Will EVERY program you apply to respond with either "Yes/No interview"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knicks

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do/will some programs who don't/won't offer an interview not even respond?

Members don't see this ad.

I asked the same question & from what I've heard from people who've been through the match is that you will never hear from a huge chunk of the programs.

I'll be calling a handful of programs that I really like at the beginning of December if I don't hear back from them. Otherwise, I'll just take no answer as a negative response.

Do/will some programs who don't/won't offer an interview not even respond?

Yes...the "hit" rate on this will be between 0-100%. Some programs are infamous for this behavior (Stanford). But in the end, you'll hear from most programs one way or another. If you haven't heard by the end of January, it's probably safe to say you won't be going there.

I asked the same question & from what I've heard from people who've been through the match is that you will never hear from a huge chunk of the programs.

I'll be calling a handful of programs that I really like at the beginning of December if I don't hear back from them. Otherwise, I'll just take no answer as a negative response.

Yeah, you won't hear from everyone. And there are always even one or two programs that finally will send out their interview rejections crazy late, like February, just in case you didn't figure it out.

So never hearing from a program = you ain't going there, right? (sort of a rhetorical question).

Why wouldn't they respond with a "no", though? I'd rather receive a "no" rather than not hearing from them at all.

So never hearing from a program = you ain't going there, right? (sort of a rhetorical question).

Why wouldn't they respond with a "no", though? I'd rather receive a "no" rather than not hearing from them at all.

Because they're too lazy to and won't face any type of consequences from it.

A "no" is hard to walk back if a program has a lot of cancellations and are worried that they won't have a large enough cushion when it's time to make the rank list. I have occasionally regretted sending regrets too early. One year we completely misjudged the applicant pool and ended up in the Scramble.