Withdrawing to re-apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pluto101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before you call me crazy, let me explain.

I've applied MD/PhD to 17 programs. I've haven't heard back from 8. I have received 2 interview invites. One is from a program I don't know much about, and I am attending the interview to scout out the school. The other is from a dream program. None of the schools I have left are "exciting" schools, and at this point I doubt I will get an interview from them anyway.

There are two factors that are making me think about withdrawing my applications.

1) I feel like I shot myself in the foot by applying this cycle. I had virtually no clinical experience. If I reapply next year, I will have 150 hours of hospital volunteering and 40 hours of shadowing. I've sent update letters, to little effect. The schools which have rejected me have said that my application was strong, and that the lack of clinical experience is what did me in.

I also think that, knowing what I know now, I would approach my essays entirely differently. Between these two things, having another year of research and a publication under my belt, and applying early (as opposed to early September), I think my application would be substantially stronger next year.

2) My dream school interview went very well, and I think I have a decent chance of getting in. However, it is in NYC. My fiancee has never liked NYC, and she has since made it clear she would be miserable if she lived there for seven years. If I was accepted to this program, I don't know that I would go. In addition, if I waited a year to apply, we could apply to programs together, and so we could coordinate our applications better.

I'm disappointed with my performance this cycle, and I think I could substantially improve my application. As far as the programs I haven't heard back from yet: If, next year, I only get an acceptance to one of these programs, I would go. As it stands, I think I would get into a program I would be happier with if I reapplied.

I think I need to withdraw from this dream program to preserve my chances of reapplying. If I am accepted to a program, that basically ends any hope I have of reapplying, right? What's the best way to handle this?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes. If you turn down an acceptance, from what I understand, you will have little to no hope of ever getting in anywhere again if you reapply. I can't imagine that your application will be looked at favorably next year at those 17 schools if you withdraw from them. As you probably know, most secondary apps ask if you have ever applied to their school before so they will see that you withdrew. With so many strong applicants, seeing that you withdrew could be all the criteria they need to just straight out reject you.

I never understand why people apply to schools that they are not interested in/ wouldn't attend if it was their only acceptance. You're basically shooting yourself in the foot by doing this, and you won't be happy. Too late to change this for you unfortunately.

My opinion : Ride out the rest of this cycle without withdrawing. If you get an acceptance, take it and run. If you don't get in, reapply next year. It sounds like your app will be very strong next year. Also, the chances of you and your fiancé ending up at the same school are pretty slim. I do believe A FEW schools take this into consideration (penn? maybe i'm remembering wrong but one of my secondarys definitely asked something about considering significant others ), but the entire process is a crapshoot.

Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 2 users
My opinion : Ride out the rest of this cycle without withdrawing. If you get an acceptance, take it and run. If you don't get in, reapply next year. It sounds like your app will be very strong next year. Also, the chances of you and your fiancé ending up at the same school are pretty slim. I do believe A FEW schools take this into consideration (penn? maybe i'm remembering wrong but one of my secondarys definitely asked something about considering significant others ), but the entire process is a crapshoot.

I have to agree with Jingle here it is one thing if you dont get an acceptance and you reapply it is quite another to get accepted, decline and then reapply. You are setting yourself up for failure if you dont take an acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't withdraw. Just take whatever you get and make the most of it.

You've displayed some very poor choice making and are about to terminate your medical career. Good luck.

Before you call me crazy, let me explain.

I've applied MD/PhD to 17 programs. I've haven't heard back from 8. I have received 2 interview invites. One is from a program I am not thrilled about, though I will attend the interview to scout out the school. The other is from a dream program. None of the schools I have left are "exciting" schools, and at this point I doubt I will get an interview from them anyway.

There are two factors that are making me think about withdrawing my applications.

1) I feel like I shot myself in the foot by applying this cycle. I had virtually no clinical experience. If I reapply next year, I will have 150 hours of hospital volunteering and 40 hours of shadowing. I've sent update letters, to little effect. The schools which have rejected me have said that my application was strong, and that the lack of clinical experience is what did me in.

I also think that, knowing what I know now, I would approach my essays entirely differently. Between these two things, having another year of research and a publication under my belt, and applying early (as opposed to early September), I think my application would be substantially stronger next year.

2) My dream school interview went very well, and I think I have a decent chance of getting in. However, it is in NYC. My fiancee has never liked NYC, and she has since made it clear she would be miserable if she lived there for seven years. If I was accepted to this program, I don't know that I would go. In addition, if I waited a year to apply, we could apply to programs together, and so we could coordinate our applications better.

I'm disappointed with my performance this cycle, and I think I could substantially improve my application. As far as the programs I haven't heard back from yet: If, next year, I only get an acceptance to one of these programs, I would go. As it stands, I think I would get into a program I would be happier with if I reapplied.

I think I need to withdraw from this dream program to preserve my chances of reapplying. If I am accepted to a program, that basically ends any hope I have of reapplying, right? What's the best way to handle this?

Reactions: 11 users
I don't know how old or mature you are but denying your dream school for a spouse will end in a life with regret. This process is too volatile to throw it away and I think schools saying you lack clinical experience are just sugar coating things. MD/Ph.D is so competitive you don't want to do this again. You should listen to Goro on this one.

Reactions: 5 users
See this through. If you reapply after a rejection then whatever - you can apply again without much held against you. I've heard schools like to see perseverance (and a significantly different app to show your committment). If you withdraw.. Well, unless you make up a compelling reason, it shows really poor judgement on your end (at least as everyone else seems to point to).

Reactions: 1 users
May I ask a question? I applied to a school that I can no longer attend because my circumstances have changed and it is in a location that I believed before was workable for my fiance (I'm a nontrad and have been with my fiance for 10 years), and now I've learned that if I move there, I do so alone, 8 hours from home. Of course, this school is one of the few that have actually invited me for an interview. Is it better to decline the interview in advance than it would be to decline the acceptance? Is my career over either way or can I save my chances for next year? Finding this thread today has been quite the wake up call!

May I ask a question? I applied to a school that I can no longer attend because my circumstances have changed and it is in a location that I believed before was workable for my fiance (I'm a nontrad and have been with my fiance for 10 years), and now I've learned that if I move there, I do so alone, 8 hours from home. Of course, this school is one of the few that have actually invited me for an interview. Is it better to decline the interview in advance than it would be to decline the acceptance? Is my career over either way or can I save my chances for next year? Finding this thread today has been quite the wake up call!

A few questions for you @clairephillips -- You've been with this person for 10 years and aren't married yet. And an acceptance in this 'other' location would mean going there alone. I certainly don't know the story of your relationship, and it may be a complete non-issue, but that combination of factors troubles me and suggests an imbalance in the relationship, with you waiting and waiting and giving and giving and perhaps being strung along to some degree; and a relationship like that (if that's what it is) tends not to end well. If your finance doesn't value you enough to actually get married and move with you to where-ever you've been accepted, then tell him it's been a fun 10 years and you wish him the best - buh-bye. (Hope I misinterpreted.)

-------------------

@pluto101 -- It's perfectly reasonable (and wise) to withdraw your application from a school you don't like post-interview, though it's foolish to apply in the first place if you weren't excited then. Withdrawing from your 'dream school' doesn't sound like a good idea, especially when you factor in the odds of both you and your fiance landing in the same place are pretty low.

Reactions: 1 user
A few questions for you @clairephillips -- You've been with this person for 10 years and aren't married yet. And an acceptance in this 'other' location would mean going there alone. I certainly don't know the story of your relationship, and it may be a complete non-issue, but that combination of factors troubles me and suggests an imbalance in the relationship, with you waiting and waiting and giving and giving and perhaps being strung along to some degree; and a relationship like that (if that's what it is) tends not to end well. If your finance doesn't value you enough to actually get married and move with you to where-ever you've been accepted, then tell him it's been a fun 10 years and you wish him the best - buh-bye. (Hope I misinterpreted.)

-------------------

@pluto101 -- It's perfectly reasonable (and wise) to withdraw your application from a school you don't like post-interview, though it's foolish to apply in the first place if you weren't excited then. Withdrawing from your 'dream school' doesn't sound like a good idea, especially when you factor in the odds of both you and your fiance landing in the same place are pretty low.
Thank you for that. I'll PM you.

People that think they're going to hate new york are usually those that haven't ever spent quality time there out care too much about sports rivalries.

IF you get into your DREAM school in NYC and don't go because your fiance, you are out of your mind !

I've lived in places a hell of a lot worse than NYC. It was fine. Would I go back? Hell no! But you make the best of it and have an adventure.
What are you going to do when it is time for the residency match? Only apply to the 10 programs in the cities your partner likes? What about jobs?
You and your partner sound immature at best. If your partner is laying down ultimatums, it's time to move on. You can only make so many sacrifices during your path to becoming a physician. They're on board or not. That's the burden of marrying a physician. They're going to have to do some dinners, holidays, school plays and Halloween without you sometimes as well.

Last edited:
I mixed up the two posters. Whatever, you can figure out what applies to who. The advice is similar anyway.
I don't live in my dream location now, but I took a far above average job that allowed me to do what I want. We both made sacrifices to move here and ... it's worked out fine. My wife, who left a good job, now has a better job with a better company and a better career trajectory. We can always retire to our desired location, and earlier with more money.