With the same stats, it is easier to get in top MD-only or MD PhD programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

love2chis

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone, please share your experiences if you don't mind. For an applicant who is research heavy, is it easier to get in a MD-only or MD PhD program of a top medical school using the same stats? I have heard that MD PhD requires much more stellar stats because the limited spots and free everything. I have also heard that MD-only does not like research heavy applicants... Very confused. TIA.

Members don't see this ad.

MD-only applicant here, previously considered applying MD-PhD. My understanding is that for the dual degree applicants, the PhD and your interested field of research largely dictate the schools where you are a good fit.
MD-only schools might not like research heavy applicants because, well, research heavy apps would read more like PhD applications, not MD. Having experience as a researcher doesn’t necessarily help you become a better physician. Research is definitely overrated in the pre-med realm.

Taken with a large handful of salt, comparing my experience as an MD-only applicant a few years ago to more recently as an MD-PhD, MD-PhD seems easier. Of course it could’ve been the greater maturity, more polished writing, etc., but difficulty getting into programs shouldn’t be informing your decision to apply one way or the other. Please don’t apply to MD-PhD if you aren’t committed to the path.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMO, as someone with a mediocre GPA who has had luck with T10/T20 programs this cycle, my GPA felt like less of a barrier for me as an MSTP applicant since I had strong research background and a clear idea of how I want to integrate basic science and clinical work in the future. For example, I am admitted at a program where my GPA is solidly below their 10th percentile for MD students.

Reactions: 1 user
Its different. We will overlook lower(ish) (ie not too low) MCATs and GPA if the research experience, drive and understanding of the physician scientist pathway is strong.

IMO, MD admissions is more stat-driven including things we don't necessarily care about like shadowing hours.

MD committees and MSTP committees are looking for 2 different things. Whichever is easier depends on where your application fits best.

Reactions: 4 users
Well there's ~10X more MD-only spots in those programs and the interview process for the MD programs is less rigorous. For MD/PhD you really have to sell that you are committed to a career in basic research. The MD programs also like having people with a strong research background. So MD-only would is easier, but not by much margin. You should really apply for what you want to do most (it's normal to feel like youre in the middle and not sure which to choose).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
@StIGMA Thanks. Is a career path of translational medicine also well accepted by MD PhD program?
I have read/heard from different places that too strong of research background hurts an applicant at MD-only application, not true?

TIA

Last edited:
1. MD-PhD is generally harder, overall, to get into but you specifically might actually have an easier time with getting into MD-PhD programs if you are a much more research/science-heavy applicant.
2. Different schools do different things: in some schools, you are still evaluated by the MD committee, whereas in other schools, the MSTP committee are fully in charge.
3. Translational medicine is fine, but keep in mind that your application might be read by and you might be interviewed by basic scientists.
4. Too strong of a research background doesn't hurt MD-only -- it hurts if you go all out on research and end up having minimal clinical experience.

Reactions: 1 user