Will work for advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bsquared

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking for some advice since there are probably similar stories out here. I am 24 years old, graduated from school with a 3.67 cumulative GPA in electrical engineering (hated that) and then decided to try my luck in finance (which, yay I hate this too).

Now I am two years out and really looking internally to answer the big questions - what makes me happy, where are my core values, what direction will fulfill me? After some guided thought I realized that money is less important to me than I once thought and that helping others is where my focus lies. I am also driven by a sense of purpose which just doesn't seem to happen for me in the cut-throat, anything to make a buck, corporate world.

So now I am considering med school - with the underlying purpose of helping others - but the decision is a little scary. One of the bigger and more difficult questions is going to a post-bacc and how to finance that? If anyone was in a similar situation that would be helpful. Also I'm pretty much on my own financially (without a lot of money and bills to pay), so how do people make this work? Also in the post-bacc, is there a way to shorten the timeline by studying for courses, taking the MCAT and then applying for med schools in two years?

Thank you!
Bsquared

Members don't see this ad.

Hey B! You've come to the right place, the home of the career changers. :)

Before you quit your job and jump headfirst into medicine, you need to ascertain whether being a doctor is what you really, really want. The process will suck big time if you're not sure of that. It looks like you're off to a good start asking yourself the pertinent questions. Instead of just pondering it I strongly urge you to gain some sort of clinical experience, hospital volunteering is a good place to start. This will get you familiarized with what physicians do and you can see which aspects of medicine appeal to you and which don't. You'll also see what other members of the healthcare team do, maybe you'll find that one of those careers is more what you were looking for (ie. nursing, pharmacy, PA, RT etc.) in terms of job satisfaction, responsibility and lifestyle. Really, you won't know until you gain more exposure. If you do this and you determine that medicine is your calling then you'll have a much more solid basis for that decision and it will be far less scary. You'll also be better able to articulate why you want to be doctor when the question comes up (and it will inevitably) during your application season.

So, onto financing the postbacc. If you're still working I'd keep at it for a bit longer while you are determining whether medicine is really for you. This way you can save up a bit. Once you've made the decision you'll have the choice of the formal vs. informal route. Although I went with a formal postbacc, I honestly think neither way is wrong, they are both a means to an end and you need to do what you are most comfortable with. An informal postbacc at your state school will be the most frugal option. Here you will most likely just take the classes you need for medical school on your own although you may have access to a pre-med advisor depending on the school. However, since you're curious about speeding up the process a bit by eliminating the gap year, the formal programs may interest you as well. Many have linkages with med schools allowing you to apply during your final spring semester of postbacc and matriculate at a med school that summer. However, obtaining a seat in linkage is very difficult and you may need to take the MCAT before you are ready and before you complete the pre-reqs. I personally know of people who ended up tanking either their GPA, their MCAT or both because they were rushing to link. I know that you're eager to get going, but I'd strongly urge you not to rush and become overly obsessed with linking. You're fortunate to have a solid undergrad GPA so you want to protect that, improve it even, and put forth the best app possible. The formal route is expensive, most finance it through loans. For more specifics I'd ask the fin aid office at any of the schools you are looking at.

1) Do you think that medical field is not going to be a cut-throat, anything to make/save a buck, world?
2) Time: easiest way -- start scheduling. Taking pre-reqs will consume a lot of time, so you will have options to cut out sleep, ditch a girlfirend/boyfriend and opt out for FWB, stop having "a life" unless you schedule it from 20:05 till 23:17 on SAT night.
3) Finance: get support from family. If it is not an option, you should make a budget where you should realistically factor in cost of education ($xxx/credit, gas, parking, lost wages, etc.) Depending on the state you live in you might qualify for scholarships (but that might also require officially declare yourself a degree-seeking post-bac, although you might not have to pay back scholarships if you do not actually complete the degree).
4) MCAT: start studying after you have taken general biology, physics and chemistry (while taking A&P/Physiology - depends what your college offers, and organic chemistry). Given you will be working, schedule in your MCAT study time. Personally, I gave myself 6 mos, 3 hrs every other day. I study PS and BS with a partner (who is intellectually superior to me) and VR on my own. If I miss a sutdy session (I work in ED of a trauma centre, so things happen) I make it up the very next day. Take MCAT only when you are ready, don't be afraid to extend your own prep schedule, but try to avoid burn out.

Bottom line: 2 years is more than enough to complete all pre-reqs and apply to med school. Esp. since engeering major probably already included some of your pre-reqs.

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks badb100d and Woland your thoughts are really helpful.

badb100d:
I'm one step ahead of you, signed up to volunteer at a local hospital the other day and am proceeding with that. Your advice is great and you're absolutely right, taking it slow and figuring out what I REALLY want is the most important part of this research process. Maybe this is an internal question (similar to the one you ask about marriage) but how do you know when its right? I'm a bit skeptical of my ability to pick a direction after going through engineering and finance successfully but without a sense of fulfillment. How do you and others know to the best of your ability that it is the right path to take?

Also the postbacc stuff, very helpful!

Woland:
1) Of course its cut-throat, but I'm referring to the Wall Street hedge fund mentality that I work with. Its awful and nobody gives a **** about anyone or anything but money. Not quite the same as someone not willing to study with you because you might get better grades.

2-4) Thanks helpful stuff. It comes down to discipline when taking tests like the MCAT. If you don't have that you will most likely fail. I'm less concerned about the test than extending a timeline out significantly by working full time and taking one class a semester. You also bring up a good point, engineering has given me most of the prereqs, except for Bio and Ochem. Maybe it makes sense to do an informal postbacc for a full semester, then take the MCAT?

Maybe this is an internal question (similar to the one you ask about marriage) but how do you know when its right? I'm a bit skeptical of my ability to pick a direction after going through engineering and finance successfully but without a sense of fulfillment. How do you and others know to the best of your ability that it is the right path to take?

LOL, I think the marriage description is rather appropriate. It is difficult to really say how you know the decision to pursue medicine is right. In my case it was extensive clinical exposure (night shift in the SICU) that made me confident in my decision. During my work I saw a lot of the less pleasant aspects of medicine, but I realized that despite all of that it was something I still wanted to do. For all the crazy things I've seen and difficult patients I dealt with I'd never want to trade that in for my former, former life when I worked in a bank :sleep: I think as non-trads we have the advantage of having done something we weren't 100% satisfied with so that you'll know when the right thing comes along. It sort of just clicks. So I hope you will have an equally defining experience. Also, you may want to shadow a physician because sometimes it can be difficult getting a really adequate feel for medicine during volunteer work.

LOL, I think the marriage description is rather appropriate.

Haha glad you liked that. Truly, you are married to the decision and you have to feel content with it. Shadowing is a great idea! I'm trying to figure out how to go about this with a pretty demanding job. If they find out, I'll surely get fired which is only bad because of the lost funds.

This decision has an amazing number of variables, I have a serious appreciation for those who are older with kids who do it...wow I can only imagine.