Will you give back to your Alumni or Dental school after graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
take the return envelopes, tape them to bricks and mail them back. The school always pays postage for the donation. It will cost a whole lot to pay the postage due on the brick. This is one of my favorite tricks...

Members don't see this ad.

Before graduating they had us fill out a form with our mailing addresses after graduation. I knew good and damn well what that was for. The chairman of the Restorative Dept and I didn't get along at all, so I put his address down with my name. That was my last little going-away present to him. He must have gotten all my alumni junk mail for a year, because that's how long it took them to find out my real address.
:laugh: Thats a good one. I dont know how your school was, but mine is the one that works strictly on a threat based system "you have to wear white sneakers or we will kick you out of clinic"... " you have to do ____ or we will do ___", I happen to be one of those guys that has got a "warning letter" from every department possible... some of them i didnt even know existed..... trust me, come graduation time, im gonna have to leave a lot of "presents" around to various department chairs
Just wipe your ass with it (or pick up dog s--t with it to avoid DNA evidence) and send it back to them. I think you'll get taken off the mailing list REAL quick for that one.
:laugh: :laugh: see, thats why i spend so much time on SDN, to pick up "ideas" from fellow student doctors.

Or in my case from a predent ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread seems to be loaded with a few whiners. As I've said before, Dental school is a tough apprenticeship. It is not meant to be a continuation of college...if you want that...do a grad program. I don't know about all parts of the country, but I bet that most of the 15% or so who fail to pass WREB the first time wish that their dental school profs had cracked the whip a bit harder. In dental school, as in any other demanding apprenticeship, the operative phrase is "pain trains" and the word "sympathy" will not found in the local dictionary.

groundhog said:
This thread seems to be loaded with a few whiners. As I've said before, Dental school is a tough apprenticeship. It is not meant to be a continuation of college...if you want that...do a grad program. I don't know about all parts of the country, but I bet that most of the 15% or so who fail to pass WREB the first time wish that their dental school profs had cracked the whip a bit harder. In dental school, as in any other demanding apprenticeship, the operative phrase is "pain trains" and the word "sympathy" will not found in the local dictionary.

Do you honestly think that people fail WREB's because they didn't work hard enough during dental school? I would guess that the majority of people fail because of a patient situation beyond their control. I remember scrambling for board patients and I also remember trying to scale a 9mm pocket on the distal of tooth #18 because my original patient had "lost track of time". I passed *thankfully* but the work I did on boards wasn't my "best"...it was the "best" I could do while my heart was pounding in my throat from the stress, and the feeling of being "out of control". Please don't give me that bullsh1t about "it's a test for private practice"...been there, done that boards aren't squat compared to your professional career relying on Cletus' abilitly to wake up in time from his drunken stupor and drag his ass to the dental school for a FREE restoration. The whole process was ridiculous.

"Pain trains" applies to breaking horses, and training prostitutes and should not apply to dedicated professionals trying to learn how to provide professional services. But hey, that's just my vision of dental utopia your's may be different

drben said:
Do you honestly think that people fail WREB's because they didn't work hard enough during dental school? I would guess that the majority of people fail because of a patient situation beyond their control. I remember scrambling for board patients and I also remember trying to scale a 9mm pocket on the distal of tooth #18 because my original patient had "lost track of time". I passed *thankfully* but the work I did on boards wasn't my "best"...it was the "best" I could do while my heart was pounding in my throat from the stress, and the feeling of being "out of control". Please don't give me that bullsh1t about "it's a test for private practice"...been there, done that boards aren't squat compared to your professional career relying on Cletus' abilitly to wake up in time from his drunken stupor and drag his ass to the dental school for a FREE restoration. The whole process was ridiculous.

"Pain trains" applies to breaking horses, and training prostitutes and should not apply to dedicated professionals trying to learn how to provide professional services. But hey, that's just my vision of dental utopia your's may be different
What he said. I couldnt have said it better myself.

groundhog said:
You talk a mean line of crap to anyone who's ever had a criticism about dentistry or dental school, groundhog, but I've never seen you offer any credentials. The very fact that you're spouting this garbage leaves me thinking you're either completely naive to the dental education experience, or else a dental school professor (and thus, have completely forgotten the dental education experience). Who are you to be giving sermons here?

If things continue as they have, I'll donate money back to the school. So, far I've been really impressed. But, I'm still in the honeymoon period. Ask me again in a year.

Hey, groundhog, you don't know **** from shinola about dental school. You have NEVER been to dental school. Each and every one of us is entitled to interpret our own personal dental school experience in our own way. Likewise I think each student is entitled to relate that experience to another. Your comments about the WREB prove you know NOTHING about the WREB and why there are failures.

If you really think people are just "whining" in this thread, I invite you to go f**k yourself. Walk in someone else's shoes before passing judgment d!ckwad!

groundhog said:

What school you go to or would you rather that go unsaid?

AMMD said:
My school will not get a fcuking cent from me for the following reasons:
1. As it is, we are the most expensive state school in the country
2. As of late, our entire university has been caught red handed for embezzling all kind of funds and a day doesnt go by without some mention of it in the news papers
3. I had a horrible educational experience. Half the kids in my class had mommies and daddies who attended the same school and sure enough, they had a great experience.
4. The politics
5. The politics
6. The politics
7. We have a new building of which 2/3rds will be empty for the next 5 years because a mis management of funds during its construction phase.

So in short: when I get the mailer to ask me for funds, I shall send them a mailer back asking them to suck my c0ck

I do intend to offer my services free of charge to the inner city population that my school is supposed to serve. Also, my undergrad institution will be getting help from me financially.

MsPurtell said:
Hey, groundhog, you don't know **** from shinola about dental school. You have NEVER been to dental school. Each and every one of us is entitled to interpret our own personal dental school experience in our own way. Likewise I think each student is entitled to relate that experience to another. Your comments about the WREB prove you know NOTHING about the WREB and why there are failures.

If you really think people are just "whining" in this thread, I invite you to go f**k yourself. Walk in someone else's shoes before passing judgment d!ckwad!
Wow, MsPurtell! I didn't know you had that in you! :eek: I agree. You don't realize how clueless some people are until they start talking! If you have not been through it then keep your mouth shut, listen to what others have to say, maybe you can learn something.

drben and MsPurtell,

First, I said that there appeared to be a few whiners on this thread. I did not imply that everyone who expressed a gripe about dental school lacked fortitude or justification.

Second, while I've never been to dental school, I have one close family member who just graduated plus another close family member who is a D4. So, I have gained some perspective on the difficulties, frustrations, and politics often associated with the dental school experience.

Third, some factors in life hold true across a broad spectrum of experiences.
After I earned a BA, I graduated from a demanding apprenticeship, and subsequently completed to what amounts to a very competive and challenging speciality program within my chosen line of work. Getting the BA was a cake walk. The other two endeavors were a different story and not too dissimilar from that expressed by some of you regarding the negative aspects of dental school on this thread. I was in an up or out situation both times. I had to be very assertive in gaining the knowledge and skills needed to move up rather than out. Peers who fell behind were given the boot with no mercy. Some of my trainers were annal jerks. Neverthless, I survived and have enjoyed the privelage of being engaged in a very rewarding career. I learned to use the annal jerk trainers to my advantage. I did not like them, but they tended to know their stuff. I would always go to one of the annal jerks when I wanted to get a quick no fluff informal assessment on my progress. The majority of my peers who felt the boot brought it on themselves for lack of focus. They lost sight of the main goal. Some partied too much, some obsessed on the negatives too much, some wanted to be spoon fed, some thought they could cram just like in college, some were clueless about their progress until formal evaluation time etc.

JavadiCavity said:
If things continue as they have, I'll donate money back to the school. So, far I've been really impressed. But, I'm still in the honeymoon period. Ask me again in a year.

Is it true you guys get like $4 million a year from alums? Sounds like someones got their isht together. My school gets $40,000 a year and now I'm starting to see why. The admin uses the students like toilet paper and it's starting to piss people off. I don't know anyone in my class that's openly willing to give back to the school...and we're just starting junior year.

Members don't see this ad :)
flat4 said:
Is it true you guys get like $4 million a year from alums? Sounds like someones got their isht together. My school gets $40,000 a year and now I'm starting to see why. The admin uses the students like toilet paper and it's starting to piss people off. I don't know anyone in my class that's openly willing to give back to the school...and we're just starting junior year.

I'm not sure what the exact dollar amount is but I'll find out this week. I know that 40% of the alumni give back annually compared to the 5% to 10%, which is the national average. The dean just finished an alumni fund raising campaign over the last few years and raised $50 million. Anyway, like I said, I'll see if I can get the annual amount raised from alumni. I know that the alumni are very involved with the students. They are the sole sponsors or partial sponsors of our retreats, dinners, parties, and other functions.

groundhog said:
while I've never been to dental school, I have one close family member who just graduated plus another close family member who is a D4
That's what I figured. I don't mean to dismiss your life experience, because it *does* sound like you've garnered quite a bit--but spare us the sermons until you can draw them from direct experience instead of just hearsay.

There are some subtle aspects to passing the licensure exams. If your patient doesn't show, you fail the exam and that has nothing to do with the school you attend. With that in mind, I have talked to quite a few dentists who paid flight, room, and board for their patient and a companion ( usually a relative) to make sure they would show up for the licensing exams. In the end, that doesn't seem out of the question since you can't go on with your life or career without successfully getting through the WREB, NERB, or whichever realm of the country you wish to practice. Like most things in dentistry, you need the patient to cooperate as much as possible. Without a license to practice, you can't give anything back to anyone not even yourself. Take care and GOD bless.

aphistis said:
That's what I figured. I don't mean to dismiss your life experience, because it *does* sound like you've garnered quite a bit--but spare us the sermons until you can draw them from direct experience instead of just hearsay.

Fair enough. But this thread was not about a specialized issue like how how to treat a dental case. It was more broad in nature (giving back to a school). Some expressed they would not do so because of some negative experiences while being trained. I think such an attitude is immature (hence the word whiner). Dental school is not the only tough training program in the world that has negative aspects. So, I recommend to some in a constructive way..chill out. I think of the lecture that Hiram Roth gave to Michael Corleone in Godfather II regarding a negative aspect of organized crime (threat of assasination by hit men from rival gangs). "Then I remind myself that this is the profession that I have chose."

Dad: Where you going Son?
Son: Down to swim in the river below the bridge.
Dad: Check out the pool below the bridge before you jump
Son: I thought you don't swim and don't go near rivers
Dad: That's right , but I've heard people can get hurt by
such things as sunken logs that drift into the pools
overnight.
Son:Spare me the sermons Dad until you can draw from
direct experience rather than hearsay.

Again, you have no idea what you are talking about. You don't know the experience of a dental student until you've been a dental student. You have no place giving advice on how dental students should respond to their school's request for money. You have no place telling a dental student what his or her attitude should be. Instead of shooting your mouth off, why don't you ask students why they responded the way they did. Obviously, the answers would surprise you.

groundhog said:
It was more broad in nature (giving back to a school). Some expressed they would not do so because of some negative experiences while being trained. I think such an attitude is immature (hence the word whiner). Dental school is not the only tough training program in the world that has negative aspects.

Hell no I wont give them a #$@ thing, and why should any of us do that?

They dont deserve handouts.

What I don't understand is how UB is so nasty. Really filthy, the walls need painting, the place is dusty, and smells like an ashtray I hate treating patients in such an environment, and I used to clean marines' teeth in a tent that was cleaner! What the hell happens to the money they have? I know alginate is expensive but come on!

That's interesting. I attend a state school and the clinics are pleasant enough. Absolutely never had a patient complain. I really though that if you were shelling out major bucks, you'd see your dollars being spent in a meaningful way. Guess not???

kerrydds06 said:
What I don't understand is how UB is so nasty. Really filthy, the walls need painting, the place is dusty, and smells like an ashtray I hate treating patients in such an environment, and I used to clean marines' teeth in a tent that was cleaner! What the hell happens to the money they have? I know alginate is expensive but come on!

MsPurtell said:
Again, you have no idea what you are talking about. You don't know the experience of a dental student until you've been a dental student. You have no place giving advice on how dental students should respond to their school's request for money. You have no place telling a dental student what his or her attitude should be. Instead of shooting your mouth off, why don't you ask students why they responded the way they did. Obviously, the answers would surprise you.

You're right. For all the money you guys fork over you should at least get maid service, daycare, massage therapy, personal tutors, chaffuered limos, and secretaries.

MsPurtell said:
Instead of shooting your mouth off, why don't you ask students why they responded the way they did.

Why do you hate your school? I'm genuinely curious. Any specific examples?

groundhog said:
You're right. For all the money you guys fork over you should at least get maid service, daycare, massage therapy, personal tutors, chaffuered limos, and secretaries.
We've already established you don't have any blooming idea what you're talking about; undermining your much-vaunted age & experience by acting like a sulking child won't do you any favors either.

Go back to my original post in this thread where I state that my hope is to set up a scholarship at my school for kids coming out of poverty. My issue with groundhog is that he's talking out of his ass.

drhobie7 said:
Why do you hate your school? I'm genuinely curious. Any specific examples?

God only knows what you are even referring to here.

groundhog said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this forum for people in DENTAL school (groundhog) and isn't it also for students to discuss issues related to that school? I kind of see this as a place to exchange ideas, make sure the quality of my education is comparable to that of others and, on occasion vent a little. Sue us is we sometimes need a lifeline to remind us we are the sane ones surrounded by the madness that is the admin and faculty, and not the other way around. I asure you we can suck it up with the best of them but this is a forum of our peers, and arn't you supposed to be able to lean on them for support and commiseration? We are comrads in arms and I think your posts clearly demonstrate that you have no place here except to stir the pot and live vicariously through the people you know who have actually made it to dental school. I have friends who are lawyers and doctors, but I stay off thier forums because I AM NIETHER A DOCTOR OR A LAWYER. How hard it this to understand?

MsPurtell said:
God only knows what you are even referring to here.

You picked a fine time to flame me Pur-tell
With lowly credentials and no out from this hell
I've took some hard slaps, lived through some bad raps
But this time the hurting won't quell
You picked a fine time to flame me Pur-tell :( :confused:

You broke my heart ;) :)

Seriously, I consider you to be one of SDN's finest. From one Husky (UWASH) to another (UCONN) I wish you all the best and truly hope that your dreams come true. :love:

MsPurtell said:
Go back to my original post in this thread where I state that my hope is to set up a scholarship at my school for kids coming out of poverty. My issue with groundhog is that he's talking out of his ass.

That's a fantastic idea. I hope you make it happen.

Ok, I'll admit it, I'm really secretly in love with you! :love:

groundhog said:
You picked a fine time to flame me Pur-tell
With lowly credentials and no out from this hell
I've took some hard slaps, lived through some bad raps
But this time the hurting won't quell
You picked a fine time to flame me Pur-tell :( :confused:

You broke my heart ;) :)

Seriously, I consider you to be one of SDN's finest. From one Husky (UWASH) to another (UCONN) I wish you all the best and truly hope that your dreams come true. :love:

how much weight does an alumni's recommendation carry for private schools if you have average stats?

tx oms said:
I agree. There were some real a-holes at my school, and many, many who specialized in cock-blocking anything intelligent, streamlined, or logical.

What D.S. did you attend?

aphistis said:
Depends how much weight that alum's wallet has on the school budget.

Probably right, but doubtful.

aphistis said:
Depends how much weight that alum's wallet has on the school budget.
will 10grand do?

WOW, from a pre dent...you guys sure squashed my excitement about going to dental school..I just started getting interviews and felt like I was on top of the world. Is it really that horrendous? :(

It's just a long road. By all means stay excited. :) If it wasn't worth it, people wouldn't stay till the end, and job satisfaction surveys for dentists as a profession typically turn out pretty favorable.

gatorchc27 said:
WOW, from a pre dent...you guys sure squashed my excitement about going to dental school..I just started getting interviews and felt like I was on top of the world. Is it really that horrendous? :(
Nope...it's worse.

toofache32 said:
Nope...it's worse.
lol, oh well..I'm still excited and I'm sure I'll be b*tching a year into it :D
or less :laugh:

toofache32 said:
Nope...it's worse.

Agreed. I plan on giving back a ton to my undergraduate college. I received an excellent education and they truly looked out for the students. On the other hand, my dental school will get diddly-squat.

Along the lines of MSPurtell, I plan on creating a dental scholarship, but I plan on putting the stipulation in that the recipient cannot attend UConn. I wouldn't want any recipient of my scholarship to do themselves an injustice by going to UConn.

toofache32 said:
I see it this way: I was able to become a dentist despite my dental school.

agreeeeeeeeeeed!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, I'll give to the DDS and ortho programs at UNC. I had a really good experience as a dental student (not always great, but really good), and envision the same happening for ortho. Even if I hadn't, just having the chance to gain a skill and become employable in something I enjoy doing is deserving of more than just lip service or a thank you note.
That said, I'll definitely ear-mark my $$ contributions to be used as scholarships and fellowships for students. There is nothing that seems to make students feel a little less bitter about school in general than giving them free money.

jpollei said:
There is nothing that seems to make students feel a little less bitter about school in general than giving them free money.

You're right about that one.

On the other hand, there is nothing that seems to make students feel a lot more bitter about school than working hard, getting good grades, being active in school activities and still getting snubbed for scholarships. Ask me how I know. Especially when certain students receive multiple scholarships. It's too bad nothing in life is based solely on merit these days, instead of who you rub up to and who you know.

Especially when the person making the choices for scholarships tends to keep it in the 'family', even though his job title would make you think otherwise. I think it all stems from his inferiority complex due to the fact that he's a Mr. in an environment full of Dr's, and his drive to help those 'underpriviliged'.

I haven't even started school but I don't think that I will give any cash back once Im done. I don't think that it would help lower tuition or raise professor salaries....so no. Tufts just received a very large donation this year yet tuition is higher than last year (Im not talking pennies either).

I would work on a free clinic once or twice a month. I think that would be a better investment of my time/money.

jpollei said:
Yep, I'll give to the DDS and ortho programs at UNC. I had a really good experience as a dental student (not always great, but really good), and envision the same happening for ortho. Even if I hadn't, just having the chance to gain a skill and become employable in something I enjoy doing is deserving of more than just lip service or a thank you note.
That said, I'll definitely ear-mark my $$ contributions to be used as scholarships and fellowships for students. There is nothing that seems to make students feel a little less bitter about school in general than giving them free money.

But then again your acceptance to UNC ortho post-match deserves a little more than a scholar/fellowship don't ya think:)

jpollei said:
There is nothing that seems to make students feel a little less bitter about school in general than giving them free money.

I received a number of scholarship dollars, some directly from UConn and some loosely connected to UConn. I am very grateful for that money, but I am in no way less bitter toward the school as a result of those contributions. $ can not make up for the inappropriate treatment we received; $ can not heal the hurt. I was much happier as a child (living in poverty) than I was as a young adult in dental school. Think about it this way? Would you forgive your spouse for cheating on you if he/she bought you a huge yacht or whatever else your heart desires? Being treated with neutrality or (even less heard of) an ounce of human dignity is impossible at UConn, so it is priceless.

Earlier posts speak of emotional bankruptcy....don't take those posts lightly.

Ha. Listen to this shizz. A month after graduating, my ex-school's dean sent me a letter with an empty envelope enclosed, saying that we could donate money "whenever the spirit moved," knowing that we just graduated and obviously don't have a freakin' penny - we could donate "in the future."

IDIOTS. Well, that was the nail in the coffin!

sjdent said:
Ha. Listen to this shizz. A month after graduating, my ex-school's dean sent me a letter with an empty envelope enclosed, saying that we could donate money "whenever the spirit moved," knowing that we just graduated and obviously don't have a freakin' penny - we could donate "in the future."

IDIOTS. Well, that was the nail in the coffin!

You should've crapped in the letter and sent it "special delivery."

HardWay said:
You should've crapped in the letter and sent it "special delivery."

If my dental school will remove the worthless faculty that refuse to update their own outdated dental knowledge, respect those students who decide to further their education after dental school in the form of residency programs instead of making life more difficult and require the clinical faculty to actually practice dentistry (wouldn't that make too much sense) at least in the form of a faculty practice than maybe I will consider donating. My undergraduate, medical school and residency program will receive money long before my dental school will.