Women's Interview Attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry maybe I didn’t ask adequately. I’m not confused about what is considered business professional, I’m more asking why colors/patterns basically anything not super bland/boring is considered NOT business professional? It’s not like someone is wearing a gaping blouse or miniskirt (for women specifically) or something blatantly inappropriate in style - it’s literally just the color of the fabric that can take an otherwise acceptable outfit and make it unacceptable? I’m more asking ‘why’ not ‘what’
I think the answer is as simple as conservative tradition. Should the color of your blouse make a difference? Probably not. After working as hard as you have to actually receive an II, do you really want to risk an A over some stick in the mud interviewer thinking your clothes are too flashy as compared to "back in the day"?

If you truly feel the need to express yourself and don't want to go anywhere where that might not be encouraged by everyone, from the dean to a random interviewer, then definitely feel free to go for it. If you want to get the A first and worry about individuality as expressed by the color of your clothing later, @gyngyn is offering advice from inside the room.

As much as I love to argue, advice like this really doesn't lend itself to arguing because, while you might very well be right in the abstract, that's not going to help you with a TBD stranger in a position to judge who might have the power to derail your candidacy at a given school. @gyngyn is providing advice based on what actually happens, as opposed to maybe what should happen. Why isn't important, so long as it isn't violating any laws against discrimination, but the answer is apparently that some people focus on superficial indicators that candidates respect the process, know their place, and even are willing to conform to expectations. The question then becomes whether you want to play the game, or show the sellers in the sellers' market who decides what color blouse you wear?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry maybe I didn’t ask adequately. I’m not confused about what is considered business professional, I’m more asking why colors/patterns basically anything not super bland/boring is considered NOT business professional? It’s not like someone is wearing a gaping blouse or miniskirt (for women specifically) or something blatantly inappropriate in style - it’s literally just the color of the fabric that can take an otherwise acceptable outfit and make it unacceptable? I’m more asking ‘why’ not ‘what’
It's a form of Situational Judgement Test.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I'm not going to interview until another time (hopefully it will be in-person). I know heel height matters, but does heel style matter? (block, kitten, etc) Thanks!

You need to strike a balance between looking like someone's grandmother and like the girl from the nightclub whose name he didn't get.

The photo below illustrates the same basic black pump in various heel heights. While the heel is a bit slim, I'd suggest any of the first three look professional.
3ae1acc7b4b1310c372af2aa59152113.jpg

Looking specifically at the heels in the collection below (from a site for professional dancing shoes), ANY of these women's styles would be good. The 'Teacher' and Child styles can also work if you're slim, but could be a bit too frumpy on some people.

b219be543147cd846a62ebee8a71be32.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't suggest a heel higher than 3". And not one of those pencil-thin ones. You're going for a professional interview day (which may require a good bit of walking and stairs) not out on a date.

^^I think 3" is pushing it tbh

Basically if you're having second thoughts, I'd forgo the item in question and go with something more conservative

You can get away with a strong color if it's only 1 item--blouse or jacket, paired with a skirt or suit in a more neutral color (black, gray, navy). One of our residents interviewed wearing a lovely marigold-colored silk blouse with a dark suit. I have worn a purple jacket over a black dress. Of course, the color shouldn't be blindingly bright, and the style should be simple. Piling on the ruffles would be a really bad idea.