Withdraw from a masters course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amac4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This cycle will be my third application cycle. I am currently enrolled in a Biology Masters program, in my second semester. I am enrolled in an Advanced Human Physiology course that is unbelievably time consuming and difficult. I have contemplated withdrawing from the course if the first exam does not go well because I can not afford to bring down my GPA. This course is more difficult for me because I actually haven't taken any human phys classes before, and I know that it will be beneficial in D school. S0 my question is should I keep the course if I don't do well? What would amissions coms think if they look and see a W in my grad program? Side note: I have never withdrawn from a course during undergrad or this grad program. I will also be taking my DAT again in May, and need to spend a substantial amount of time studying, but this course interferes.

Finally, one ad com suggested waiting until my summer grades are posted in August to submit my application in order to have more As to bring up my science GPA. That makes me nervous. Any thoughts or recommendations on that?

Members don't see this ad.

This cycle will be my third application cycle. I am currently enrolled in a Biology Masters program, in my second semester. I am enrolled in an Advanced Human Physiology course that is unbelievably time consuming and difficult. I have contemplated withdrawing from the course if the first exam does not go well because I can not afford to bring down my GPA. This course is more difficult for me because I actually haven't taken any human phys classes before, and I know that it will be beneficial in D school. S0 my question is should I keep the course if I don't do well? What would amissions coms think if they look and see a W in my grad program? Side note: I have never withdrawn from a course during undergrad or this grad program. I will also be taking my DAT again in May, and need to spend a substantial amount of time studying, but this course interferes.

Finally, one ad com suggested waiting until my summer grades are posted in August to submit my application in order to have more As to bring up my science GPA. That makes me nervous. Any thoughts or recommendations on that?

Terrible idea. It doesnt show you can handle a full load. Start studying every second you have and get at least a B+ at minimum. I have an MS as well and more and more people are getting them every year for d -school.

Terrible idea. It doesnt show you can handle a full load. Start studying every second you have and get at least a B+ at minimum. I have an MS as well and more and more people are getting them every year for d -school.

MS is for the lackluster applicants to boost up their app for D school. there are still plenty of applicants with just BS degree, or better yet, don't even have a BS degree, and still matriculate into dental schools.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
MS is for the lackluster applicants to boost up their app for D school. there are still plenty of applicants with just BS degree, or better yet, don't even have a BS degree, and still matriculate into dental schools.

you only take a few courses in MS so make every one count!

Last edited:

It looks like you got in to two extremely expensive schools. Maybe you should have gotten a MS to boost your lackluster stats?

It looks like you got in to two extremely expensive schools. Maybe you should have gotten a MS to boost your lackluster stats?

please get your facts straight. You only get half right. That is a F-.

MWU AZ is the expensive private schoool.

UNLV is a public school that even grants in state residence after 1 year and collects in state tuition after 1 year. Feel free to read more on it in your leisure time.

but you are right, I might have to get multiple MS degrees in Texas so I can go to Texas dental schools.

Last edited:

Why do you feel like you have the right to put down people that decided to not give up on their dreams and go the MS route. Everyone has a different path, so do not judge. Since you know a lot, I'm sure you're aware that dental school is getting more and more competitive each year. Some people with awesome gpas & DAT don't even get in because they are missing something (ECs, interview skills, passion, personality). Going straight into dental school right after undergraduate does not guarantee your success as a dentist. Congratulations on your acceptances into two great schools and good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Why do you feel like you have the right to put down people that decided to not give up on their dreams and go the MS route. Everyone has a different path, so do not judge. Since you know a lot, I'm sure you're aware that dental school is getting more and more competitive each year. Some people with awesome gpas & DAT don't even get in because they are missing something (ECs, interview skills, passion, personality). Going straight into dental school right after undergraduate does not guarantee your success as a dentist. Congratulations on your acceptances into two great schools and good luck!

look, I don't look down on anybody to be honest. it is just your interpretation. I just mean that MS degrees are not even needed or recommended for dental schools if you have done everything right and get an acceptable undergrad GPA. This is to encourage other predents to work harder in the 4 years of undergrad so they waste less time and money on masters and still struggle to get in.

people with awesome GPAs and DATs (with applying in summer) are almost all likely to get in given they have acceptable ECs. when people have awesome GPAs and DATs, they have the reasons/drive to explain their passion and personality in interviews. the schools don't usually look for perfect and well-performed interviews. many people answer with shaking voice and hand and still get accepted.

nothing guarantees your future success other than yourself and your personal drive. a person enters Dschool after multiple masters also doesnt have this guaranteed success. but you know what they do have? they have guaranteed accumulated debt, a much higher debt <----- my point

Last edited:
look, I don't look down on anybody to be honest. it is just your interpretation. I just mean that MS degrees are not even needed or recommended for dental schools if you have done everything right and get an acceptable undergrad GPA. This is to encourage other predents to work harder in the 4 years of undergrad so they waste less time and money on masters and still struggle to get in.

people with awesome GPAs and DATs (with applying in summer) are almost all likely to get in given they have acceptable ECs. when people have awesome GPAs and DATs, they have the reasons/drive to explain their passion and personality in interviews. the schools don't usually look for perfect and well-performed interviews. many people answer with shaking voice and hand and still get accepted.

nothing guarantees your future success other than yourself and your personal drive. a person enters Dschool after multiple masters also doesnt have this guaranteed success. but you know what they do have? they have guaranteed accumulated debt, a much higher debt <----- my point

Some of this is true but it depends on the situation. but also there are MS in sciences that cost between 8-12,000 which is nothing compared to dental school tuition. Mine cost about 10,000 total for 2 years and the school covered it in exchange for TAing. If you attend MWU or another private science masters then yes, you will have much more debt. Those are the ones most talked about (Barry, MWU, etc) on here so people will borrow astronomical amounts. On the other hand, if you have an MS from a public school and get into a state school then it pays off.

Reactions: 1 user

Definitely, but some people may interpret it the way I did because of your choice of words. If that's your main point (higher debt), then it would have been easier to just tell the OP that a Master's will cause you more debt so try to avoid that route. At the end of the day, all of us will be sitting in the same class studying dentistry. MS, BS, 50 year olds, etc...who cares!

Reactions: 1 users
Definitely, but some people may interpret it the way I did because of your choice of words. If that's your main point (higher debt), then it would have been easier to just tell the OP that a Master's will cause you more debt so try to avoid that route. At the end of the day, all of us will be sitting in the same class studying dentistry. MS, BS, 50 year olds, etc...who cares!

Agreed. Everyone takes a different path... some of us do a longer one that teaches us lessons that will allow us to excel later. In my MS I learn everyday and I am so much more confident in sciences and I'm sure I'll be at the very top of my class next year. Theres an argument for that too as well..

And she's already enrolled anyways. My advice is to take each course as an opportunity to prove yourself and to pour yourself into your studies for the ONE year or maybe ONE semester. A few months of torture is worth it. Thats all you need :)

Reactions: 1 user

Have you considered pushing back your DAT? Dont withdraw in my opinion.

It sounds like your first exam hasn't happened. Think about how badly you would like to get into dental school and how much you've already invested and give it your all. Also if you're feeling drowned by the amount of information go to office hours and probe them for what's important/what to focus on.

Do some people do a master's before dental school just because of personal interest? Or because they were working on their ECs, but needed to continue in school to avoid losing motivation to actually apply for dental school later down the road? It isn't always because they did poorly as an undergrad, is it?

Do some people do a master's before dental school just because of personal interest? Or because they were working on their ECs, but needed to continue in school to avoid losing motivation to actually apply for dental school later down the road? It isn't always because they did poorly as an undergrad, is it?

Some people may do MS then decide to go to dental school after MS. People, who have solid GPAs, rarely do MS for personal interest (risk lowering the GPA, waste energy to study, waste time, waste money, 10k for cheap master above is still money and can be better used somewhere else). Normally if their GPA is solid, they just apply and take a gap year to attend interviews, travel, work, do something of their personal interest. They probably feel burnt out and tired from 4 year of undergrad that they need this time to recuperate and become more mentally healthy. the movitation is always there.

it is usually the people who do poorly as an undergrad who go on to masters or SMP to fix their GPA. if they lack EC, then they can spend a few month working on it full time.

Some people choose SMP because even though it is much more expensive, SMP programs have the guaranteed interview if you maintained above certain GPA. A lot of SMP students do make it into the school's affiliated dental program. SMP is different than master because some masters make you take very specialized classes that are sometimes unrelated to dental school curriculum. I saw SMP students at MWU AZ. Their classes are very similar to dental school classes, and I even heard some schools allow SMP students to take some classes with dental students.

If you do an MS its because you want to enhance your credentials. Its kind of hard to say no to lose motivation because its a full time job. Its not easy. Its not like working where you go home and not worry about it, you have homework and research. And a lot of masters are 2 years (SMP usually 1 year) so its not for someone just not to lose motivation. None of my classes in my MS have to do with dental per se, I had to take ecology & evolution because our dept was so small I wouldnt graduate. I did well in those and I explained anything that boosts scientific reasoning is a plus and the dental schools didnt care. However, concentrate all of your coursework in molecular or anatomical sciences if possible (I did 80% molecular/anatomy and 20% eco/evo).

I got my Masters (MPH in epidemiology) because I am genuinely interested in public health. As much as I love dentistry, public health has always been a very close #2 for me!

Thanks for the extensive responses. A masters program was suggested to me by ad coms to improve my science gpa. I got a 4.0 first semester so I'm just trying to continue the trend. I'm definitely going to push back my dat. My first test in this course is Tuesday so we will see!

Why all the hate on a W? Comparing a transcript having A A A A W and a good DAT score with A A B B C and a mediocre DAT score (hypothetical to if the course is actually causing him to sink), I would take the W any day... At worst you may get a "why the W during an interview."

Why all the hate on a W? Comparing a transcript having A A A A W and a good DAT score with A A B B C and a mediocre DAT score (hypothetical to if the course is actually causing him to sink), I would take the W any day... At worst you may get a "why the W during an interview."

A W is fine in your undergrad. But in a graduate course its a horrible idea, especially when you take 3-4 classes max and right before applying. With grad work they look very closely at your performance.