Will the DNP be a dying degree???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh ok.... let me set you up to start an existential off topic argument about what NPs practice so you can insist that clinical treatment of illness is in your exclusive domain.

You are a little late for the game if you want to have it out on that subject. Take it up with over 24 state and territory legislatures, as well as the federal government, because they are perfectly fine with what NPs practice.
No they are fine with lining their pockets with money from the BON. Most people I have ever come across, even layman, disagree with it when you explain that NPs are not the captain of the ship, just want to be by getting a online DNP.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m not stomping my feet, you guys are stomping your feet at the thought of a nonphysician provider being extended courtesy. There’s a nuance there that betrays arrogance in and of itself.

NPs and PAs are providers, not ancillary staff. We don’t demand autonomy, we have it in half of the state’s. It’s working just fine, except I guess for you guys that get bent out of shape when we get an extra office that a provider isn’t using. You lack the self awareness to see the reason the public thinks a lot of physicians are elitist. It’s these kinds of conversations when you veer off in to the real reason you are mad at another provider getting some workspace or a decent paycheck. If our healthcare system changed overnight to one where your university was paid for and you were given a stipend through school, but physicians made $150k, none of you guys would show up because it lacked the big payday you all wanted in the first place. Oh, and the respect. You want to be kings everywhere you go.
Really? You don't demand autonomy/independence....please read your other post, NPs are soooo happy they are independent not by training but by $$$$ from the BON. As a PA I want to be dependent on the physician and have him/her as the leader. We are NOT trained like physicians are and I would never try to act like that. Even if I did get my doctorate, still doesn't mean ****, cause I did NOT go to MEDICAL SCHOOL!

If you nurses want the most respect then go to medical school.

Reactions: 6 users
A wise provider refers out. Physicians refer out, as do PAs and NPs. As a psyche NP, I get referrals from physicians every day. I refer out cases to others. I also understand that much psyche management, especially in the early stages, takes place in primary care settings. I’m booked 3 months out, so it’s probably a good thing to try. But I also get patients that come in after primary care management that need a lot of med adjustments to fix some problems that arise from that. But that’s understandable because their primary providers often are trying to use their 8 minutes of actual face time with their patient to do something that I have an hour on intake and 30 minutes in follow up on. That and their primary care provider usually has to address all their physical illness in their brief visits too. You won’t see me criticize them for doing the best they can. But you also won’t see me sit back and take it when a physician downplays my work as an NP simply to imply there needs to be a hierarchy with them at the top of the food chain for hierarchy sake. Do something to reduce the mental health backlog, because I am. If I want to be an independent provider to do that job that someone else isn’t doing, the critics aren’t in the position to tell me that I need to have direct physician supervision to do it, especially when that supervision is merely a formality that serves primarily to line the pockets of a supervising position and increase their control over us for control sake. I don’t need to be the Np squire to the physician knight in order to do my job. We operate independently in halfback of states, and the sky has not fallen, and we haven’t tried to walk into surgery to replace physicians. We practice within our scope.
Screw it. Why do we even have licensing at all? Let’s just let anyone on the street practice medicine without any sort of training. Why do people want to play doctor without going to medical school? Why try to redefine the role of nurses and assistants when they realize they want the power of physicians even though they are unable to graduate from medical school?

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users