Will becoming a nurse make me less of a man?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Revolver

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In my journey to figure out what the hell I want to do, I'm coming across many obstacles, so I need to keep my options open. My first choice is Pharmacy, second is PA, and both are equally as hard to get into. I really want a job in the professional medical field and that leaves.... nursing.

Sure it'll be nice to be in classes with 90% females, but I dont think those girls will have much respect for a man that is becoming... a nurse. Sure there are male nurses... but I've noticed the male nurses I met are either 1)gay or 2)a minority. Not to be prejudice or prejudgemental against anything but I'm a white male... we are supposed to be doctors.

Anyway I'm just ranting. I'd like to see some white male nurses show their face in this thread :) I may have to join you guys if I can't get my GPA above 3.5 .

Members don't see this ad.

Not to be prejudice or prejudgemental against anything but I'm a white male... we are supposed to be doctors.
Obviously you are prejudiced and judgmental, and if your grasp on our native tongue is any indication, you have no chance in hell of getting your GPA up. May I suggest that you stop trolling and move on?

I would recommend Allnurses.com. They have a section just for male nurses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Revolver said:
In my journey to figure out what the hell I want to do, I'm coming across many obstacles, so I need to keep my options open. My first choice is Pharmacy, second is PA, and both are equally as hard to get into. I really want a job in the professional medical field and that leaves.... nursing.

Sure it'll be nice to be in classes with 90% females, but I dont think those girls will have much respect for a man that is becoming... a nurse. Sure there are male nurses... but I've noticed the male nurses I met are either 1)gay or 2)a minority. Not to be prejudice or prejudgemental against anything but I'm a white male... we are supposed to be doctors.

You can goto nursing school then go to CRNA school and far out earn both PAs and Pharmacists. As a CRNA you are a walking pharmacists that actually adminsters all his drugs. PM me and I can give you more info on schools, salaries, job opportunites ect. Over 40% of the 30,000 CRNA's in this country are male which is a drastically different amt when comparing the percentage of males RN's to female RN's.

Revolver said:

Anyway I'm just ranting. I'd like to see some white male nurses show their face in this thread :) I may have to join you guys if I can't get my GPA above 3.5 .

if you had to ask then yes.

Will becoming a nurse make me less of a man?

Yep, enrollment in a nursing program will make your junk shrink by at least 2 inches.

Sure there are male nurses... but I've noticed the male nurses I met are either 1)gay or 2)a minority. Not to be prejudice or prejudgemental against anything but I'm a white male... we are supposed to be doctors.

You might want to take a look at the OR or ICU of your local hospital. Plenty of straight RNs out there, it just seems like they congregate in critical care, ICU and other specialized areas rather than floor nursing.

Going into nursing because you couldn't make it into PA or pharmacy school will set you up to be a miserable male nurse. There are already a couple of that type out there, no need to have another one.

And then there is the off chance that you are just another troll.

f_w said:
Yep, enrollment in a nursing program will make your junk shrink by at least 2 inches.

You might want to take a look at the OR or ICU of your local hospital. Plenty of straight RNs out there, it just seems like they congregate in critical care, ICU and other specialized areas rather than floor nursing.

Going into nursing because you couldn't make it into PA or pharmacy school will set you up to be a miserable male nurse. There are already a couple of that type out there, no need to have another one.

And then there is the off chance that you are just another troll.

It's not a troll. RN is the only decent paying profession that doesn't have ridiculous pre-admission requirements or is outrageously competitive. The fact that I'm a white male alone would guarantee me admission to the nursing school of my choice.

But it's not what I want to do, it's something I'll be forced to do. What else am I going to do? Waste away year after year getting rejection letters or put on wait lists and not making it? I'm working hard to see that it doesn't happen, but I think GPA is going to be my biggest problem. I'm already handicapped in that area (2 A's and 5 B's with the hardest courses, ochems, physics, and calculus still to come) and I basically need straight A's from here on out to even have a shot. Not to mention that I'll need to do some extra curriculars, and having a full time job right now is preventing me from doing it.

But to be positive, I'm going to do everything I can to try to get into pharmacy school, but if I don't make it, I won't let my hard earned science classes be classified as electives and completely switch to a polar opposite major. So I'll have no choice but to become a nurse.

Sure there are male nurses... but I've noticed the male nurses I met are either 1)gay or 2)a minority

I guess we won't be seeing anymore white doctors since most doctors I've met are of Mid-Eastern descent :rolleyes:

Wow u sound like me when I first started college. Dont let those grades bring u down and dont listen to everyone on this site. I dont have a steller GPA either at 3.1, but I still have a lot of courses that im doing that will bring that up. Im more mature now and have much better study habits as well as determination. I am doing RT school, ive already been a CPhT (pharm tech) for almost 3 yrs, doing research now, and have shadowed surgical PA's and ER PA's in my spare time. All of this is putting me on the right track, and im confident in myself and abilities that I WILL make it into PA school. Confidence is a huge factor in getting through the sciences and that interview. If you look at all this like there is no other profession that fits you, then that should give you that edge in obtaining your goal. Dont read into the average pre-pharm GPA's, cause I know several people who got in with low 3's, and decent PCATs. It can be done and dont give up. Nursing is not the profession to be in if your heart isnt into it. I got very depressed knowing I was going to "settle becoming a NP" and had to be an RN beforehand. Now after really thinking it through im going to become an RRT first and then apply to PA school which is my dream career. Remember nothing great in life (practicing medicine) comes easy. If you really want it, then give it your all and dont look back. Good luck :thumbup:

-Oh yeah, and try to get an entry level job in the pharmacy. This really aids in getting into pharm school.

Revolver said:
I'd like to see some white male nurses show their face in this thread :)

You can look at my white face on my website if you want to see a hunky white straight male who has greatly enjoyed "working" with female peers while other guys work with their buddies, LOL! :D

zenman said:
You can look at my white face on my website if you want to see a hunky white straight male who has greatly enjoyed "working" with female peers while other guys work with their buddies, LOL! :D

The entry level job in pharmacy is not an option as I have a full time job right now in route sales making 42k a year. Perhaps I'll dot hat if I get rejected and I have to wait a year to apply again.

By the way, somebody suggested to me that becoming a CRNA is also good? Did a little research and I see they make upwards of 80k a year.... which tells me, like pharmacy and PA, it's extremely difficult and competitive to get into. lol.

Sometimes I feel like I'm just going to end up settling into a lousy LPN job since everyone and their brother wants in the medical field :p

What exactly do u want to do? I think you need to be exposed more to the diff. health fields as they are not all what they appear to be. Pharmacy is def. lucrative but monotonous with no patient contact and can get boring quick unless you do clinical stuff. Figure out exactly what role you want in healthcare and then go from there. CRNA's are generally very autonomous and make over 100K easily. I read somewhere that 130k is the average in that limited, but gratifying field. Dont go the easy route cause you will be dissapointed yrs later if you dont go for your true dream whatever that may be.

I have known quite a few male nurses. Although I am not sure what the males urses look like elsewhere in the country, the ones that worked in the ER where I was from were certainly not "Sissies." One was simply enormous...military vet. He was polite in all respects until you pissed him off...then he was known to lack compassion. He was often assigned to the "difficult" patients that had to be restrained

Another was a vietnam vet. His baseline behavior did not reveal compassion, humility, empathy, or tolerance of any kind(except for little old ladies). He despised drunks and loved to tell them how big of a sissy they were for complaining about their eight inch scalp lac, which by the way was just a scratch compared to the things he saw in Nam. My favorite quote of his, to an annoying, demanding patient with non-emergent complaints "This ain't Burger King, we do things OUR way!" In fact, I feel he was rather sadistic at times. He was often seen "semi-covertly" sipping apple juice out of urine specimen cups just to inflict psychological damage on the unaware patients.

So, are all male nurses pansies? No. In fact, I have seen other male nurses that were very nuturing and kind to all of the patients while retaining some sense of "manliness."

Perhaps if you stop wearing lacy panties you will not be so concerned about being less of a man.

On a side note, if you feel that nursing is simply something you have to do by default, you would be better served by seeking a career that you really enjoy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Revolver said:
The entry level job in pharmacy is not an option as I have a full time job right now in route sales making 42k a year. Perhaps I'll dot hat if I get rejected and I have to wait a year to apply again.

By the way, somebody suggested to me that becoming a CRNA is also good? Did a little research and I see they make upwards of 80k a year.... which tells me, like pharmacy and PA, it's extremely difficult and competitive to get into. lol.

Sometimes I feel like I'm just going to end up settling into a lousy LPN job since everyone and their brother wants in the medical field :p

CRNA's are starting at 120k in most parts of the country. Of course it is competitive to get in to a program. They dont just hand things to you on a silver platter in any of these professions. We want the hardest working, best documented and most motivated applicants entering our professions. Slackers need not apply.

On a side note, if you feel that nursing is simply something you have to do by default, you would be better served by seeking a career that you really enjoy.

Nice......

He's only looking for an easy route to a big paycheck where he doesn't have to work to earn it.

DropkickMurphy said:
Nice......

He's only looking for an easy route to a big paycheck where he doesn't have to work to earn it.

retail pharmacy? LOL

thats what it looks like to me also. btw nursing is competitive to get into. the classes arent hard, but there are so many applicants. so even nursing is not a sure bet with a 3.0 gpa.

RAMPA said:
retail pharmacy? LOL

thats what it looks like to me also. btw nursing is competitive to get into. the classes arent hard, but there are so many applicants. so even nursing is not a sure bet with a 3.0 gpa.

Yes, I was just thinking that. Don't be so sure that nursing is less competitive than other fields. There are usually 1-2 years of prereqs and possibly admission tests, and then you are either competing with 1000 other students for 120 spots, or you are placed on a waitlist for 1-2 years. And I know plenty of people with a 3.0 average who were not accepted to nursing school, at my school most people had a 3.7-4.0.

Ever see "Meet the Parents"? :)

i just wanted to add that being a male nurse wouldnt make you "less of a man" but putting yourself in this situation by getting low-par grades and then selling yourself short by not doing what you really wanted to do. THAT, makes you less of a man. a LOT less of a man.

p.s. there are worse things in the world than being gay. then there are a LOT worse things the someone "thinking" you "might" be gay. please.

p.p.s please print out a copy of this thread and take it to whatever PA school, pharm school, or whatever you interview at. It will do wonders for your application. TRUST me.

However, intentionally putting yourself in a situation where you will be subjected to a daily onlsaught of stereotypes (And...heavy lifting) begs the question....WHY? (.....Put yourself through the daily torture perpetrated by the ignorance of others. And the laziness of female co-workers). The life of a revolutionary trend-challanger is a rough one. Best of luck!

guetzow said:
The life of a revolutionary trend-challanger is a rough one. Best of luck!

Sounds like becoming a PA guetz! ;-)

It really also depends on what type of environment you desire to practice in as well as earning potentials. If you want to go the fluff route seeing cough and cold pts all day then a IM MD's NP/PA may be for you. IF you want to assess boils and acne all day then work as a NP/PA for a dermatologist. IF you want to take part in the surgery maybe open and close incisions or harvest grafts then be a Surgery PA (lot of call here).

If you want to put people to sleep in surgery, push the most potent drugs known and manage hemodynamically unstable pts then go CRNA.

If you feel less of a man for being a nurse then obviously your self esteem and confidence are starting out a high levels to begin with. You will prob. get eatin up in any of the 3 professions NP/PA/CRNA.

What makes the CRNA less of a man compared to the PA. We are RN's as well but CRNA too. Think whatever you like but until you get into the clinical setting and realize that the stigma in the healthcare arena that males should be MD's and females RN's is on the verge of non existing. Today there are more female MD's and male RN's than ever before. Its not you job title thats going to make you a man. Its on the otherhand your job performance, decision making and leadership that make you a man and earn respect from other professionals. Doesnt matter what you do if you are a MD or janitor and suck on the job than you will suck in everyones eyes that works around and with you. Seriously you sound like you have an inferior complex already.

Pick a profession b/c:
1- You will enjoy your work.
2-plentiful jobs
3-earning potential
4-flexibility
5-benefits

I graduated as a RN and was making 60k my second year. None of my boys that graduated in business, accounting, finance were making that. Will graduate in 1.5yrs becoming a CRNA. none of my boys in engineering, business, political science, pharmD and that are pharm reps, medical device salesmen will be making 130k right out of school. Whos the man then? Narrow mindedness will get you only as far as you mind will open up. which apparently is not to far.

No, becoming a nurse will not make you less of a man.

I'm male and a year and a half away from completing my BSN. I've spent time observing surgeries in the OR and am considering working as a perioperative nurse once I graduate.

I actually took a year off from the nursing program and took pre-med classes, since I have always wanted to be a physician, but I weighed the pros and cons of quitting the program and trying to get into med school. Decided that I would be better off finishing the BSN, and then continue with higher level education. I still might try to go to med school, or become a Nurse Anesthetist. I'm young (21) so I have a lot of options to consider without worrying about wasting time.

Being one of only a handful of males in my program (there's only 5 guys out of 110 students) has it's benefits. I'm frequently asked to go to the bar by fellow female nursing students ;)

Revolver said:
Not to be prejudice or prejudgemental against anything but I'm a white male... we are supposed to be doctors.

Got news for ya buddy..... White male admissions to medical school are on the decline, female and ethnicities are on the rise.

I seriously smell troll...

Anyone who is makes blanketed comments about what being a white male does or does not entitle you to, best not get into healthcare, you obviously ARE prejudiced... and you might have some issues with guidelines to ethical conduct when the challenge faces you.

Revolver said:

You have seriously got to be kidding.

Revolver said:
It's not a troll. RN is the only decent paying profession that doesn't have ridiculous pre-admission requirements or is outrageously competitive. The fact that I'm a white male alone would guarantee me admission to the nursing school of my choice.

But it's not what I want to do, it's something I'll be forced to do. What else am I going to do? Waste away year after year getting rejection letters or put on wait lists and not making it? I'm working hard to see that it doesn't happen, but I think GPA is going to be my biggest problem. I'm already handicapped in that area (2 A's and 5 B's with the hardest courses, ochems, physics, and calculus still to come) and I basically need straight A's from here on out to even have a shot. Not to mention that I'll need to do some extra curriculars, and having a full time job right now is preventing me from doing it.

But to be positive, I'm going to do everything I can to try to get into pharmacy school, but if I don't make it, I won't let my hard earned science classes be classified as electives and completely switch to a polar opposite major. So I'll have no choice but to become a nurse.

This settles it...you're definitely a troll.

In many areas, there's a lengthy waitlist for slots in nursing programs, and GPA weighs very heavily. Being a white male is definitely not a guarantee for admission.

Please do the nursing profession a favor: stay far away from nursing. We may have a shortage, but we don't need people with your attitude. I'd rather work shorthanded than with someone like you.

he also has another thread where he had MD as a backup to pharmacy. yeah a troll. funny how they stir everyone up

D-Rob said:
No, becoming a nurse will not make you less of a man.

I'm male and a year and a half away from completing my BSN. I've spent time observing surgeries in the OR and am considering working as a perioperative nurse once I graduate.

I actually took a year off from the nursing program and took pre-med classes, since I have always wanted to be a physician, but I weighed the pros and cons of quitting the program and trying to get into med school. Decided that I would be better off finishing the BSN, and then continue with higher level education. I still might try to go to med school, or become a Nurse Anesthetist. I'm young (21) so I have a lot of options to consider without worrying about wasting time.

Being one of only a handful of males in my program (there's only 5 guys out of 110 students) has it's benefits. I'm frequently asked to go to the bar by fellow female nursing students ;)

This kid is probably the smartest person on this entire forum. Good luck, man! You are doing the right thing. You know what you want and you're working hard to accomplish it. You're also proud of what you're doing. You can't ask for more career-wise.

guetzow said:
However, intentionally putting yourself in a situation where you will be subjected to a daily onlsaught of stereotypes (And...heavy lifting) begs the question....WHY? (.....Put yourself through the daily torture perpetrated by the ignorance of others. And the laziness of female co-workers). The life of a revolutionary trend-challanger is a rough one. Best of luck!

:thumbdown:

Revolver, I was a male nurse before going to medical school. I can't really say that I enjoyed any of it but the pay was good and it allowed the time to do my med school prerecs.

As far as nursing, if you have these doubts going into it you will be absolutely miserable once you get there. But, if you can suck it up and work for just 1 year in an ICU you can apply to CRNA program. You will have more autonomy and respect and make a big fat paycheck. In Tx the CRNAs I knew were pushing 200/yr. That's more than alot of physicians. Seems that most of the guys I knew in the ICU were all going the CRNA route. To me, its the best option short of going to medical school.

Just something to look into.

Good luck.

most male nurses are sissies, all expect for one that i know off. He was a nurse in Iraq. I work around nurses and i hate almost everyone of them. You can tell by their attitudes that they hate that job and that their in it for the money. They always seem to have PMS (male nurses includes) or something. Dont be one of those nurses. Go to med school in the caribean

Revolver said:

Hate to break it to you but you may not get into a nursing school either unless you get your GPA up over 3.5. Our cut off was 3.8 and I have a friend who didn't make it in at another school with a 4.0. (she got in the next year though). We have 6 guys in our class, all white males. They are just part of the group. Nice to have diversity.

Revolver said:

go to a foreign school, go to an osteopathic school, go to dental school, go to podiatry school, go to pharmacy school the fact of the matter is.. you dont want to put in the work to become a doctor.. so thats why you wanna be a nurse.. All the schools i mentioned require a lot of work studying..
its not for weak willed..

armynavy said:
most male nurses are sissies, all expect for one that i know off. He was a nurse in Iraq. I work around nurses and i hate almost everyone of them. You can tell by their attitudes that they hate that job and that their in it for the money. They always seem to have PMS (male nurses includes) or something. Dont be one of those nurses. Go to med school in the caribean

Oh, yeah...I'm just rolling in all the dough I've made as a nurse. :rolleyes:

Go ahead and keep hating nurses. You'll reap what you sow.

I'm in the same boat.... Switched majors so many times its not even funny. But i'm stuck in choosing from my first choice, Pharmacy, PA, and Nursing.
Right now i'm a bio student with 3 years left of school, but if i decide to do nursing i can finish in the same amount of time and be able to work after i graduate, and then maybe go back to school again.

Revolver said:

Go for pharmacy, RUN FROM NURSING! This suggestion applies to any man considering nursing. Do not become a nurse! Currently, I'm a male nurse (LPN) going back to school this fall, undertaking either pre-med or PA course work. Trust me when I say YOU WILL FEEL LIKE LESS OF A MAN. The stereotype that "all male nurses are gay" is stupid, but it's a very real stereotype that exists none-the-less. If you’re married than so what, ignore the stereotype. But if you’re young and single like myself, it sucks because women have no interest in dating a “male nurse”. I’ve experienced this first-hand. Not only that, but eventually you’re female nursing colleagues will perceive you as “one of the girls”. It will happen. With this in mind, who really cares if you’re in a class w/90% women?

Comparatively speaking, the nurse pay to education ratio is good to very good IMO. But as a male, you have to ask yourself if the pay is worth it.

Honestly, I enjoyed nursing. But when reflecting, I wish somebody had smacked me in the back of the head! Hey, you live, you learn. Now I sincerely aspire to become a doctor more than ANYTHING. I feel my knowledge and talents are compromised as a nurse, and will eventually be better utilized as either a PA/MD/DO. I offer opinions only, not biblical truth, so no flaming please.

Steve

You are NOT a nurse. you are an LPN. There is a signifigant difference.

I have never run into stereotypes and quite enjoyed being a man amoungst hundreads of women.. who like men.

Let me see...

I fly in a helicopter, i wear a flight suit, i work autonomously. I have, bar none one of the coolest jobs of anyone I know. Ive dated more women than your age my first year of nursing school. I even married one of them.

Please, you know absolutely nothing. You offer no truth but the truth of your own ignorance.

Dr. Steve-O said:
Go for pharmacy, RUN FROM NURSING! This suggestion applies to any man considering nursing. Do not become a nurse! Currently, I'm a male nurse (LPN) going back to school this fall, undertaking either pre-med or PA course work. Trust me when I say YOU WILL FEEL LIKE LESS OF A MAN. The stereotype that "all male nurses are gay" is stupid, but it's a very real stereotype that exists none-the-less. If you’re married than so what, ignore the stereotype. But if you’re young and single like myself, it sucks because women have no interest in dating a “male nurse”. I’ve experienced this first-hand. Not only that, but eventually you’re female nursing colleagues will perceive you as “one of the girls”. It will happen. With this in mind, who really cares if you’re in a class w/90% women?

Comparatively speaking, the nurse pay to education ratio is good to very good IMO. But as a male, you have to ask yourself if the pay is worth it.

Honestly, I enjoyed nursing. But when reflecting, I wish somebody had smacked me in the back of the head! Hey, you live, you learn. Now I sincerely aspire to become a doctor more than ANYTHING. I feel my knowledge and talents are compromised as a nurse, and will eventually be better utilized as either a PA/MD/DO. I offer opinions only, not biblical truth, so no flaming please.

Mike MacKinnon said:
Steve

I have never run into stereotypes and quite enjoyed being a man amoungst hundreads of women.. who like men.

Let me see...

I fly in a helicopter, i wear a flight suit, i work autonomously. I have, bar none one of the coolest jobs of anyone I know. Ive dated more women than your age my first year of nursing school. I even married one of them.

Please, you know absolutely nothing. You offer no truth but the truth of your own ignorance.

Zing! :rolleyes:

Mike MacKinnon said:
Steve

Let me see...

What does the "N" stand for in LPN? I always assumed it was nurse...how ignorant of me.

Dr. Steve-O said:
[/B]

I've been a nurse for 32 years and I've found it difficult to be less of a man with all those nurses (and other healthcare professionals) on me, LOL! Face it, you just have a problem.

Its LPN

The difference is as signifigant as EMT or EMT-P.

Are you all medics? No, you are not. A medic (which i am as well) is someone who can do ALS, I's and P's. The EMT (Basic) drives the truck 90% of the time.

Its a considerable difference.

LPN = EMT-B to an RN.

a_ditchdoc said:
What does the "N" stand for in LPN? I always assumed it was nurse...how ignorant of me.

Mike MacKinnon said:
Its LPN

The difference is as signifigant as EMT or EMT-P.

Are you all medics? No, you are not. A medic (which i am as well) is someone who can do ALS, I's and P's. The EMT (Basic) drives the truck 90% of the time.

Its a considerable difference.

LPN = EMT-B to an RN.

You are so delusional/irrational, I won't even respond to the above. But I will say your slander of LPNs is quite immature. LPN=Licensed Practical NURSE. Your post above is a complete fabrication. You, without a doubt, have no idea what you're talking about. Therefore I won't dignify your unintelligible, thoughtless, gibberish further. You "Internet Tough Guys" are such tools. Really, you are. :rolleyes:

Steve

Your a kiddie to me buddy. Ive been a paramedic/RN for 10 years now. This isnt my first rodeo just a different set of clowns.

While you wouldnt know it b/c your so young, it wasent that long agin that LPNs were called CNAs in many parts of the country and Canada (Certified Nursing Assistants). This political name change added the "Nurse" part to the end. However, Nurse is associated with RN in the hospital and the roles are 100% totally different. You will never work in the ER, Trauma Room or CVICU (or any ICU) with me. Nor will you ever be plying in the aircraft, placing chest tubes, intubating or doing central lines. In fact, you wont even be giving drugs (except PO) just anout anywhere but nursing homes.

It isnt slander bud, its the reality. Would you like me to post the LPN scope of practice?

Dr. Steve-O said:
You are so delusional/irrational, I won't even respond to the above. But I will say your slander of LPNs is quite immature. LPN=Licensed Practical NURSE. Your post above is a complete fabrication. You, without a doubt, have no idea what you're talking about. Therefore I won't dignify your unintelligible, thoughtless, gibberish further. You "Internet Tough Guys" are such tools. Really, you are. :rolleyes:

Mike MacKinnon said:
Steve

Your a kiddie to me buddy. Ive been a paramedic/RN for 10 years now. This isnt my first rodeo just a different set of clowns.

While you wouldnt know it b/c your so young, it wasent that long agin that LPNs were called CNAs in many parts of the country and Canada (Certified Nursing Assistants). This political name change added the "Nurse" part to the end. However, Nurse is associated with RN in the hospital and the roles are 100% totally different. You will never work in the ER, Trauma Room or CVICU (or any ICU) with me. Nor will you ever be plying in the aircraft, placing chest tubes, intubating or doing central lines. In fact, you wont even be giving drugs (except PO) just anout anywhere but nursing homes.

It isnt slander bud, its the reality. Would you like me to post the LPN scope of practice?

Wow, I am in such awe of you! Have you really been an RN/paramedic for 10 whole years?! WOW! Can I have your autograph? :rolleyes:

Truth be told TOPGUN, I could really give a crap less as I will one day be a physician. Though as an LPN (or overvalued/overpaid CNA/EMT in your biased opinion), I’ve performed admission physical assessments, distributed medications via PO, SQ, IM routes, executed IV insertion/monitored IV therapy, introduced NG tubes/monitored NG/PEG therapy, straight cathed/initiated Foleys, Wound Vacs, etc, etc, etc. I read labs, process physician orders, perform numerous treatments, monitor Diabetics BS, O2 patients pulse oximetry, etc. And you have the audacity to tell me LPNs=CNA/EMT-B?!? What a joke. I could do your job with my eyes closed.

I know the trade/generic names as well as pharmacological classifications and therapeutic benefits of over 400 medications. Do you? Did think so. I’m confident I could pass the NCLEX-RN tomorrow without as much as opening a book first. Notice I could just as easily claim that you are an overpaid LPN. See how I flipped that?

And regarded your deified scope of practice: I know, I know you’re bursting with your own pomposity. But just because LPNs aren’t allowed to do something, that doesn’t mean they’re too stupid to do it like you’re so arrogantly and condescendingly suggesting.

Lastly, RNs can't intubate, insert chest tubes/central lines. Are you really an RN or just some troll?

Ahhh

Ignorance rears its ugly head.

You come in here an denegrate my chosen profession and wonder why I call you on your BS and ignorance. Tsk Tsk.

Let me educate you youngling.

Dr. Steve-O said:
I’ve performed admission physical assessments, distributed medications via PO, SQ, IM routes, executed IV insertion/monitored IV therapy, introduced NG tubes/monitored NG/PEG therapy, straight cathed/initiated Foleys, Wound Vacs, etc, etc, etc. I read labs, process physician orders, perform numerous treatments, monitor Diabetics BS, O2 patients pulse oximetry, etc.What a joke. I could do your job with my eyes closed.

This just shows how little you know about what you DONT do. You also dont know what an EMT-B is trained to do either. Also turns out you cant read. LPNs used to be CALLED CNAs. Now a CNA is one step down.

As for you doing what I do? I dont think so Tim. You dont even know the basics yet you have the arrogance to challenge me. Funny.

Dr. Steve-O said:
I know the trade/generic names as well as pharmacological classifications and therapeutic benefits of over 400 medications. Do you? Did think so.

Just for the record, i dont believe you. Now that the fact that your a liar has been established, Ive used more drugs than youve seen. Lets not get sidetracked by your ego.

Dr. Steve-O said:
I’m confident I could pass the NCLEX-RN tomorrow without as much as opening a book first. Notice I could just as easily claim that you are an overpaid LPN. See how I flipped that?

Ooo Your such an intellectual. :laugh: Buddy, the NCLEX, the MCAT, the USMLE's etc etc. None of these are the standard by which a practitioner is measured. EXPERIENCE is the standard. These exams are nothing. Its another hoop one has to jump through to start the REAL education. Oh, but for the record, you would fail the NCLEX as you have not learned the information to pass. Oh, but you wouldnt know that since you Dont know What you DONT know.

Dr. Steve-O said:
And regarded your deified scope of practice: I know, I know you’re bursting with your own pomposity. But just because LPNs aren’t allowed to do something, that doesn’t mean they’re too stupid to do it like you’re so arrogantly and condescendingly suggesting.

Ah i did not say there was any coorelation between intellect and job. However, without the education, you would not be able to simply do these things.

Dr. Steve-O said:
Lastly, RNs can't intubate, insert chest tubes/central lines. Are you really an RN or just some troll?

Ah again, ignorance. Its quite interesting that you jump to amke these statements without any real education or knowledge to back them up... oh or any proof.

It is well within the scope of practice. The limiting factor is hospital policy. However, i am a Flight Nurse. In my practice i give drugs at my disgression as well as insert chest tubes, intubate, do central lines, escharotomy, fasciotomy, Arterial line insertion, surgical cricothyrotomy, pericardiocentesis ,manage IABPs and VADS. Even done some ECMO. All without a physician. It is well within my scope of practice. Do a google search on "Flight Nurse Scope of Practice". Amazing what getting your brain engaged before your mouth (or fingers) get in gear will do for you.

Oh youngling steve. Let me guess, you work on a med surg floor or in a nursing home perhaps? Of course you do. That is NOT where critical care happens. That is NOT the area where an RN is working to educational scope. That is WHY there are LPNs there. Now, until you have some proof to present... stop making yourself look like a fool.

Oh and P.S.
Dr. Steve-O said:
I will one day be a physician

Yes, i believe i have heard that dozens of times. With your current attitude that will never happen.

Mike MacKinnon said:
Ahhh

Ignorance rears its ugly head.

You come in here an denegrate my chosen profession and wonder why I call you on your BS and ignorance. Tsk Tsk.

Let me educate you youngling.

This just shows how little you know about what you DONT do. You also dont know what an EMT-B is trained to do either. Also turns out you cant read. LPNs used to be CALLED CNAs. Now a CNA is one step down.

As for you doing what I do? I dont think so Tim. You dont even know the basics yet you have the arrogance to challenge me. Funny.

Just for the record, i dont believe you. Now that the fact that your a liar has been established, Ive used more drugs than youve seen. Lets not get sidetracked by your ego.

Ooo Your such an intellectual. :laugh: Buddy, the NCLEX, the MCAT, the USMLE's etc etc. None of these are the standard by which a practitioner is measured. EXPERIENCE is the standard. These exams are nothing. Its another hoop one has to jump through to start the REAL education. Oh, but for the record, you would fail the NCLEX as you have not learned the information to pass. Oh, but you wouldnt know that since you Dont know What you DONT know.

Ah i did not say there was any coorelation between intellect and job. However, without the education, you would not be able to simply do these things.

Ah again, ignorance. Its quite interesting that you jump to amke these statements without any real education or knowledge to back them up... oh or any proof.

It is well within the scope of practice. The limiting factor is hospital policy. However, i am a Flight Nurse. In my practice i give drugs at my disgression as well as insert chest tubes, intubate, do central lines, escharotomy, fasciotomy, Arterial line insertion, surgical cricothyrotomy, pericardiocentesis ,manage IABPs and VADS. Even done some ECMO. All without a physician. It is well within my scope of practice. Do a google search on "Flight Nurse Scope of Practice". Amazing what getting your brain engaged before your mouth (or fingers) get in gear will do for you.

Oh youngling steve. Let me guess, you work on a med surg floor or in a nursing home perhaps? Of course you do. That is NOT where critical care happens. That is NOT the area where an RN is working to educational scope. That is WHY there are LPNs there. Now, until you have some proof to present... stop making yourself look like a fool.

Oh and P.S.

Yes, i believe i have heard that dozens of times. With your current attitude that will never happen.

Sticks and stones, Mike. We're all on the same team. All the best. :)

Hey Steve ;)

It was fun to argue tho!

Good luck on your quest to become a physician. Use the passion you have to do well!

Good luck!

Mike MacKinnon said:
Hey Steve ;)

It was fun to argue tho!

Good luck on your quest to become a physician. Use the passion you have to do well!

Good luck!

It was quite fun, nothing wrong with a little debate. Are you going back to school to become a physician? I read thru some of your old posts and it looks like you were interested at one time? Thanks, and good luck to you also! :)

I had planned to yah.

I did all of the pre reqs and was accepted to 2 schools in Ireland. However, it is much easier to decide not to do something once you have an acceptance ;) I have always been split between CRNA and MD/DO. Once i got the acceptance to a CRNA school and an MD school i just had to make the decision that was best overall for me.

Turns out thats CRNA school :) I felt that graduating from med school at 43-44 just wasent what i wanted.

Your young, go for it!

Nice War!!!

To the OP-
As a RN that is one member of the 8% of murses in this country I got 3 words for ya-

You go Girl!!