Withdrawing DO Application to Reapply MD with Higher MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fkfkf

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know similar questions have been asked before, but my situation is different than anything I've seen. I originally took the MCAT in the summer and got a 29. I retook it in January and scored a 33. Before I got my new scores, I applied to MD and DO schools even though I would prefer MD. I am currently waitlisted at two MD schools and am waiting to hear back post interview from DO schools. The wait list decisions were most likely made before my new scores were in.

Now that my score has gone up fairly significantly, I believe that I would rather reapply to MD schools than attend a DO school. I wanted to know if I should withdraw from the DO schools so I wouldn't have to say to MD schools next year that I turned down a DO acceptance. Would MD schools care that I turned down a DO acceptance to reapply (given my new scores, etc.)? I additionally have a family situation that makes it much better location wise, etc. to re try for the MD schools. I am concerned that I will receive a DO acceptance soon and want to know if I should withdraw before that happens, or if it is ok to keep the DO option in case I decide not to reapply.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think anyone at an MD school would care that you withdrew from a DO accept. they wouldn't even know, unless you told them. AACOMAS and AMCAS don't talk to each other.

I know similar questions have been asked before, but my situation is different than anything I've seen. I originally took the MCAT in the summer and got a 29. I retook it in January and scored a 33. Before I got my new scores, I applied to MD and DO schools even though I would prefer MD. I am currently waitlisted at two MD schools and am waiting to hear back post interview from DO schools. The wait list decisions were most likely made before my new scores were in.

Now that my score has gone up fairly significantly, I believe that I would rather reapply to MD schools than attend a DO school. I wanted to know if I should withdraw from the DO schools so I wouldn't have to say to MD schools next year that I turned down a DO acceptance. Would MD schools care that I turned down a DO acceptance to reapply (given my new scores, etc.)? I additionally have a family situation that makes it much better location wise, etc. to re try for the MD schools .

Thank you in advance!

Reactions: 1 users
is it worth $200k to you to be an MD?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think anyone at an MD school would care that you withdrew from a DO accept. they wouldn't even know, unless you told them. AACOMAS and AMCAS don't talk to each other.
Some MD schools ask about this in the secondary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to clarify, I'm not really asking if I should do it or not in terms of MD vs. DO. I'm more concerned about how the MD schools might view it.

Now that my score has gone up fairly significantly, I believe that I would rather reapply to MD schools than attend a DO school. I wanted to know if I should withdraw from the DO schools so I wouldn't have to say to MD schools next year that I turned down a DO acceptance. Would MD schools care that I turned down a DO acceptance to reapply (given my new scores, etc.)? I additionally have a family situation that makes it much better location wise, etc. to re try for the MD schools. I am concerned that I will receive a DO acceptance soon and want to know if I should withdraw before that happens, or if it is ok to keep the DO option in case I decide not to reapply.

Thank you in advance!

My suggestion is that if you have no plans to attend a DO school, you withdraw. Yours is a unique situation, and you went from having little chance of being accepted to an MD school to a pretty good chance, and the fact that you were able to improve so significantly on the MCAT means a great deal, so withdraw now out of courtesy to others who want an acceptance more than you do and reapply next year.

Reactions: 4 users
think of the lost income, if you get in somewhere this year go be a doctor

Reactions: 5 users
Reactions: 13 users
OP did you notify the two schools you're Wl'ed at about your new MCAT?

If you got multiple MD interviews this cycle with the old MCAT and you're going to keep doing and maybe adding a few EC's to improve your app for next cycle, I think you'd stand a good shot.

You jumped up about 20 percentile between those two exams and that's no small feat. Congrats.

think of the lost income, if you get in somewhere this year go be a doctor

Think of wondering 'what if youd applied with a 33 instead of a 29'.

It's nowhere near as black and white as you're trying to make it seem.

Of course it's not, but that defeats his entire rationale.

It's nowhere near as black and white as you're trying to make it seem.

giving up a year of physician income costs you about $200k, it really is that simple a question. The answer may depend a lot on your value judgements but it's a very real question

giving up a year of physician income costs you about $200k, it really is that simple a question. The answer may depend a lot on your value judgements but it's a very real question

it really isn't just about money. This affects where you go for 4 years, where you end up after 4 years, where you practice after residency. It isn't just about "lost" salary of delaying 1 year.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
it really isn't just about money. This affects where you go for 4 years, where you end up after 4 years, where you practice after residency. It isn't just about "lost" salary of delaying 1 year.

it is 100% about deciding if those things are worth $200k

Those things are easily worth $200K. It's on clearance, buy one get one free, value at that price.

Reactions: 1 user

Not really? Let's say he wants in a competitive specialty, and he goes to DO, ends up being unhappy there, does poorly, and doesn't end up in, let's say, neurosurgery, is it still about those 200k? He's "losing" money in yearly income that will accumulate to more than 200k. Still worth it trying to "save" that 200k?

Just retire a year later.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Why put a dollar amount on each year..? Live you're damn life people. If you're going into it for the money in the first place, then what's the point you'll end up miserable either way.

Reactions: 6 users

NobelPrize.jpg

While I appreciate the discussion if it's worth it financially to take an additional year off, I wanted to know if anyone had any more input on my actual question. Thanks!

While I appreciate the discussion if it's worth it financially to take an additional year off, I wanted to know if anyone had any more input on my actual question. Thanks!

haha , ops.

maybe see how the MD waitlist pans out first?

A) DOs can be neurosurgeons.
B) One doesn't merely waltz into a competitive residency because one has an MD. They're competitive for a reason.

Not really? Let's say he wants in a competitive specialty, and he goes to DO, doesn't end up in, let's say, neurosurgery, is it still about those 200k? He's "losing" money in yearly income that will accumulate to more than 200k. Still worth it trying to "save" that 200k?

Just retire a year later.

Reactions: 9 users
A couple things come to my mind--1) you're still going to be a re applicant, and a 29-33 MCAT is good yes, but it's not a fantastic jump. You're not applying as a 33--you're applying as a re-applicant 33. Some of how this is viewed will be dependent upon if you are unique or not as an applicant, and what state you're from. If you're from a state with a low tier MD school or from California--big difference in your odds.

Second thing---why are you still waiting on hearing back from DO schools? The top end DO programs usually have their class filled by now. Furthermore, if you only get 1 acceptance and get rejected at a couple of DO schools, I personally would never give up the certainty of being a physician for a chance at different initials.....

And for what it's worth, you could go to An ivy leave med school, do average on the boards and still not match where you want

haha , ops.

maybe see how the MD waitlist pans out first?

My concern is that I'm going to hear back from the DO schools first.

A couple things come to my mind--1) you're still going to be a re applicant, and a 29-33 MCAT is good yes, but it's not a fantastic jump. You're not applying as a 33--you're applying as a re-applicant 33. Some of how this is viewed will be dependent upon if you are unique or not as an applicant, and what state you're from. If you're from a state with a low tier MD school or from California--big difference in your odds.

Second thing---why are you still waiting on hearing back from DO schools? The top end DO programs usually have their class filled by now. Furthermore, if you only get 1 acceptance and get rejected at a couple of DO schools, I personally would never give up the certainty of being a physician for a chance at different initials.....

And for what it's worth, you could go to An ivy leave med school, do average on the boards and still not match where you want

I interviewed at one of the DO schools a few weeks ago and will hear back any day. And I'm from NY so there are a bunch of fairly low-tier schools.

We must be careful when trying to predict how competitive DOs will be for certain specialties, in the near future. The competitive ones are competitive for everybody. We see in data plastered all over the pre-DO forum an upward trend in DOs entering competitive residencies, but with the ebb and flow of competitiveness among specialties and with the merger, we don't know for certain. So, it seems silly for people to go on about what DOs can and cannot do when addressing persons who would quite possibly graduate med school by the time we have a colony on Mars.

OP was competitive this cycle and got interviews. The MCAT could have potentially held them back. They might still get off the waitlist if they update with MCAT, provided that's what the schools were hesitant about.

A 29->33 is also a freaking 20 percentile jump. That's pretty significant if you ask me.

If LizzyM was what was keeping the OP from getting interviews, then the 33 will help with that. A reapplicant cycle can be pretty awesome if the OP built up their resume and has a better overall package. A higher MCAT is part of that.

Withdrawing after interview =/= declining an acceptance. If you have a good reason to withdraw your app, it will be significantly harder to get accepted there in the future, but not impossible. It also won't kill your odds at other DO schools. If you decline an acceptance you'll never have a shot at that school again and may not have a legit shot at any DO school. So if the MD letters/living close to home mean that much to you, withdraw your app now before you get an acceptance. Keep updating the schools you applied to this year and do what you can to get into those schools you're waitlisted at now so you don't have to reapply.

Re-applying isn't ideal, but if being close to home/going MD is worth the risk of potentially losing a year's salary or even not getting in, then you should do what you need to in order to give yourself the best chance possible if you do have to reapply.

Thank you everyone for your help. Last question- if I am accepted to a DO school and then decline it, at what point would the MD schools find out? Is it a question on AMCAS or just in some secondaries?

Thank you everyone for your help. Last question- if I am accepted to a DO school and then decline it, at what point would the MD schools find out? Is it a question on AMCAS or just in some secondaries?

only in a few secondaries

you know you're not going to accept an offer from a DO school at this point, so make life easier on yourself (at least from an anxiety standpoint) and withdraw now. that way you can truthfully say next cycle you've never been accepted to med school

If you wouldn't accept a DO seat if it were offered to you, then yes, the rational thing to do would be to pull your application ASAP. Then someone else won't have to sit on a waitlist while you agonize about whether to reject the offer.

I don't want to talk people into joining me at a DO school. There are plenty of highly qualified people who actually want those seats. I don't need to convince someone who is on the fence about whether they ought to "settle" for a DO.

The net equation could be substantially different, given the lucrative doors being an MD opens. A 200k net loss initially can turn into a multimillion dollar gain over a working career.

The only real decision is whether you'd rather withdraw from consideration at DO schools now and take your chances at MD (and DO) next year with your improved credentials, or accept a DO slot this year if it's offered to you.

If you'd rather take your chances on a more competitive app, then withdraw from the DO schools NOW, before you get an offer, using your changed family circumstances as your stated reason.

Of course, make sure the MD schools you're waitlisted at know your new score.

Then next year, reapply to MD (and DO) and cross your fingers.

You have two options: withdraw before you get the DO offer, or accept the DO offer. Declining an offer to reapply is a red flag, and while I don't know which schools ask, the ones that do ask will view it as a red flag.

Don't forget rule #25 of admissions: before you apply to a school, ask yourself "If I got accepted here and rejected from every other school on my list, would I be OK with going here?"

We must be careful when trying to predict how competitive DOs will be for certain specialties, in the near future. The competitive ones are competitive for everybody. We see in data plastered all over the pre-DO forum an upward trend in DOs entering competitive residencies, but with the ebb and flow of competitiveness among specialties and with the merger, we don't know for certain. So, it seems silly for people to go on about what DOs can and cannot do when addressing persons who would quite possibly graduate med school by the time we have a colony on Mars.
True. However, it's not just the value of the letters of the degree. MD schools often have more resources available for their students than DO schools (particularly the newer DO schools that don't necessarily have their own hospitals). When a school has its own tertiary medical center, it's likely that all the clerkship/elective and research opportunities will go towards those medical students.

My overall point: Going to a MD school over a DO school generally gives one a leg up in the long run, and not just in regards towards antiquated biases.

After much agonizing, I decided to withdraw my DO applications. Hopefully a MD school will work out this year or if needed after reapplying. Thank you for all the helpful advice- it's greatly appreciated.

Reactions: 4 users
After much agonizing, I decided to withdraw my DO applications. Hopefully a MD school will work out this year or if needed after reapplying. Thank you for all the helpful advice- it's greatly appreciated.

Good luck, if you don't mind updating at the end of this cycle or if you get in it would be appreciated. I'm interested to hear how this goes for you.

Thank you in advance!

Reapply MD, and let that DO position go to someone who wants to be there.

Wish you the best

Avoiding the added stress of OMM to already stressful coursework could be worth it