Will we need to take more pre-reqs to prepare for new MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smiler

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been reading that the new MCAT will test topics in philosophy, biochem, sociology and psychology. Does anyone who knows more about the proposed changes think/know if the number of pre-reqs will increase. I see this as being more of a hassle for us nontrads than students in college. Pre-reqs already take 1-2 years to complete.

Members don't see this ad.

Biochem is already becoming a pre-req at some schools (Ohio State comes to mind) and intro to soc/psych are a part of pretty much every degree out there, hopefully the wont want us to push past that.

When a subset of the current recommendations are adopted by a bunch of committees after at least a year of arguing about them, then a nation-full of premed advisers will start telling premeds if the premed curriculum is changing, probably in fall 2013. And prep courses will have about a year's notice before they have to release changes, and those changes will be available a minimum of a year before the test changes. So when/if any changes are finalized then there will be about 2 years notice before the test changes. And then they'll delay the changed test, betcha.

This is completely independent of what med schools are requiring of applicants. Northwestern will probably still have no requirements. UWash already changed its requirements to include a year of humanities.

But by all means, start whining and freaking out about nontrad discrimination as soon as possible.

You have to have a pretty laser focused degree course to avoid taking psych and/or soc on your way to a Bachelor's. At least one of the two is required for pretty much any degree I've seen. Philosophy isn't required in most degrees, but it's an easy class to fit into just about any schedule. I've heard over and over how much Biochem is recommended anyway that I personally consider it all but a requirement. The last I heard they were talking about the changes not going live until late 2015, which more likely means 2016 for matriculation in 2017. Seems a bit soon to be stressing about it since most of the people who are currently on the path won't have to deal with any of this as requirements unless they have to reapply a time or two.