Women and HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drproctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. Was wondering, are there any women or minorities here who signed up for the air force or navy HPSP? If so, what are your experiences? Males are welcome to chime in also with thoughts... Thanks in advance guys.

Edited to add: I am a black female considering HPSP, and I rarely hear of women, (much less black women) choosing this route.

Members don't see this ad.

I worked with a number of black females too and everything was fine. What are you concerned about?

Members don't see this ad :)
There were lots of women at COT when I went with the AF. Not to mention my squadron leader was a black female - although there were plenty others of color and various ethnicity at training also.

I don't think you would find this to be a problem at all, at least from my experience.

I too have worked with many black female physicians. They have been spread across a multitude of specialties.

Race and gender are not huge impacts in mil med as a rule, but there are some operational positions you would not be eligible to do. (Marine Corps division jobs).

Thank you for the responses everyone. Good to know that there's a larger female presence than I had thought. What are the guidelines for pregnancy? What would happen if I were to become pregnant while on active duty?

This may ruffle some feathers, but f*** it...

All the female physicians that I have worked with got out of deployments through getting pregnant, thereby forcing someone else to go in their place. I don't make assumptions whether they timed their pregnancy to overlap with their deployment window (or it was just an "accident"), but it happened for each of them.

Besides that annoyance, female physicians have been just fine in the military. The miltary is said to be discrimination-free, but unfortuantely, I have heard and seen some cases where preference (and suspicion) have been shown based on race, sex, age, etc. You just can't change some people's views, no matter how hard you try. :thumbdown:

Thank you for the responses everyone. Good to know that there's a larger female presence than I had thought. What are the guidelines for pregnancy? What would happen if I were to become pregnant while on active duty?

If you got pregnant while on AD, you would be non-deployable for the length of the pregnancy and then 2 months (?) post-partum.

If you got pregnant while on AD, you would be non-deployable for the length of the pregnancy and then 2 months (?) post-partum.

Try 1 year post partum, adding to your non-deployment frustration.

This may ruffle some feathers, but f*** it...

All the female physicians that I have worked with got out of deployments through getting pregnant, thereby forcing someone else to go in their place. I don't make assumptions whether they timed their pregnancy to overlap with their deployment window (or it was just an "accident"), but it happened for each of them.

Besides that annoyance, female physicians have been just fine in the military. The miltary is said to be discrimination-free, but unfortuantely, I have heard and seen some cases where preference (and suspicion) have been shown based on race, sex, age, etc. You just can't change some people's views, no matter how hard you try. :thumbdown:

Although I've never known anyone who personally did this, I know several male docs from other bases where this has happened. Female doc gets pregnant about 2 months prior to her squadron deploying and another doc has to go instead. It is what it is I guess...