Medical Will immediate acceptance hurt my chances of a scholarship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
I have recently been accepted to my dream school. I would love to go ahead and lock my future in; however, I've heard that doing so may encourage the school to not offer scholarships. The idea is that they know I want to go there regardless, so they will not offer me as much of a scholarship. If I wait and have leverage/scholarships at other schools, I could use this to get more scholarships. But that seems convoluted. Does anyone have good advice on whether to wait or take it?

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
There’s no hurry on this right? You have until 5/1 to narrow down to one offer?

Even if you know what you are going to do, there is no incentive to commit right now. Take your time and get whatever financial support you can get.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have recently been accepted to my dream school. I would love to go ahead and lock my future in; however, I've heard that doing so may encourage the school to not offer scholarships. The idea is they know I want to go there regardless so they will not offer me as much scholarship. If I wait and have leverage/scholarships at other schools, I could use this to get more scholarships. But that seems convoluted. Does anyone have good advice on whether to wait or take it? \n \n — Experts please respond to this post —
Every school works scholarships very differently, and there really isn't any negotiation room. This isn't like negotiating for a salary for a job. Each scholarship has specific criteria and a budget limitation. So unless there are a ton of endowed scholarships from alumni, you should be happy with the dream school and work with financial aid to see what you can do to lower your cost of attendance and find other external scholarship funds.

There are more scholarships available to you once you prove yourself in medical school. Place your focus there, especially if you don't want to leave your dream school.

Be honest about the process, withdraw from your other schools, know your "Commit" rules, and don't play around. You have more things to think about later and it's a relief not to think about other schools or playing some sort of game between offers. If you want to go to the school that you accepted an offer from, don't try to play around like a bachelor before wedding day.

Status
Not open for further replies.