Will schools ask you to retake the dat for further admissions considerations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shane41

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My scores are pretty average but my GPA is pretty good, so i was wondering if some schools would just ask me to retake the dat in november or something. Do schools do that?

AA 17 PAT 19 TS 19
GPA (Science) 3.7

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Your scores seem fine, unless you scored 15 or below on a section, which judging by your AA is possible. Many schools have minimum cutoffs for any particular section to be reviewed.

If a school is interested in you and your scores aren't competitive for the current pool they will send you a letter asking you to retake. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I did score below a 15 in QR (I got a 14), I still cant believe I freaking did that! My buddy is in the same boat as me though, he scored a TS 20 Pat 21 AA 19 and he got a 14 in QR.

That score sticks out like a bad thumb, I suppose I am going to just wait it out and see what I here from some schools. Hopefully I will at least get some interviews with those scores (fingers crossed)!

By the way I know someone who had an interview at Tennessee last year with a 12 in ochem and a 14 in qr with a 16 aa. I thought that was interesting!

Your scores seem fine, unless you scored 15 or below on a section, which judging by your AA is possible. Many schools have minimum cutoffs for any particular section to be reviewed.

not true! go on predent...so many people with low qr (14 and 15) and got accepted just fine. If they have good AA and TS overall, it's fine! However, don't spend your money on unlv, they will drop kick your a$$ with a 15 on qr. Trust me on this one.

Thanks, that is good to hear. Anymore input?

Hey, I got around the same scores as well as a 14 in QR. I hope no one asks me to take it over because I really don't want to. Hopefully they will look at all my scores, notice that one is just odd, cross reference my transcripts and see A's in math courses, and not mind. But, its competitive so ya never know. Crossing fingers.

I also hit a home run w/ a 14 in QR. Overall I am above avg in gpa and DAT for most schools though. We'll have to see how we do in grabbing interviews. I only need to get into one school.

That's exactly what I am thinking, and that is exactly why I applied to 19 schools. I am trying to just get into one. And it would really suck if one score holds me back because my TS was a 19 and the only reason my AA is a 17 is because of my 14 QR!

Good luck to you both!

Anyone else in the same boat as us?

I have low scores on PAT and I talked to CA schools. They told me if they think that u r not competitive enough, they will discard mine application. They are not going to suggest me to retake DAT...but if I stated that I am going to retake DAT, they will keep it until they got new DAT scores. I m kind of confused what should I do? I don't want to retake DAT, but my Pat scores are way below average. So, should I fill out future DAT or not....but if I filled out future dat, then what if I won't take it bcz I got reply from some school. My states are
Pat-15, RC-17, QR-18, bio-19, gchem-21, OChem-22, TS-20, AA-19
my community college gpa -3.85 and UC davis -3.49.
any suggestions will be appreciated..

Here is what I am thinking

approx 10,600 applicants

approx 5,600 will get in

So lets say around 1 out of every 2.2 will get in

of the 19 schools that I applied to the highest AA is about a 19 and most are around 18.5. That means they take a lot of 17, 18, 19 AA and some higher 20's.

I am a more complete person that what my QR score or Dat score shows. If my QR would have been better my AA would have been higher, simple as that.

I already took that dat and improved from a 15 to a 20 in ochem, a 14 to a 19 in PAT, 15 to a 17 in gchem and a 17 to a 19 in biology. Does improvement actually help your chances?

I am also praying a lot :)

Oh yeah, I was wondering the same thing about taking the test again. Should I put that on my app or no. I already applied and didnt do that.