Will this major hurt my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rlplucien

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, first let me start off by acknowledging the fact that this question is asked 10000000000 times a day. I know that it generally doesn't matter what you major in. However, I'm worried that this major I am interested in is a bit of a "joke" and will be seen as so by medical schools. My school has a Media and Cinema studies major in the school of communications. For me, it has a lot of benefits: it sounds really interesting and fun, the school of communications has a much better location than the rest of the school, and it is one of the few majors outside of the sciences where I would be able to complete the prereqs for medical school, study abroad, minor in another topic of interest (french), and finish all of the degree requirements to graduate almost on time.

Basically, my one concern is that this major will be considered a joke by medical schools. How far does the saying, "major in whatever you like" really go for medical school? Does a line need to be drawn somewhere?

Thanks for your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Major in it. You'll be fine. Ace your prereqs and piss off all the typical premeds who tried to force themselves through a bio/biochem major's workload because that's what they thought they were supposed to do.

Reactions: 1 user
Major in it. You'll be fine. Ace your prereqs and piss off all the typical premeds who tried to force themselves through a bio/biochem major's workload because that's what they thought they were supposed to do.

:thumbup:

That's another benefit of it. It could give me more time to focus on my prereqs too. Though I could be wrong and it could end up being really time consuming. I don't know.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Really, as long as you can do well in science it does not matter what your major is. Maybe if you have a lot of science classes, or get your MS in biochemistry, you have an advantage in certain classes, but that's it. I have a classmate who is an awesome student and has a degree in something like art sculpture.

As long as you don't major in anything health related, you'll be fine.

Use the time to explore before med school. More than likely, people will want to hear more about your degree. :)

At least it will give you something to talk about during an interview.

To be honest, Media Studies is the joke major at my school. However, if you are really interested in the major, I would say to be prepared to defend at all times and good luck. :luck::luck:

Sounds like a joke major, but choosing it won't hurt you as long as you do well in your prereqs. In fact it might help you. Such is the odd world we live in.

As someone who was a non-science major, I got asked a lot about my major. Sometimes it was asked out of genuine curiosity, other times it was asked somewhat condescendingly. As long as you have a good and interesting reason to major in whatever, it's fine, but don't expect interviewers to not ask about it at all.

As someone who was a non-science major, I got asked a lot about my major. Sometimes it was asked out of genuine curiosity, other times it was asked somewhat condescendingly. As long as you have a good and interesting reason to major in whatever, it's fine, but don't expect interviewers to not ask about it at all.

Condescendingly from interviewers? How did that go? :confused:

Sounds like a good major to me! Really interesting/fun, especially paired with French. :D Just do well in your pre-reqs (and I would take a few extra science classes, to show them that you can handle it), MCAT, volunteer/research/clinical exp and all that good stuff

Condescendingly from interviewers? How did that go? :confused:
I don't really remember. I just remember that sometimes the tone of the interviewers wasn't that positive. Perhaps they thought I was trying to take the easy way out.

Go for it. Im an English lit major and as far as interviews go I'd say I've received an overwhelmingly positive response, it's only other applicants who have been condescending.

I don't really remember. I just remember that sometimes the tone of the interviewers wasn't that positive. Perhaps they thought I was trying to take the easy way out.

Oh okay.. that seems like it would be awkward lol

Ok, first let me start off by acknowledging the fact that this question is asked 10000000000 times a day. I know that it generally doesn't matter what you major in. However, I'm worried that this major I am interested in is a bit of a "joke" and will be seen as so by medical schools. My school has a Media and Cinema studies major in the school of communications. For me, it has a lot of benefits: it sounds really interesting and fun, the school of communications has a much better location than the rest of the school, and it is one of the few majors outside of the sciences where I would be able to complete the prereqs for medical school, study abroad, minor in another topic of interest (french), and finish all of the degree requirements to graduate almost on time.

Basically, my one concern is that this major will be considered a joke by medical schools. How far does the saying, "major in whatever you like" really go for medical school? Does a line need to be drawn somewhere?

Thanks for your advice.

Enjoy your undergrad years for God's sake. That sounds like it would be fun. If you get self-conscious about it you could minor in Bio (At my school you could take pre-reqs and then like 2 more classes to fulfill that. Biochem and genetics are highly recommended anyway). If you could do study abroad and other interesting things (as well as a French minor) it would only help your application to stand out.

If anything it'll be less quirky than a BFA in printmaking!

I don't think your major would be a joke if it's something you love doing. Like everyone above echoed, far too much of the time we get caught up in only trying to impress med schools, adcoms, other pre-meds and so on. Use your undergrad years to explore your interests and while doin so, take your pre-reqs and dominate. I believe adcoms will be more impressed with someone who has consistently proven that they pursue their passions other than the typical "cookie cutter" pre-med who majored in biology just because it would look good on med school apps (not saying that you shouldn't major in bio or any other science....if its what you love doing :thumbup:)

I don't think your major would be a joke if it's something you love doing. Like everyone above echoed, far too much of the time we get caught up in only trying to impress med schools, adcoms, other pre-meds and so on. Use your undergrad years to explore your interests and while doin so, take your pre-reqs and dominate. I believe adcoms will be more impressed with someone who has consistently proven that they pursue their passions other than the typical "cookie cutter" pre-med who majored in biology just because it would look good on med school apps (not saying that you shouldn't major in bio or any other science....if its what you love doing :thumbup:)
Agreed:thumbup:

Make it sound sexy during interviews and you'll be fine