Will I be able to handle this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Breezy2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the very beginning stages of this process. I still have to take all of the science pre-req's but I just wanted to see if anyone on here has had my same doubts.

I love animals. They are my only true passion in life. I'm 31 years old and dabbled in a little of everything but my passion has always been animals. The thing I fear is, I don't like seeing them hurt of suffer. It makes me so sad to see road kill and it breaks my heart to see those Humane Society and ASPCA commercials (I always change the channel). Anyone here ever felt the same way? Am I too emotionally weak to handle this journey?

Any thoughts are welcome!!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the advice. I have contacted several places and will hopefully begin my volunteer work this summer. I am very familiar with the tuition and process. Fortunately, $ is not the driving force here. I simply want to pursue my passion. My real concern is over-saturation in the field. What are your thoughts on that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Fortunately, $ is not the driving force here. I simply want to pursue my passion.
Yes, but I'm guessing you want to purse your passion while not living in a bachelor apartment, driving a 10 year old beater and eating kraft dinner. Everyone says "money is not a concern" until they are faced with the reality of not being able to pay the bills. Money is not the be all and end all, but it should be a factor in your decision. And actually, money is inexorably linked to your next point...
My real concern is over-saturation in the field. What are your thoughts on that?
As the field gets over-saturated (and it is, despite what the AVMA likes to say), salaries suffer.

Yes, but I'm guessing you want to purse your passion while not living in a bachelor apartment, driving a 10 year old beater and eating kraft dinner. Everyone says "money is not a concern" until they are faced with the reality of not being able to pay the bills. Money is not the be all and end all, but it should be a factor in your decision. And actually, money is inexorably linked to your next point...

As the field gets over-saturated (and it is, despite what the AVMA likes to say), salaries suffer.

Did you have trouble finding work? You just graduated, yes?

Did you have trouble finding work? You just graduated, yes?
I found a job before graduation. But I'm in Canada, and the job market seems to be better here (I feel like there's been less growth in class sizes even with the addition of UCVM, but I don't have numbers to back that up). I was also willing to go to a less than desireable location for a good job offer. I think there's still a reasonable amount of work out there though salaries/locations may not be what people want, but with the rate of seats being added and schools being added, I can't say I'm optimistic what the job market will look like in 5 years or so when you might be graduating.

if i were single i might have been fine with those circumstances :p

it is still over-saturated. but there are more corporate jobs open

if i were single i might have been fine with those circumstances :p
I am single with no plans to be otherwise (married? kids? ew....), and I readily admit I'm not fine with those circumstances. I've been doing that for 10 years during my BSc and DVM degrees, plus we were paycheque-to-paycheque while I was growing up. I fully confess that I want cable and a big TV and to buy expensive cheese and the odd bottle of wine or a few bottles of cider and maybe even get a car that *gasp* was made in this decade.

I am single with no plans to be otherwise (married? kids? ew....), and I readily admit I'm not fine with those circumstances. I've been doing that for 10 years during my BSc and DVM degrees, plus we were paycheque-to-paycheque while I was growing up. I fully confess that I want cable and a big TV and to buy expensive cheese and the odd bottle of wine or a few bottles of cider and maybe even get a car that *gasp* was made in this decade.
i was just noting that I enjoy kraft mac and cheese (or kraft dinner as you Canadians call it).

Reactions: 1 user
[QUOTE="Breezy2015, post: 16600635, member: 699628" it breaks my heart to see those Humane Society and ASPCA commercials[/QUOTE]

Just want to point out that those commercials are completely marketing driven and purposely make you feel horrible for the animals so you send money. They are not something you should base your emotions on as far as animal welfare is concerned. Particularly since the HSUS isn't hugely concerned with animal welfare to begin with. I change the channel for the HSUS ones because of the hypocrisy; I change channel for the ASPCA ones cause I just can't stand that song.

I have to agree with the consensus on money. I live with my parents and they both lost their jobs this last January. My mom lost her business of 14 years in an industry she has been involved in for 34 years. She is probably going to walk out on her job today because of how horrid the current company she works for now is. My dad lost his favorite job he's had in probably 20 years or more. While my mom's income wasn't always great (2008-2012 was rough), my dad made some nice bank. The plan was that I wasn't going to have to work during the spring and summer semesters and only focus on school cause my parents were doing so well. When they lost their jobs, it was either I get a job, or us and the dogs go without food and my late Australian Shepherd goes without his prescriptions, not to mention my prescriptions as well. My parents barely made enough combined for about three months to keep the house. There was a plan set up for us to move in with my grandparents if the bank foreclosed on us. Thankfully, my dad left his previous job on great terms and was able to go back after about three months after a bunch of paperwork crap. Now we don't have to worry so much, but it still isn't the same. My parents aren't happy for two main reasons: 1) they hate their jobs and 2) the money struggle put a massive toll on them. I'm thankful that I found a job that I love that pays decent so my parents didn't have to worry about certain things like our sick dog.

My point is, everyone says money doesn't buy happiness, or that you'll be happy doing what you love no matter what. All that crap goes out the window when you think you'll lose your home and you'll have to euthanize your dog because you can't pay for his medication. Sure, money doesn't directly buy happiness. But money buys your food, medicine, and home, and from January up until very recently, that's all we wanted to be happy.

I'd definitely start out by spending some time in vet clinics.

That said, a love of animals is not a good reason to become a veterinarian. The skills that I use on a daily basis are problem solving, research, mechanical/hand-eye-coordination skills (in-heat dog spay today, yuck) and, definitely most importantly, sales / client education. Yes, there's a knowledge on some level that I'm helping the patients (ideally, in a good day)... but I don't typically get to do more than the occasional puppy/kitten cuddle and even that is being done as I try to talk the client into vaccines and other preventive care.

If love of animals is your driving force, you may want to look into something like zookeeping, petsitting, or veterinary technician. Those fields will give you more quality interaction with pets than being the actual veterinarian. I saw 20 dogs and cats today and can't really remember any of them because I was too busy working to connect with those animals.... my three technicians, though, were each responsible for only 6-8 of those patients and they DID have the time to make a connection and get cuddles/kisses.

I am (almost) 30 and I have worked for the past six years in Marketing. Veterinary Medicine was always my dream but I thought to be a vet you had to be a genius and that idea was quickly disputed in high school geometry. Anyways, I worked, I grew up and I realized you might want to like what you do considering you have to do it the rest of your life! And I also realized that you can do ANYTHING you are willing to work for. I am applying this summer and my application will be competitive at my school of choice (Michigan State).

With that being said. I get it. I love animals BUT and this is a huge BUT, you have to love medicine/science. I have done a lot of time shadowing and in this profession you will see the most horrifying and the most heartwarming. Both of which you must meet with the same integrity. I think once you work with a vet you will have a better idea if this profession is for you. Loving animals is not enough.

As far as saturation of the job market. Indeed it is an issue and something to consider. You have to be willing to go where the jobs are and work to stand out in your area of speciality. Its competitive getting in and competitive when you come out.

Hope once you get some time in the clinic you find the answers you are looking for! Wish you the best in your journey!

I am (almost) 30 and I have worked for the past six years in Marketing. Veterinary Medicine was always my dream but I thought to be a vet you had to be a genius and that idea was quickly disputed in high school geometry. Anyways, I worked, I grew up and I realized you might want to like what you do considering you have to do it the rest of your life! And I also realized that you can do ANYTHING you are willing to work for. I am applying this summer and my application will be competitive at my school of choice (Michigan State).

With that being said. I get it. I love animals BUT and this is a huge BUT, you have to love medicine/science. I have done a lot of time shadowing and in this profession you will see the most horrifying and the most heartwarming. Both of which you must meet with the same integrity. I think once you work with a vet you will have a better idea if this profession is for you. Loving animals is not enough.

As far as saturation of the job market. Indeed it is an issue and something to consider. You have to be willing to go where the jobs are and work to stand out in your area of speciality. Its competitive getting in and competitive when you come out.

Hope once you get some time in the clinic you find the answers you are looking for! Wish you the best in your journey!
LuckySpartan,

Thank you for your advice. I will be reaching out to my dog's current vet tomorrow to see if he would be willing to let me shadow him for a day or two. This small step should give me a bit of an idea as to whether this can be track for me.

Being 31 and dabbling in several different professions has been less than rewarding and I want nothing else than to know that I make a difference on an every day basis. This decision certainly would not be based on how much I love playing with pups but rather, looking back and knowing that on different occasions, I made a difference in their lives.

[QUOTE="Breezy2015, post: 16600635, member: 699628" it breaks my heart to see those Humane Society and ASPCA commercials

Just want to point out that those commercials are completely marketing driven and purposely make you feel horrible for the animals so you send money. They are not something you should base your emotions on as far as animal welfare is concerned. Particularly since the HSUS isn't hugely concerned with animal welfare to begin with. I change the channel for the HSUS ones because of the hypocrisy; I change channel for the ASPCA ones cause I just can't stand that song.

I have to agree with the consensus on money. I live with my parents and they both lost their jobs this last January. My mom lost her business of 14 years in an industry she has been involved in for 34 years. She is probably going to walk out on her job today because of how horrid the current company she works for now is. My dad lost his favorite job he's had in probably 20 years or more. While my mom's income wasn't always great (2008-2012 was rough), my dad made some nice bank. The plan was that I wasn't going to have to work during the spring and summer semesters and only focus on school cause my parents were doing so well. When they lost their jobs, it was either I get a job, or us and the dogs go without food and my late Australian Shepherd goes without his prescriptions, not to mention my prescriptions as well. My parents barely made enough combined for about three months to keep the house. There was a plan set up for us to move in with my grandparents if the bank foreclosed on us. Thankfully, my dad left his previous job on great terms and was able to go back after about three months after a bunch of paperwork crap. Now we don't have to worry so much, but it still isn't the same. My parents aren't happy for two main reasons: 1) they hate their jobs and 2) the money struggle put a massive toll on them. I'm thankful that I found a job that I love that pays decent so my parents didn't have to worry about certain things like our sick dog.

My point is, everyone says money doesn't buy happiness, or that you'll be happy doing what you love no matter what. All that crap goes out the window when you think you'll lose your home and you'll have to euthanize your dog because you can't pay for his medication. Sure, money doesn't directly buy happiness. But money buys your food, medicine, and home, and from January up until very recently, that's all we wanted to be happy.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response. I didn't mean that money isn't an issue in a naive way. I'm 31 and I understand the complexities of life and the unfortunate curveballs that come our way at times. I think what I more so meant was that, I'd rather start off making 50K in a career that I'm passionate about than start out the same in a new career that I hate. This economy is extremely difficult no matter what field your in. Recent college grads can't get jobs, people 10-15 years into their careers are stuck and can't progress. It's tough all around and I don't want to base this decision on solely that. I'm really glad to hear that your family ultimately figured everything out...It sounds like you guys had a really close call there.

LuckySpartan,

I'm curious as to how you did when you (presumably) went back to school to take your science and math requirements? I was a psych major and only took stats in undergrad so I'm nervous about how I will do since I haven't taken any math or science in YEARS!

LuckySpartan,

I'm curious as to how you did when you (presumably) went back to school to take your science and math requirements? I was a psych major and only took stats in undergrad so I'm nervous about how I will do since I haven't taken any math or science in YEARS!

When earning my BBA I was at a private business school so I only had to take classes revenant to my degree. So I had zero science in my background and only accounting as far as math goes. Going back to school was VERY VERY difficult, mainly because I had to change the way my mind worked. I was a dedicated student and did nothing but walk my dog and study. I have earned a 4.0 in almost all my prerequisites except for three where I have a 3.5. If you want it, if you are willing to work your tail off... its there for the taking!

When earning my BBA I was at a private business school so I only had to take classes revenant to my degree. So I had zero science in my background and only accounting as far as math goes. Going back to school was VERY VERY difficult, mainly because I had to change the way my mind worked. I was a dedicated student and did nothing but walk my dog and study. I have earned a 4.0 in almost all my prerequisites except for three where I have a 3.5. If you want it, if you are willing to work your tail off... its there for the taking!
That's the mindset I'm going in with. That's so awesome--sounds like you've put in the work and it's paying off! When did you get your animal/vet experience. I assume that once i start the post-bac it will be very difficult to get hours in. I'm starting volunteer work tomorrow and hope to get a significant amount of hours this summer. Are you applying next year?

That's the mindset I'm going in with. That's so awesome--sounds like you've put in the work and it's paying off! When did you get your animal/vet experience. I assume that once i start the post-bac it will be very difficult to get hours in. I'm starting volunteer work tomorrow and hope to get a significant amount of hours this summer. Are you applying next year?

I stopped working November of 2012, took a trip to Africa then started getting in my vet hours that January before starting school in June. I have been accumulating hours continuously on school breaks and weekends. Grant you before traveling down this road I was on the board of a local animal rescue so I had already fostered many relationships with vets and it was easy to start off getting at least 20 hours per week. Some places limit the amount of time they accept students shadowing. I am in the process of applying right now :)