Medical Will adcoms ever see past my red flags?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a very lost.
I was not pre-med until the mid sophomore year. I just graduated with a 3.39 cGPA / 3.35 sgpa and have a 503 MCAT.
Well Below Average even as a URM. But there is a kicker.

Here is the kicker (at least one of them), my early academic career is stained with various F's & D's. Worked full time to support family/pay tuition.
I did retake all my classes. My AMCAS gpa turned out to be 3.0 cGPA & sGPA due to my retakes.

I then had another issue in which I got a IA (verbal warning) for collaboration due to a file mix up when turning in a class assignment. To be a little more specific, I shared a computer with a classmate and both turned in the same template document which was flagged. I did not get punished besides the warning and it did not affect my overall grade. This does not appear on my transcript. I owned up to it, it was not intentional and I did not bust my butt to for years only to cheat my way into a good grade for an assignment.

Red Flags...

Some strengths to my app are these:
I have 500 hours of research, one pub, various poster presentations, close to 200 hours of clinical volunteering and about 80ish(and growing) hours of community service volunteer work & shadowing, 1000+ paid clinical hours with direct patient interaction (scribe).

I'm pretty determined to become a physician, no matter what.
I'm planning on doing an SMP/post-bacc, retaking my mcat and then applying to MD/DO after I finish.
Not applying this cycle.
Even with that do I even have a chance due to my past? Should I even apply to medical schools even after doing an SMP?
What community do you represent? And please don't say "the Bronx".

You're fine for DO right now, with a broad application. Do you have a rising GPA trend?

When did you get the IA? It appears to be minor. Just explain it and own it on the app.

There are many med schools that reward reinvention

Members don't see this ad.

I would take the time to look for schools that would accept your DACA status and what resources they have to help you and others like you. Network with students and schools to be sure you have a focused list prior to sending in an application. I agree DO schools would be your best shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.