Will the new MCAT carry more weight?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thestrugglingtraveler

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will the new MCAT carry more weight? So with this new one, can a high score compensate more for a lower GPA?

Because it is much longer and has more subjects. And more critical thinking oriented so a higher score would more compensate for a lower GPA is that correct?

Or will it be weighed the same as the current MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I would think it is weighted the same (unless the school specifically states that they prefer the new MCAT or that they are not going to accept the old MCAT at all).

As a side note, schools that state they prefer the new MCAT on the transition year are really lame, considering that there are only 2 test months to take it by which to receive your score before your primary is late enough to be considered disadvantaged.

I would think it is weighted the same (unless the school specifically states that they prefer the new MCAT or that they are not going to accept the old MCAT at all).

As a side note, schools that state they prefer the new MCAT on the transition year are really lame, considering that there are only 2 test months to take it by which to receive your score before your primary is late enough to be considered disadvantaged.
My pre-med advisor let us know that our state school would be giving preference to those who take the new exam. Whatever that means!