Will poor unrelated science grades keep me from getting in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BetaBullet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I was a psychology major my first two years. Then I switched over to biology my third and fourth year. I am back on the psychology track.

A major depression really interfered with my grades, and my head wasn't on straight. During my biology years, I got one C (biology 1), a B- (physics I), a D (physics II), 4 B's (biology 2, ochem 1, ochem 1L, ochem 2L) and a W (ochem 2).

I know that will factor into my cumulative GPA, but I am asking you guys if such grades will hold me back. If that's the case, would I be better off retaking them once I graduate (I can only do that as a post-bacc, except for the D in physics.)?

Would I be wasting time and money by applying to grad schools?

I am planning on applying for a PhD program in the fall. My cumulative GPA right now is 3.65 and my psych GPA is 4 (only JC classes though, I am taking 4 upper division psych classes this semester). I am going to take a practice GRE on the 14th so I'll update you guys on that too.

Members don't see this ad.

Well research experience is pretty important as far as PhD programs go, so depending on what your level of experience there is, that will probably effect your admission most.

I don't think your GPA will be an issue. Its still a pretty good one. I was in the same boat, I started out as a health science major and had a GPA around 3.0 over my first couple yrs. I switched to psych and my psych GPA ended up around a 4.0, giving me about a 3.55 overall. I didn't get into any PhD programs b/c I didn't have research experience, but I did end up getting some good offers from several Masters programs.

Some schools weigh GREs more than others, but they obviously can be important, so try and do well on those. If you don't have research experience I'd recommend applying to some Masters programs, especially ones that are experimentally based.

You think it's better to wait a year and apply after I have some research experience, or apply while I'm getting it?