Will an additional LOR and letter of interest help me at this stage? should i wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulmed97

Reaction score
I asked this on reddit and everyone said no but i thought I'd try here and see what oh majestically GORO might say. But - i think its a quite meaningful LOR. I work with a two eye surgeons, one of which included an LOR when I initially applied in September. Without divulging too much information here, I was promoted (and sent an update), and have now become a very important role during the surgeons consult clinics, where I discuss surgery options, types of IOL's, cataracts, glaucoma, etc, with the patients, at the end of the consult. The surgeons even let me take a look in the microscope when they are examining patients eyes and I'm learning so much. Its really fun! Right now, I'm on "hold for interview" at KCU-COM and AZCOM. Silence from NSUCOM, MSUCOM, CCOM, Rowan-SOM.

if additional information is needed to give an answer, heres a small run down
-26F, lesbian, arab, canadian
-rural (pop <1500) from age 0-23
-Bsc biochem, Msc organic chemistry
-uGPA 3.06-3.1 ish? masters GPA 4.0
-MCAT 507 (2022) to 498 (2023) *RED FLAG but I have a legitimate reason so don't come at me for this. just don't.
-6 references (2 MD, 4 research profs)

-1000+ teaching at university level (labs and lecture)
-1000+ clinical hours (very direct with patients, i think its a unique job experience that not a lot of applicants have)
-probably 30-40 hours of shadowing at this point if we count the consult clinic?
-3000+ hours of research (2 LONG TERM projects)
-sports my whole life

will the additional LOR help me? Can I send a letter of interest? Am i strong enough to possibly receive an interview in the new year? I would be happy anywhere but top choice is MSUCOM as it's closest to home

Members don't see this ad.

I asked this on reddit and everyone said no but i thought I'd try here and see what oh majestically GORO might say. But - i think its a quite meaningful LOR. I work with a two eye surgeons, one of which included an LOR when I initially applied in September. Without divulging too much information here, I was promoted (and sent an update), and have now become a very important role during the surgeons consult clinics, where I discuss surgery options, types of IOL's, cataracts, glaucoma, etc, with the patients, at the end of the consult. The surgeons even let me take a look in the microscope when they are examining patients eyes and I'm learning so much. Its really fun! Right now, I'm on "hold for interview" at KCU-COM and AZCOM. Silence from NSUCOM, MSUCOM, CCOM, Rowan-SOM.

if additional information is needed to give an answer, heres a small run down
-26F, lesbian, arab, canadian
-rural (pop <1500) from age 0-23
-Bsc biochem, Msc organic chemistry
-uGPA 3.06-3.1 ish? masters GPA 4.0
-MCAT 507 (2022) to 498 (2023) *RED FLAG but I have a legitimate reason so don't come at me for this. just don't.
-6 references (2 MD, 4 research profs)

-1000+ teaching at university level (labs and lecture)
-1000+ clinical hours (very direct with patients, i think its a unique job experience that not a lot of applicants have)
-probably 30-40 hours of shadowing at this point if we count the consult clinic?
-3000+ hours of research (2 LONG TERM projects)
-sports my whole life

will the additional LOR help me? Can I send a letter of interest? Am i strong enough to possibly receive an interview in the new year? I would be happy anywhere but top choice is MSUCOM as it's closest to home
Please have mercy on those of us who have to read LORs.

One more will be simply gilding the lily.

Is the MS degree a research MS, or a SMP?

The downward MCAT score is concerning, whether you have a good reason or not.

Reactions: 1 user
Please have mercy on those of us who have to read LORs.

One more will be simply gilding the lily.

Is the MS degree a research MS, or a SMP?

The downward MCAT score is concerning, whether you have a good reason or not.
Research MS! Wow thanks for responding, you rock

Members don't see this ad :)
Where's your community service?
-100 hours Volunteering at a health centre with residents that have dementia, Alzheimer's
-68 hours - mutual aid community assistance (cooking meals with my friends and then splitting up to deliver them around the city)
-Science rendezvous, which is a science outreach program in Canada (3 years in a row)
-30 hrs cut short due to covid as a science gallery volunteer at museum