Wire as a salt bridge?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basophilic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can a wire in an electrochemical cell serve as a salt bridge? This was from a KA passage dealing with electrochemical cell with glucose and its oxidative enzymes on the anode and oxygen and its reductive enzymes at the cathode. This was one of their explanations: "In addition to serving as an outlet for electrons to charge the light diode, the wire also serves as a salt bridge." I've heard of solid electrolyte salt bridges and solution-based salt bridges, but never this.

Members don't see this ad.

I would think a problem with using a wire is that you need to convert the current from the movement of ions in solution to the movement of electrons in the wire. Maybe if the wire did some electrostatic induction the cell could run for a little.
static_induction_redistribute.gif

I don't see how its possible to have ions many times larger than electrons actually moving through the wire. I would go against with what they said there and call some BS. Unless in this question there is some sort of contraption with a wire enclosed within a salt bridge? Although it seems as though that may cause technical difficulties with the battery.

Think about it though: how can positively charged ions any bigger than an electron (even a proton, which is ~1800 times more massive than an electron; and electrons may not even have a conventional "size" we can even conceptualize) ever hope to move through the solid-lattice structure of closely packed, dense, positively charged atomic nuclei of whatever conductive material the wire is composed of? It simply doesn't make sense. The only reason electrons can even flow through the wire is because they may traverse the inter-connected network of orbitals present in the solid structure; how could protons ever do this? Furthermore, a salt bridge is meant to maintain electric neutrality.
For the wire to act as a salt bridge negative ions would have to flow through the wire in the opposite direction of electrons and simultaneously positively charged ions would have to flow in the same direction as the electrons -- all through the same material at the same time.

It just doesn't make sense. That's my 2 cents.

can OP provide more information about the set up of the cell and the type of wire used?