Withdrawal grades and top tiers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polyploidy516

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,

I would really appreciate your clarification and anecdotes if possible.

As I unfortunately have several W's ( 9 in all; 4 spread out over several years ago and one semester withdrawal---i took 5 classes that semester and had to w from all), I was told that an explanation needs to be given in the app to reassure the adcoms.

As I plan on applying next year, I plan on taking several additional courses with no withdrawals in the next year and acing them.

I would like to know what range of schools I should aim for given this situation? although my overall is low (3.4), I have a very strong upward trend ( 3.7 last term and A's in most upper division and a 3.8+ postbac) and a 40 mCAT.

Would it be reasonable to apply to some top tiers (Columbia, Yale, Harvard, Stanford, etc?) or would these withdrawals hinder me even if i give thorough explanations ( due to medical issues that are now under control and financial circumstances earlier on: parents lost job etc).

any advice or anecdotes would be appreciated. thank you once again

Members don't see this ad.

Sure, go ahead and apply. You'll be asked for reasons, and make sure you tell them what really happened. The Ws won't be your downfall, and the semester withdrawal probably won't be held against you. The cGPA is your downfall for those top schools; upward trends can't quite make up for a GPA that far below the median/average..

Sure, go ahead and apply. You'll be asked for reasons, and make sure you tell them what really happened. The Ws won't be your downfall, and the semester withdrawal probably won't be held against you. The cGPA is your downfall for those top schools; upward trends can't quite make up for a GPA that far below the median/average..

i appreciate your clarification. im only really considering them because of my mcat and upward trend ( my pi also recommended that I apply: shes on the faculty of a top 10). however, ill be sure to apply to other schools as my numbers are more within that range.

I would just like to know if i should bring documentation to interviews and to the committee of my ug to prove that I am not lying about these circumstances and that they were legit?

thanks again for everything

Members don't see this ad :)
i appreciate your clarification. im only really considering them because of my mcat and upward trend ( my pi also recommended that I apply: shes on the faculty of a top 10). however, ill be sure to apply to other schools as my numbers are more within that range.

I would just like to know if i should bring documentation to interviews and to the committee of my ug to prove that I am not lying about these circumstances and that they were legit?

thanks again for everything
That's neurotic and won't be appreciated; unsolicited items at interviews are rarely welcome. Hardly anyone will care/have time to read the "documentation." Show the committee members and have them write the situation into the committee letter; that's what those letters are for, and it is where legions of applicants before you have had special circumstances explained. Write it again on your secondaries where they ask for more information about your educational path, and you'll be fine. No one's going to read anything extra unless they asked for it.

Reactions: 1 user
That's neurotic and won't be appreciated; unsolicited items at interviews are rarely welcome. Hardly anyone will care/have time to read the "documentation." Show the committee members and have them write the situation into the committee letter; that's what those letters are for, and it is where legions of applicants before you have had special circumstances explained. Write it again on your secondaries where they ask for more information about your educational path, and you'll be fine. No one's going to read anything extra unless they asked for it.

ha on second thought, I can definitely see how that can affect their perception of me.

Thanks again!

ha on second thought, I can definitely see how that can affect their perception of me.

Thanks again!
Yeah dude just chill, man.
jesus-says-meme-generator-jesus-says-everything-will-be-a-ok-ac2198.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with moop in that it's not the withdrawals that will preclude you from top tiers but rather your GPA. A 3.6 or even maybe a 3.5 might work with a 40 but I think a 3.4 will run into significant problems unfortunately.

That said with those stats you should still be able to get into medical school provided you covered your bases as far as ECs and stuff go.

Reactions: 1 users