Will pharmacy experience count for PA school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DavidIcke

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I was wondering if my work experience as a pharmacist in another country and my work experience as a pharmacy technician here in the States would count for the healthcare experience requirements for PA schools?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

depends on the school. call individual programs and ask. older programs will likely say "no" as they consider direct hce to be nurse, medic, rt, etc
newer programs will likely accept it.

Hi. Thank you very much for your reply and for taking the time for me.

Yes, I am interested in Emory's PA program. I plan on starting an EMT program this Fall.

I found your post at another forum from a few years ago and yes, I can understand now that being a pharmacist and pharmacy technician did not give me these skills:

with all this talk about minimum skills I thought I would post a list of what I feel are the absolute minimum skills one should possess before applying to pa school-feel free to add to my list folks...
1. medical terminology, either a formal course or a self taught course with a textbook and medical dictionary.
2. learn to take and interpret a blood pressure/pulse/resp.rate/temp/o2 sat
3. learn how to draw blood and give im and subcutaneous injections
4. learn how to check a blood glucose and basic measures if it is too high or especially too low
5. talk to people from all walks of life comfortably, whether they be nice old ladies or abusive gangbangers high on drugs( don't try that on your own time-best to do that while in the er with a security guy around
6. learn how to control bleeding whether it be arterial or venous
7. learn how to administer oxygen by mask/nasal cannula/or bag valve mask
8. learn how to apply basic splints

this is essentially a red cross first responder course(40-60 hrs, that's the level below emt and above advanced 1st aid) plus a few medical assistant level skills

my entire starting class in pa school was comfortable with at least the skills on the above list.

for the more adventurous:
an acls and/or pals course including airway management
iv skills

http://www.physicianassistantforum....p/2395-need-help-choosing-a-path-to-PA-school!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. I was wondering if my work experience as a pharmacist in another country and my work experience as a pharmacy technician here in the States would count for the healthcare experience requirements for PA schools?

Thanks.
Take a look at Mercer also. They specifically mention pharmacist as meeting their requirements. Emory is pretty open but you should talk to them.
Good luck.

David Carpenter, PA-C