Without a net...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fidicinal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, all this talk of backup plans has got me thinking... specifically about my lack of one. This is my second time applying, after doing a research fellowship.

What are some of your backup plans?

Members don't see this ad.

By which I mean, is anyone considering another specialty as a backup?

Members don't see this ad :)
Fidicinal,

My backup plan would be just that -- do a research fellowship and reapply.
If that still doesn't pan out... maybe choose another specialty? That would be tough though b/c I won't necessarily have done enough rotations in that specialty to get LORs... ugh... I hope I don't have to go down that route.

So, all this talk of backup plans has got me thinking... specifically about my lack of one. This is my second time applying, after doing a research fellowship.

What are some of your backup plans?

Path or Pharma.

Ok, I've considered the Path route myself, especially since I could most likely scramble into a spot in a decent location. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

By Pharma, I'm assuming you mean working for the industry? I hear stories of people ending up there, but have no idea how one goes about getting those jobs.

Are there any other options for an unlicensed MD that could eventually lead to loan-repayment?

Me too seriously though. After res I think I might really do it part time.

Sweet.

I didn't consider the part time route. *thinking* I'm getting way into it as a hobby. I just spent 2 hours last night on Amazon looking at cooking stuff. heh.

Hope we're still around here then...I'd like to hear how it goes for you.

Sweet.

I didn't consider the part time route. *thinking* I'm getting way into it as a hobby. I just spent 2 hours last night on Amazon looking at cooking stuff. heh.

Hope we're still around here then...I'd like to hear how it goes for you.

Yeah hopefully I'll still be around. Have these delusions of grandeur of becoming an Iron Chef. Will keep you guys updated on that one.

Long Dong, I am confused... I thought you were a Derm resident?!?!

Long Dong, I am confused... I thought you were a Derm resident?!?!

I'm a derm resident. I'm talkin about when I finish residency I'm going to take some cooking classes and some pick up artist classes as well.

I'm a derm resident. I'm talkin about when I finish residency I'm going to take some cooking classes and some pick up artist classes as well.

:thumbup:
I have a degree in art and plan to do the same also.

I was looking around tonight, and if anyone is interested and near Dallas, Neiman Marcus offers cooking classes. They are one day things, so not much of a commitment.

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/info/restaurantContent.jhtml?rest=100001&displayId=2100001

I apologize for taking this thread horribly OT. :oops:

considering path or preventive medicine. will go for something outside the match.

So for those seniors who don't match, and don't have a backup specialty, what's it like on match day for them? Is it awkward being around matched classmates, or are people generally supportive and understanding that derm is a hard match?

i didn't go to match day at my school (went to husband's at his school and it wasn't awkward even though everyone knew i didn't match). it was difficult to show up to class (we were all taking a non-clinical patient doctor type class during match week) the morning i found out i didn't match. i felt kind of stupid, but whatever, i showed up. there were several others who didn't match, most of whom did not show up. i went to the pre-match day party, and it wasn't awkward at all. for me the hardest part was finding out i didn't match, and overall it was actually a relief b/c at least i knew and didn't have to worry about it anymore.

Out of curiosity...it seems Pathology is a common thing that people consider for a backup plan. I'm wondering why that is. I have an interest in the field of Path and know I would be happy with it as a career (Derm makes so much sense to me and I want the patient contact, but Path is really interesting).

Is there some kind of commonality between the fields (other than the obvious) that draws derm hopefuls to Pathology as a back up? Is it possibly the visual nature of the two fields? If so, what about radiology?..or does it just come down to the obvious concept of pathology leading to a career in dermpath?

I considered pathology as well at one point. I think because dermatologists see pathology so often, and there is such a strong clinic-pathologic correlation that people who go into derm must have Some interest in path too. That or rheum.