Will having kids stand in my way when applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Emperor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have two beutiful girls ages 3 and 4. Will med-schools look down on this even with my academic credetials? I know their not supposed to, but will they anyway?

Members don't see this ad.

You'll only get in if you give one to the Dean.

No, it shouldn't hurt you at all. Lots of medical students have kids. They might ask you what your plans are for child care (some people will say they aren't allowed to ask this, and I don't know what the real rule is, but it seems to be a not uncommon question). Just as long as you have good credentials you'll be fine. In some situations it might even help you, but I wouldn't count on this either.

I might be pregnant during my interviews. Now THAT is something I worry about, but even so only a little. You just have to have a good answer to the childcare question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Emperor said:
I have two beutiful girls ages 3 and 4. Will med-schools look down on this even with my academic credetials? I know their not supposed to, but will they anyway?
Not at all. Being a medical student is demanding, but so is being a doctor. If having kids got in the way of being a doctor then no doctor could ever have kids. You'll be fine. I'll be a dad in less than two months (1st kid), and I'm a first year med student. I'll also be doing research this summer and be just like everyone else in med school.

I agree; it shouldn't be a problem. Just remember that if you mention it in your personal statement or draw attention to it in any other way it kinda becomes fair game to adcoms. If this is the case then, yeah, you should be ready to show that you've accounted for the many hrs you will necessarily have to spend away from your children by planning for realistic childcare arrangements.
I have a daughter and mentioned it in my PS and was always asked about it (btw I don't think it was ever really held it against me -- I got 5 interviews out of 13 apps) I am young (23) and not married but am fortunate enough to have family that will care for her for the 1st year or 2. Your situation may be different; but as long as you show them that you've thought about it and have a practical idea about the type of time commitment med school is they should be understanding.

Emperor said:

You will be fine. I have a five year old son. I interviewed at four schools and every interviewer (except one student interviewer) asked about my plans. Have a solid answer and you will be fine.

BTW, don't make a big deal about it when interviewing because it really isn't, but if your interviewer thinks you have a problem with it then he/she might think that you can't handle it. See. Don't sweat it. You'll be fine.