Withdrawing applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dnsylvester

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I was lucky enough to receive an acceptance at one of my top choice schools today. I want to withdraw from some of the other schools I applied to, but some of them don't have a "Withdraw" button on their application pages for users. Is it acceptable to send the admissions office an email declaring my wish to withdraw? I don't want someone else to miss out on an interview spot because of me. Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Just send them an email. It's acceptable and encouraged. Congrats!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all, I was lucky enough to receive an acceptance at one of my top choice schools today. I want to withdraw from some of the other schools I applied to, but some of them don't have a "Withdraw" button on their application pages for users. Is it acceptable to send the admissions office an email declaring my wish to withdraw? I don't want someone else to miss out on an interview spot because of me. Thanks for any help!
That's how I withdrew from some last year. Should be fine....and congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure to include your AMCAS ID when you do so. Some may need it to verify your identity.

Reactions: 1 user
You can also withdraw over the phone, but it's a bit more awkward... I prefer sending emails, but one of my schools requested that post-II withdrawals occur over the phone. Keep that in mind as well in case any of the schools you're withdrawing from fall under that category.

So what is the etiquette/advice regarding withdrawals? Is there some references regarding this or is it just word of mouth?

So what is the etiquette/advice regarding withdrawals? Is there some references regarding this or is it just word of mouth?
Dear School X,

While I am very pleased for your offer of acceptance/interview, I have chosen to attend another school (list it if you want, for reason Z if you feel necessary).
I wish you and your institution nothing but the best, and I thank you for the time, energy, and faith you placed in me.

Sincerely,
Asyouwish

Okay so I understand now how to write the email for if I want to cancel interviews but I should also cancel other schools lower on my list that I haven't gotten interviews from right? So as to avoid having to cancel any more interviews

Okay so I understand now how to write the email for if I want to cancel interviews but I should also cancel other schools lower on my list that I haven't gotten interviews from right? So as to avoid having to cancel any more interviews
It would be nice of you to do so if you wouldn't consider attending the interview.

and any different template email you would use for that situation?

and any different template email you would use for that situation?
I wrote this:
To the X Office of Admissions,
I am writing to you to withdraw my application for this current cycle. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. My AMCAS ID is XXXXXXXX. Have a great week!
Best,