Wondering about radiology match results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WVgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an HPSP student wondering about the radiology match results for 2005. If anyone knows any info, it would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

WVgirl said:
I am an HPSP student wondering about the radiology match results for 2005. If anyone knows any info, it would be much appreciated.

Go here to download the AF results for all specialties.

PURE CRAZY! The Army had 12 pre-select spots for rads, and 11 people apply for them. Not exactly a competitive match. I probably dont need to do the math for you, but Army rads had at least one unfilled position. The only other Army specialty that can say that is IM. Unfilled rads spots are virtually unheard of in the civi match.

Anybody got some insight on WHY? I must say I am a little concerned.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure Kerley B, but when I talked to Janna Cox she said it was just a fluke. I'm wondering if maybe a particular facility isn't very popular??? No idea?? Anyway, do you have any idea where the unfilled spot is???

KerleyB said:
PURE CRAZY! The Army had 12 pre-select spots for rads, and 11 people apply for them. Not exactly a competitive match. I probably dont need to do the math for you, but Army rads had at least one unfilled position. The only other Army specialty that can say that is IM. Unfilled rads spots are virtually unheard of in the civi match.

KerleyB said:

WT...??? That is amazing! It almost makes me want to cross-commission..............almost. :p

hey, where'd u get this info from? i was trying to decipher this AF link, it doesn't tell which spots went unfilled. hmmm....

It's not really that surprising at all. Since the army is a relatively small residency organization with only 300 some total GME positions, you'd expect the numbers in each field to vary from year to year. There are other examples of competitive fields not filling. ENT didn't fill a couple years ago, but most years they have a good number more applicants then slots. It's just a fluke. Also, the army increased it's number of rads slots from last year.

WVgirl said:
I'm not sure Kerley B, but when I talked to Janna Cox she said it was just a fluke. I'm wondering if maybe a particular facility isn't very popular??? No idea?? Anyway, do you have any idea where the unfilled spot is???

I dont know where the unfilled is, but I sincerely hope it isnt at Tripler... that would make my call schedule a little poopier!

Just a fluke huh, still hard to believe that only 11 people out of at least 350 would want rads. At my school about 40 of 260 applied in the civi match, and I would assume similar numbers at other institutions. Strange!

KerleyB said:
I dont know where the unfilled is, but I sincerely hope it isnt at Tripler... that would make my call schedule a little poopier!

Just a fluke huh, still hard to believe that only 11 people out of at least 350 would want rads. At my school about 40 of 260 applied in the civi match, and I would assume similar numbers at other institutions. Strange!

Rads is a very hot field right now, but I think 40/260 is probably higher then average. I'm not sure about the rads numbers at my school, but this year my class has two times more people applying for my field (ophtho) then we did last year. I think it's just random, but who knows.