PhD/PsyD Will this show on a criminal background check/cause problems with the VA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wolf46324

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a counseling psych PhD student hoping to work for the VA. Last year, I went through a really horrible period in my life (my LTR ended suddenly, a major research project crashed and burned due to the funding falling out and ended up delaying my program completion, major family issues, etc), and I became pretty situationally depressed. I went through a brief period of notable suicidality and made some erroneously worded statements that really worried my family (nothing at all referencing homicidality or anything like that). They called the police, who made me go to the ER. I talked to the attending, explained that I made some overly dramatic statements which I regretted and that I was safe and fine and had no intention or serious thoughts of hurting myself or anyone else. The physician recognized I seemed calm and not in any sort of danger and basically said, "yeah, you're fine." He gave me a "diagnosis" of "temporary reactive depression," and I went home with no issue or hospital admittance. I was required to go to the ER but wasn't placed on anything like a 72 hold or anything like that. No arrest, charges, no court order, nothing like that. No (other?) legal issues, not even a traffic violation.

Will being required to go the ER show up on a criminal background check/cause issues with VA employment?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You didn't commit a crime and you weren't charged or convicted, so I think you're safe.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks. My concern would be the recent EO merging mental health and criminal records, although it sounded like that only applied to social security and actual involuntary admittances.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think that applies here as this really isn't a matter of criminal record. There might be a police report buried somewhere with your name on it, but this isn't going to show up on a criminal background check.

The VA's background check for psychologists is a NACI level. I haven't ever seen psychiatric things come up on one. Drug use, financial stuff comes up as standard fare.

I would not assume that it wouldn't be found. They found my second grade teacher!

The VA's background check for psychologists is a NACI level. I haven't ever seen psychiatric things come up on one. Drug use, financial stuff comes up as standard fare.

I would not assume that it wouldn't be found. They found my second grade teacher!
I guess that would be my concern--that it comes up and screws me. No history of other/non-transient mental health issues, substance/drug use, financial stuff, etc.

if it shows up, why do you think it would screw you? This is not a criminal transgression.

I also wouldn't be too worried about this. The VA has a mission to hire other veterans, and there is a high prevalence of ptsd in that population. I couldn't see them dinging people for SI.

Agreed with the above. Even if it does show up, to the best of my knowledge, you wouldn't have falsified any of your application documents by not mentioning it. They'll ask about things such as if you've ever been convicted of anything more than a minor traffic offense, had your license to practice suspended or rebuked, etc. But I don't recall ever seeing anything directly about personal mental health history (or, more specifically, h/o perceived SI).

No, it will not show up in a criminal background check, or even any kind of typical investigation into your background. It's also not something that would impact your VA employment in any case...

No, it will not show up in a criminal background check, or even any kind of typical investigation into your background. It's also not something that would impact your VA employment in any case...
Agreed.

Having recently gone through the vetting process at the VA for the second time, there was nothing in the fingerprinting, background check, or medical clearance (by Employee Health) that would indicate references to past diagnoses. The medical clearance form asks for current disorders (chronic conditions, yes...but not past, acute diagnoses). But, if I recall correctly, the forms request that you determine if any of a list of conditions would interfere with your present job duties, and they did not corroborate this information against medical charts from my personal doctor(s) - they would require written authorization from you and HIPAA waiver to do so. And, at no point, did I see on the forms request to contact my personal MDs.

OP, sounds like you made through a tough time. Best of luck going forward! :luck:

Asking for a friend- would a VA background search find a petit theft charge at age 15 that was subsequently dropped and wiped from his record after completing a remedial program for minors (a class on why crime is bad, mmk, community service, and writing an apology letter)? He was told the only time it would come up is if he wanted to work for the FBI or the like, but does the fact that working in a VA IS a federal job put their background searches on par with the FBI? Thx!

Asking for a friend- would a VA background search find a petit theft charge at age 15 that was subsequently dropped and wiped from his record after completing a remedial program for minors (a class on why crime is bad, mmk, community service, and writing an apology letter)? He was told the only time it would come up is if he wanted to work for the FBI or the like, but does the fact that working in a VA IS a federal job put their background searches on par with the FBI? Thx!
I dont know, but I have some anecdotal evidence that things such as that even do not appear on federal background checks. Sorry, not willing to be more specific. But I'd bet you're clear. You work for the FBI/NSA, etc, all bets are off.. but for the VA, DOC, etc, I bet you're fine.

Reactions: 1 user