Women's health in the presidential election

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Miss Alyssa

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does any one here have thoughts on the implications of women's health issues that are being brought up in this election cycle? Some of the things I've heard said by the presidential hopefuls have me worried about the future of ob/gyn and women's health care. Cervical cancer prevention, contraception use and coverage, abortion care and access, sterilization use, family planning services, the status of IVF embryos, prenatal testing have all been rather contentious.

Members don't see this ad.

I think its a really interesting debate. I certainly don't think any religious institution should be forced to buy something they think is morally wrong. Of course I don't think birth control is objectively immoral.

Be very wary of any government official that suddenly decrees that something is "free", like has Obama has for birth control. Health care is certainly not a right and neither is contraception and I am very dismayed at American's lack of understanding what a right is. Its a big part of the reason we are in such economic trouble. The issue is not contraception, its an enormous exercise in power by the government without the consent of the governed.

I have and it is very worrisome. Previously non-controversial or relatively low controversy topics are being brought to the forefront of the election talks and I don't like the implications at all. When I heard what Rick Santorum had to say about prenatal diagnosis I was completely horrified. He spells bad news for women's health care.