WL Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nontrad_FL_LGBT

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm on the WL for my top school right now, but as a non-trad with a family, rushing around to move 14+ hours away a week or two before classes start is really not fair to put them through. We essentially have to buy a house with our family circumstances so it would also be kind of nuts to put that mostly on my husband to handle while I'm trying to get ready for med school.

I'm also starting a new work opportunity with a 1 year contract attached in July, assuming I don't hear back by then. I can break the contract and pay back about $1.5k for schooling so it's not the end of the world but it's attached to a major hospital system I wouldn't mind working for in the future so I don't want to burn any bridges.

Would withdrawing at the end of June to reapply look bad or am I being neurotic? Would this affect my chances for a reapp with the school?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It is totally reasonable to pick a date by which you would withdraw your application from consideration given the work contract you are considering, as well as the logistic of moving a family across the country on relatively short notice.

Withdrawing at the end of June would not look bad. Having been on the waitlist and choosing to reapply shows that you are still interested in the school which is considered a plus in my book, not a negative.

Reactions: 2 users
Processes like these are not designed to be compassionate to candidates with families. It's appropriate to put your family's welfare above a school's desperation to fill a spot in their class or a job vacancy. No one (worth your respect) should punish you for making that choice.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It’s also possible to be accepted and then request a deferral for a year.

Agree with everything said above. This was a wholesome thread :)

• Care
If a school is taking someone from the waitlist in July, they have a seat to fill NOW. They are not likely to look favorably on someone who would accept that offer with the intention of deferring. If you aren't willing to fill a seat this year, get off the waitlist and don't waste my time!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm on the WL for my top school right now, but as a non-trad with a family, rushing around to move 14+ hours away a week or two before classes start is really not fair to put them through. We essentially have to buy a house with our family circumstances so it would also be kind of nuts to put that mostly on my husband to handle while I'm trying to get ready for med school.

I'm also starting a new work opportunity with a 1 year contract attached in July, assuming I don't hear back by then. I can break the contract and pay back about $1.5k for schooling so it's not the end of the world but it's attached to a major hospital system I wouldn't mind working for in the future so I don't want to burn any bridges.

Would withdrawing at the end of June to reapply look bad or am I being neurotic? Would this affect my chances for a reapp with the school?
What are you ties to the state? And why is the work opportunity more important than medical school?

What are you ties to the state? And why is the work opportunity more important than medical school?
It's less the work opportunity and more my family. We have to buy a house with our family structure and doing that in under a month would be very challenging.

Grew up in the state as a kid but haven't lived there as an adult.

It's less the work opportunity and more my family. We have to buy a house with our family structure and doing that in under a month would be very challenging.

Grew up in the state as a kid but haven't lived there as an adult.
The work opportunity is more important than your family, or vice versa? It seems like you have to make a decision. Good luck with whatever you choose

The work opportunity is more important than your family, or vice versa? It seems like you have to make a decision. Good luck with whatever you choose
My family is obviously more important than some work opportunity lol. Do you have a point?

• Okay...
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
My family is obviously more important than some work opportunity lol. Do you have a point?
This is rude language and not conducive to collaboration. Please say what you want to say in an assertive, not aggressive manner.

• Haha
This is rude language and not conducive to collaboration. Please say what you want to say in an assertive, not aggressive manner.
If I may, you are new here. You are asking a lot of questions about values that are not relevant to the question which is at what point should someone on a waitlist remove themself from a waitlist and will that have a negative effect on future opportunities?

At some point, most waitlisted applicants reach a point of no return where they can't wait any longer for what might be and have to go down the path open to them. This could be a job, another school, a relocation in search of new opportunities. The "why" is not relevant so what is your point on harping on it?

• Love