Wondering about current issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atonox146

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a pre-podiatry student. I became interested in podiatry as soon as I found out about it, since my mother recently started having many foot problems. I want to get into the medical field, I really enjoy science and I am compassionate with people, especially the ill.
My question is not specific to podiatry but to the health-care field in general. I didn't want to post this in a pre-allo or allopathic thread because it seems that most of the people on that forum are insane and their thinking obstructed by pride.
So I read many post on this board and it literally has made me think twice about trying to get into any medical field, being NP, PA, MD/DO, DPM or anything. From what I read it seems that it's literally a bunch of spoiled 1st graders running around making a ton of money. At least in the allopathic forum. Always getting into arguments and blindly arguing their point and referring to everyone that doesn't have an MD after their name as something lower in the evolution chain. Is it like this when you are out practicing in real life?? :scared:
I thought I post this where physicians are already practicing or in residency...

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I am a pre-podiatry student. I became interested in podiatry as soon as I found out about it, since my mother recently started having many foot problems. I want to get into the medical field, I really enjoy science and I am compassionate with people, especially the ill.
My question is not specific to podiatry but to the health-care field in general. I didn't want to post this in a pre-allo or allopathic thread because it seems that most of the people on that forum are insane and their thinking obstructed by pride.
So I read many post on this board and it literally has made me think twice about trying to get into any medical field, being NP, PA, MD/DO, DPM or anything. From what I read it seems that it's literally a bunch of spoiled 1st graders running around making a ton of money. At least in the allopathic forum. Always getting into arguments and blindly arguing their point and referring to everyone that doesn't have an MD after their name as something lower in the evolution chain. Is it like this when you are out practicing in real life?? :scared:
I thought I post this where physicians are already practicing or in residency...

I agree with you. MD's are insane. :D

You seem like you really want to be a physician. Do it for yourself. There will always be the good, the bad, AND the ugly in all professions. Don't let anyone deter you.

Hello,

In all professions there will be people of varying backgrounds, egos, emotional states, and maturity levels.

Most people that end up being successful worked hard and are proud of that. Unfortunately many of these people feel the need to put others down to maintain their proudness (did I make up that word?).

Pick your profession based on what will make you happy, not others. You are fortunate to be in a position to chose your profession and career. Most people end up in a job by accident. Some still manage to become successful though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

no

Hello,
...So I read many post on this board and it literally has made me think twice about trying to get into any medical field, being NP, PA, MD/DO, DPM or anything. From what I read it seems that it's literally a bunch of spoiled 1st graders running around making a ton of money. At least in the allopathic forum. Always getting into arguments and blindly arguing their point and referring to everyone that doesn't have an MD after their name as something lower in the evolution chain. Is it like this when you are out practicing in real life?? :scared:...
no
Exactly. People will grow up eventually. Well, most of them.

Hospitals aren't like high school. Keep in mind that a lot of of the forum pre-meds who seem to know all about what MDs think of DOs and what one specialty thinks of another will never even be accepted or matriculate into programs.

There are some people who will always be insecure or are just plain mean, but I can't think of any profession where you don't have a few of those types that you have to deal with. They might be a tad more prevalent in medicine since it's a high pressure job with a long hours and a lot of responsibility. As with any degee program, a portion of people will also tend to think they're entitled to the world after a long time in school.

In the end, though, the vast majority of docs I've met want what's best for their patients and will respect and use the resources and other good brains around them. You will have to deal with diffcult colleagues from time to time, but you'll have to deal with difficult patients too. I guess that's why it takes "people skills" ;)