Withdrawal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prozach

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say that I end up applying to a few MD schools later on in my college career. Right now, I'm taking a summer Calc II course at a local community college. I am going to my undergraduate college next year, and will be starting off as a freshman. Since I'm still a senior in high school, we have some graduation excercises that are mandatory. The school rescheduled them right in the middle of my calc class time slot, meaning I might have to withdraw from the course, MIGHT. How badly would a 'W' look on a transcript? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

There is no way to get out of it? There has to be a way to get out of it. I don't believe that you've tried every option.

Medikit said:
There is no way to get out of it? There has to be a way to get out of it. I don't believe that you've tried every option.

The add/drop period ended a while ago.....is there an additional way other than a drop or a withdrawal to get out of a course?

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to the college registrar or advisor and tell them your tale of woe. See if they'll let you drop past the drop date. And/or go to your high school and explain that you're enrolled in a college course and have already paid your tuition and ask if the exercises are REALLY mandatory or if they can waive them for you.

But if you have ONE W on a course you withdrew from while you're still in high school it's not really going to hurt your application. If you want, you can use a sentence of your personal statement or a relevant section in your secondary application to explain the situation. It's not as if you withdrew from a whole semester and it's not the same as having a pattern of a bunch of W's scattered throughout your transcript.

OP -- I am not sure I understand the problem -- you are thinking about withdrawing from an entire course because you will need to miss one class session? Couldn't you just get someone's notes or go to the prof's office hours to get an overview of what you missed? Or is the graduation a month-long celebration or something? Regardless, it would really not be a big deal to have a W if you need to withdraw. By the time you apply it will be so long ago that it won't matter as much.

Prozach said:
Let's say that I end up applying to a few MD schools later on in my college career. Right now, I'm taking a summer Calc II course at a local community college. I am going to my undergraduate college next year, and will be starting off as a freshman. Since I'm still a senior in high school, we have some graduation excercises that are mandatory. The school rescheduled them right in the middle of my calc class time slot, meaning I might have to withdraw from the course, MIGHT. How badly would a 'W' look on a transcript? Thanks.

Hey,

How many class sessions? I suggest you talk to somebody in the course and ask for their notes. I missed my share of class periods as an undergrad. Just make sure you don't miss days when HW is due, quizzes, or exams. And if it really becomes an issue... Talk to your HS. This is the first time I've heard of "mandatory" graduation exercises. At my high school there were a few kids who missed graduation because they already began college (they were in some accelerated BS/MD program). I really think it's a non-issue. Withdrawing from the course should be your last option.

Jason

Thanks for the help guys.

zola -- There are a series of grad. excercises that start the two weeks before the actual ceremony on June 26. I think my class advisor said there are 4 each week, one a day. Their purpose ranges from rehearsels, to pictures, and a bunch of other stuff. They were originally scheduled for the afternoon, buy so many sports players had practice or games, that they rescheduled them for the early morning. I have calc at 8, so I would end up missing a week or two of my *six week long* summer calc course. :scared: That's too much. I'm still trying to talk to the school, etc. I just wanted to see what would happen if I do end up withdrawaing from the course.

Is there a different session of the same class that meets at a different time even if there is a different teacher?

Also, we had some mandatory graduation rehearsals, but if I remember correctly, a lot of people missed them. And they still got their degree and went to college and have been fine since.

Finally, talk to folks at your high school to see if they can work something out, like going to some of the exercises (you wouldnt want to miss your class photo now!) but missing the less relevent ones - like that lets all bbq and play soft-ball and bond before we graduate.