Medical Will med/podiatry understand W's on my transcript

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wanting to apply to med or podiatry school, but I had to withdraw from classes in my last years of college due to a traumatic that resulted in me having PTSD. I was in over my head by taking demanding courses without getting through the issue. I don't want this to affect my application, because it was something out of my control. Can I explain this on the application?
An entire semester of ws is EXACTLY what they're for in your situation. Very sorry to hear of your woes. Ws are not Fs, BTW.

They're only problematic when one sees many scattered Ws in a sea of good grades. That's a tip off that the student was trying to salvage the GPA

Members don't see this ad.

Agree with above--a pattern of scattered W's throughout college appears much more suspect than a semester of all W's. The latter makes it clear that some sort of major event must have happened that required you to step back from school, and honestly I would see that as a sign of maturity. Many people push forward thinking "I can handle it," and then wind up with a bunch of suboptimal grades, or worse, a damaged personal life.

Kudos to you for recognizing that you needed to step back, overcoming this horrible event, and coming back and continuing to excel. Whether or not you choose to explain this on your application is up to you. If you do choose to address it, a short explanation like you gave here is likely sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.