Wiser to schedule morning interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dragonfly411

Megalagrion jugarum
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, does anyone think, in general, it's wiser to schedule a morning interview as opposed to an afternoon one, since the interviewers will be fresher in the morning and perhaps in a better mood? I know this shouldn't matter, but psychologically, you would think they'd be more tired by the end of the day after interviewing so many applicants, which may possibly affect their perception of you (and hence your chance for admission).

Members don't see this ad.

I personally would agree with what you said, about the being fresher, etc... Same reason I generally volunteer to go first on class presentations and such, so that you set the bar and leave the first impression. Two other things to consider though... I've had two interviews, one AM and one PM. The nice thing about the AM is that you can really enjoy the tour and presentations since the stressful part is out of the way. However, the PM one gives you a chance to come up with better, more specific questions to ask your interviewer, since you have more than just SDN and the webpage to go on. Ultimately its up to you, but I enjoyed having the interview in the morning.

Dragonfly411 said:
Just out of curiosity, does anyone think, in general, it's wiser to schedule a morning interview as opposed to an afternoon one, since the interviewers will be fresher in the morning and perhaps in a better mood? I know this shouldn't matter, but psychologically, you would think they'd be more tired by the end of the day after interviewing so many applicants, which may possibly affect their perception of you (and hence your chance for admission).

Personally, I prefer mornings. I'm tired by the end of the interview day and find that my mind isn't as sharp after spending the morning and early afternoon stressin' a bit and walking around for the tours, and thus find that I perform better during morning interviews. I also agree with the previous poster's comment that it's nice to have the afternoon tours stress-free because you had morning interviews. Good luck

AJ

Members don't see this ad :)
I prefer mornings, not necessarily because my interviewer will be fresher, but because I will be fresher.

yes, i agree with what you said too. on one of my interviews, i was the last of 9, and it was obvious that my interviewer was getting tired! I definately prefer morning interviews.

i would agree that mornings are better w/the exception of when you have a time difference going west -> east coast. i hated waking up at the equivolent of 4 am in a strange city to get ready for an interview, manuever thru public transpo, etc.

I actually prefer midday interviews. Not too early that I go into a panic attack worrying about missing my appointment because of traffic/poor directions; and not too late because I tend to daydream... and actually once fell asleep waiting for my interview! :eek: :scared: