Medical Will Alcohol IA sink my medical school app? (Read to end!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
During my freshman year of College in October 2017, I made a regrettable mistake of showing up to a school party inebriated and was refused entry by a school officer. Because my decision making was impaired, I attempted to enter the party a second time soon after and the officer charged me with violating 2 sections of the Student Code of Conduct: failure to comply with the direction of a law enforcement officer and for circumventing the spirit of the alcohol policy. I was placed on Disciplinary Probation until semester end (December) and received a substance abuse assessment. I take full responsibility for my action and should not have disregarded the initial warning of the officer. After this experience I became more aware of my actions and learned to control my alcohol intake during social events. I realize that the officer was not being malicious by charging me, but was in fact trying to protect me from potential harm. I have learned from my mistake and have since advised friends and helped guide them home when they appear too intoxicated to be in public."

I was a dumb 17 year old lacking judgement and any ability to think about the future when this happened. I already postponed my AMCAS app by one year just to put more time/distance from this event (I'm 21 now, and will be 22 by matriculation if I get in this cycle). I'm applying very broadly (3.7, 515)with the hopes of getting into any DO or MD school, even though I realize there's nothing I can do about it.

What do y'all think about this IA? Lethal? Should I be preparing for another career outside of healthcare?

I think you will be ok. Everyone was young and dumb. You have a solid GPA/MCAT, you took a year off, I assume you have decent ECs (what do they look like)?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Status
Not open for further replies.