview with the faculty. I remember during one of the interviews I went to, the professor said the last thing she wants to hear is that an applicant only decided to become an OT because she failed to get in PT school. Good luck and have fun!