Withholding scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureped

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I've heard from the Dean of our medical school that we should not withhold our scores from Step 2 because it may look like we are trying to hide something. However, many students have told me that I should withhold them unless I do really well. I did better than average on step 1. What have you all heard about this???? :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

futureped said:
Hey all,
I've heard from the Dean of our medical school that we should not withhold our scores from Step 2 because it may look like we are trying to hide something. However, many students have told me that I should withhold them unless I do really well. I did better than average on step 1. What have you all heard about this???? :smuggrin:
wondering how u can withhold step 2 scores while submitting step 1 scores?

futureped said:
Hey all,
wondering how u can withhold step 2 scores while submitting step 1 scores? is it possible please advise????

I think it really depends - I released my scores. Some people do not. So long as you didn't bomb step 2 you will be fine - if you did equal or better, you're golden. If you don't want to look like you're "hiding something" (in my opinion, it is not very likely that a residency program will think you are hiding something just because they do not have your step 2 scores), you could always take step 2 in January/February - after interview season is practically over. That way, no problem with the issue of subterfuge.

JustDOingIt: when you apply through ERAS and release your USMLE scores, there is the option to not re-release your USMLE transcript if it changes. This is how you don't release your step 2 scores, provided step 2 scores are not already on the transcript when you release it. Your COMLEX score transcript is not updated after you release it, so if you release before your step 2 score is available, the residency will not have access to step 2 score.

DeLaughterDO said:
I think it really depends - I released my scores. Some people do not. So long as you didn't bomb step 2 you will be fine - if you did equal or better, you're golden. If you don't want to look like you're "hiding something" (in my opinion, it is not very likely that a residency program will think you are hiding something just because they do not have your step 2 scores), you could always take step 2 in January/February - after interview season is practically over. That way, no problem with the issue of subterfuge.

JustDOingIt: when you apply through ERAS and release your USMLE scores, there is the option to not re-release your USMLE transcript if it changes. This is how you don't release your step 2 scores, provided step 2 scores are not already on the transcript when you release it. Your COMLEX score transcript is not updated after you release it, so if you release before your step 2 score is available, the residency will not have access to step 2 score.

oh ok..thanks so then what do u do when ur comlex step 2 scores come out and u wanna release them?

Well, I don't figure my COMLEX 2 scores will much matter, since they are not projecting the new computerized scores to be released until late in the season. I guess if you got your score back and really wanted the programs to have it, you could bring your score report with you on your interviews and let them copy it - or have your dean's office fax it to the programs individually.

futureped said:
Hey all,

Our Dean advised us NOT to automatically release Step 2 scores because the programs will actually see your score BEFORE you do! In fact, the ERAS application says "...transmission may occur BEFORE you receive notification of the results of the examination." It gives you no control over nonessential information that is as likely to be harmful as helpful.

I will take step 2 in 2 wks. I did not release. I'll release after I see my score. :scared:

2006MD said:
I will take step 2 in 2 wks. I did not release. I'll release after I see my score. :scared:

I was under the assumption that you could not change your choice and release if you originally did not release. Maybe I didn't read the info well enough.

I was confident enough in my performance on the exam, I didn't think it was a big deal.

I believe you can just re-trasmit your scores, even if you previously withheld (anyone have any info on this). I am taking them in a month and plan to re-transmit. My issue was that people told me that I should definitely withhold because it doesn't hurt to do that. Then the dean said (after I submitted my app) that if you withhold it looks like you are hiding something. Why would it matter? I intend to release them. I did fine on step 1, but I just wanted to see my score before everyone else did!