Won a new year's six bowl during undergrad. Does that count in the awards/honors section of a CV?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwawaysurgeon69

Reaction score
or is that intended only for research/school/academic awards? Should I only mention it in the ECs section, under the football entry?

I don't want to look like an idiot, I just don't have any other awards or honors, aside from conference academic honor rolls. I'm apply to residency this next cycle, and need to send my CV to a couple people and for AIs in a few months.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
While there are no set rules for CVs unless you are given rules, I think that goes under hobbies or extracurriculars. It's a cool thing to know and flash a ring during interviews, but it's not germane to your academics or professional pursuit in medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
But then... if you're thinking to apply ortho... I bet bone-bros would love it!

My opinion is that, unless it's an astounding accomplishment, everything on your CV "expires" after 3-4 years. I don't particularly want to see anything from undergrad on your formal CV. I would be interested in seeing this under your extracurriculars, but again, I would potentially question what degree of emphasis you would want to put on something that may have occurred 5-6 years ago.

My opinion is that, unless it's an astounding accomplishment, everything on your CV "expires" after 3-4 years. I don't particularly want to see anything from undergrad on your formal CV. I would be interested in seeing this under your extracurriculars, but again, I would potentially question what degree of emphasis you would want to put on something that may have occurred 5-6 years ago.
Generally yes, but I would consider being a D1 athlete to be an astounding accomplishment. Not many people have that experience and are also able to get into medical school.

OP to be clear—I wouldn’t call this an award, but it absolute should be on your ERAS. I don’t think it will help you get interviews, but you’ll almost certainly get asked about that experience multiple times over the course of interview season and will likely lead to a softball/favorable line of questioning.

Reactions: 4 users
OP to be clear—I wouldn’t call this an award, but it absolute should be on your ERAS. I don’t think it will help you get interviews, but you’ll almost certainly get asked about that experience multiple times over the course of interview season and will likely lead to a softball/favorable line of questioning.
I agree completely with this, especially if you're applying to Mich, OSU, Bama, UW, etc! I've interviewed tons of applicants (not Med School or residency, but for attending positions) and this is the kind of thing I like to talk about to get an assessment of personality.

Reactions: 4 users
Generally yes, but I would consider being a D1 athlete to be an astounding accomplishment. Not many people have that experience and are also able to get into medical school.

I agree completely with this, especially if you're applying to Mich, OSU, Bama, UW, etc! I've interviewed tons of applicants (not Med School or residency, but for attending positions) and this is the kind of thing I like to talk about to get an assessment of personality.
While there are no set rules for CVs unless you are given rules, I think that goes under hobbies or extracurriculars. It's a cool thing to know and flash a ring during interviews, but it's not germane to your academics or professional pursuit in medicine.

Great points, I agree with you all. I will leave it out of the honors/awards section. I will keep my cfb experience to my ECs.

Even if it was undergrad, I plan to make it one of my 3 most meaningful experiences as it as honestly my #1 most meaningful life experience to date. This is of course, unless this thread firmly disagrees .. I am all ears

Great points, I agree with you all. I will leave it out of the honors/awards section. I will keep my cfb experience to my ECs.

Even if it was undergrad, I plan to make it one of my 3 most meaningful experiences as it as honestly my #1 most meaningful life experience to date. This is of course, unless this thread firmly disagrees .. I am all ears
I think that is potentially fine. You just have to figure out how you’re going to spin this as being relevant for the kind of physician you will be. Blah blah working as a team, overcoming adversity, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Curious, what is “new year’s six bowl” mean anyway?

This is a bowling trophy? It’s definitely not an academic award, and if you put it in hobbies, don’t say anything other than “bowling”.

Likewise, if you say winning a bowling trophy is your most meaningful experience to date… frankly, that’s going to raise some eyebrows.

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Curious, what is “new year’s six bowl” mean anyway?

This is a bowling award? It’s definitely not an academic award, and if you put it in hobbies, don’t say anything other than “bowling”.

Likewise, if you say winning a bowling trophy is your most meaningful experience to date… frankly, that’s going to raise some eyebrows.

May be sarcasm, but incase not, the new years 6 bowl games are the 6 top-tier D1 college football bowl games, which include the rose bowl, cotton bowl, sugar bowl, orange bowl, fiesta bowl, and peach bowl.

Reactions: 7 users
It should definitely be on your CV somewhere. My sibling was a D1 athlete and I lived with some athletes in undergrad. Being a D1 athlete in college is *at least* as hard as having a full time job alongside going to school.

If I was interviewing someone I would totally want to talk about that experience. Same goes for folks who played in the men's/women's basketball final fours, baseball/softball college world series, etc. Being a D1 athlete is freaking impressive in and of itself and if you were competing on a conference/national championship-level team that would definitely be something I would want to talk about at your interview.

Reactions: 3 users
It should definitely be on your CV somewhere. My sibling was a D1 athlete and I lived with some athletes in undergrad. Being a D1 athlete in college is *at least* as hard as having a full time job alongside going to school.

If I was interviewing someone I would totally want to talk about that experience. Same goes for folks who played in the men's/women's basketball final fours, baseball/softball college world series, etc. Being a D1 athlete is freaking impressive in and of itself and if you were competing on a conference/national championship-level team that would definitely be something I would want to talk about at your interview.
Agreed, was a great conversation starter. Most of my med school interview allotted time went to being asked about it. Hopefully it can help me with residency interviews the same way haha

May be sarcasm, but incase not, the new years 6 bowl games are the 6 top-tier D1 college football bowl games, which include the rose bowl, cotton bowl, sugar bowl, orange bowl, fiesta bowl, and peach bowl.
Ah. Not sarcasm. I watch college football (when my team isn’t sucking ass) and never heard that term before. Though I guess I don’t watch enough…

That’s more like a work experience, than a hobby. Hobbies I think of things you do in your leisure but not something you work at. You can definitely put that as a work experience (or however it’s phrased).

Ah. Not sarcasm. I watch college football (when my team isn’t sucking ass) and never heard that term before. Though I guess I don’t watch enough…

That’s more like a work experience, than a hobby. Hobbies I think of things you do in your leisure but not something you work at. You can definitely put that as a work experience (or however it’s phrased).
haha sorry to judge. I grew up in the deep south, and obviously played, so I have the ignorant assumption that everyone across the country should know this stuff. However, thank you for the input!

haha sorry to judge. I grew up in the deep south, and obviously played, so I have the ignorant assumption that everyone across the country should know this stuff. However, thank you for the input!
Well, there was a thought in my head you meant CFB, but the way you wrote it in the headline made me interpret it grammatically as six dudes winning a bowling trophy on New Years Day and you being like…

1703213637075.gif

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Make sure you get your ring in your headshot.

06ADEE32-A6F7-433E-88CD-AFD4D704B111.jpeg

Gonna be a good day if I can talk college football and Lebowski on here. I think technically it would go in the ECs, but I agree it’s practically a job (and you can make that argument for sure with NIL now). If I interviewed you, don’t worry about talking about research. I need to know the important stuff. Are you a zone or gap scheme kind of guy? Do you base out of an odd or even front? How do you feel about kickers?

*I was legitimately asked the last one at a residency interview. Turns out the guy was a kicker and didn’t appreciate my honesty.

• Haha
Honestly I would put that in the awards/honors section. That is extremely impressive when considering your other factors making you eligible for medicine/training. Athletics is essentially full time employment on top of being a full time student - let alone being at a top athletics program.

I’d put that there just like I’d say to put Olympic trials, military awards, etc. Not necessarily related to medicine, but very impressive and speaks volumes about you. Use that to your advantage.

Reactions: 5 users
Make sure you get your ring in your headshot.

View attachment 380070

Gonna be a good day if I can talk college football and Lebowski on here. I think technically it would go in the ECs, but I agree it’s practically a job (and you can make that argument for sure with NIL now). If I interviewed you, don’t worry about talking about research. I need to know the important stuff. Are you a zone or gap scheme kind of guy? Do you base out of an odd or even front? How do you feel about kickers?

*I was legitimately asked the last one at a residency interview. Turns out the guy was a kicker and didn’t appreciate my honesty.
I love this haha. Didn't get asked once about research for med school interviews. People just asked about my team. And since it was the main state team where I did my interviews, they just wanted the dirty details on the coach and players.

Kickers in my experience are either knocking down 60 yarders, or inebriated. no in between.

Honestly I would put that in the awards/honors section. That is extremely impressive when considering your other factors making you eligible for medicine/training. Athletics is essentially full time employment on top of being a full time student - let alone being at a top athletics program.

I’d put that there just like I’d say to put Olympic trials, military awards, etc. Not necessarily related to medicine, but very impressive and speaks volumes about you. Use that to your advantage.
good point, now I'm conflicted

good point, now I'm conflicted
I guess my thought process is that unlike Olympic trials or a military award, this was a team experience. And AFAIK, winners of the bowl games that are not THE national championship aren’t considered the “champions” (ie I don’t think you call anyone the “Peach Bowl champions” or the “Cotton Bowl champions”), they just won the game. So I’m not sure how you spin this into calling it an award.

I think it is plenty impressive regardless of how you list it. Maybe include it in the title of the activity description to help that stand out.

I guess my thought process is that unlike Olympic trials or a military award, this was a team experience. And AFAIK, winners of the bowl games that are not THE national championship aren’t considered the “champions” (ie I don’t think you call anyone the “Peach Bowl champions” or the “Cotton Bowl champions”), they just won the game. So I’m not sure how you spin this into calling it an award.

I think it is plenty impressive regardless of how you list it. Maybe include it in the title of the activity description to help that stand out.
Good point. We did get a fancy trophy and rings, but I guess it's a grey area and possibly misleading. I am now back on the side of not listing it as an award/honor

And based on this discussion, maybe somehow very briefly explain what the New Years Six is in case one or more reviewers really doesn’t know.,

And based on this discussion, maybe somehow very briefly explain what the New Years Six is in case one or more reviewers really doesn’t know.,
... and also briefly explain how this has left FSU out of the National Championship competition.

Maybe let USNWR rank the top teams.

• Haha
... and also briefly explain how this has left FSU out of the National Championship competition.

Maybe let USNWR rank the top teams.
Tbh i agree with the committee lmfao, sorry. Tonight’s game’s were insane and fsu would not compete imo haha

Which NY6 game did you get to play in?