Will I be able to get into a nursing program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fliblu39

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi currently I am a student who was dismissed from NYU due to a really low GPA of 1.8 and enrolled/transferred into Bergen Community College in the hopes of getting better grades and proving to NYU that I am capable of doing well in school. I did extremely poorly during my freshman and sophomore year at NYU and got dismissed. I then quickly realized that I wasted my time and it was time for me to wake up. During the time I was taking classes at BCC, I realized that I want to go into nursing and want to transfer into a nursing program where I am able to study public health as well. I have taken:
- Gen Bio I - A
- Intro to Chem - A
- Currently taking Gen Bio II - with a 101.74 average
- Currently taking Gen Chem I - with a 98.8 average
- Currently taking Sociology (online) - with a 100 average
- Currently taking Gen Psychology - with no average yet
Currently I have a 4.0 GPA. I have done some research and saw that many nursing programs require that transfer students take Anatomy & Physiology I & II and Microbiology, which I am planning to take this summer or this fall.
I am thinking of applying back at NYU Nursing but I'm not confident that I will get back in to the school. Of course, I am planning to apply to other nursing schools as well. Will this be possible with the stats that I have thus far or would it be best to wait and take a few more courses to prove that I am not a failing student and want to be able to enroll in a nursing program (preferably a Nursing/MPH program)? I know grades aren't everything but in my case I feel like it is a big part. If it weren't for my academic failure at NYU, I would have graduated by this year...I am still 21 so I am hoping that there is hope for me? Advice please!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Just a observation, but a forum for medical school applicants is probably not high yield for this sort of information.

Consider allnurses or what not for that.

Reactions: 1 user
Just a observation, but a forum for medical school applicants is probably not high yield for this sort of information.

Consider allnurses or what not for that.

Oh...didn't know a nursing website/forum existed. Thank you!