Women in Military Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nylesor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know women are a minority in the military as it is, so I can imagine they are more so in the military medical field. Does anyone here have any experience/opinions on this? For example, are there any pros/cons to having/being a female mil doc and are there any restrictions in what they can do?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, from my (admittedly unscientific) observations, women are better represented in military medicine than in the rest of the military - but admittedly still less than what you would see in civilian medicine.

Pros/cons - the most obvious one that sticks in my mind is the fact that if a women decided to have a family, she does not have the freedom to drop to 1/2 time working or give it up entirely for a few years. This may range from a non-issue to a big deal, depending on the family. (Many women in the civilian world today choose to keep working of course - in the military the freedom to choose isn't there, as long as you're under contract still)

Restrictions? None really. Federal law prevents women from serving in direct combat positions, how that is implemented is up to each service. Previously, the army decided that meant no women in combat arms units of battalion size or smaller (I'm not sure, but this policy may have changed recently), but all that meant previously was that female GMOs wouldn't find themselves in a BAS. Pretty much any military medicine job a doc would have after residency could be filled with either gender.