Wondering if I should attempt med school and how to achieve it.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thinkingintx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For starters I am a 26 year old from Texas. I haven't taken any college classes and I have no formal education after high school. Growing up we didn't have a lot of money and college wasn't really an option. I had to work full time the last two years of high school to support myself and entered the oilfield as soon as I graduated high school. My short career has been great and even rewarding at times. But I have always wanted to practice medicine. I moved up the oil field ranks quickly from unskilled labor to running big capitol projects at 23. Then at 24 I moved into consulting and hit the top of my field.

It's not a fulfilling job but it has given me the money I need to go to school and try to achieve what I have wanted to do since high school. I have read so many articles and forum posts that my head is spinning so I was hoping to get some input here.

I plan on starting classes as soon as I can at a local university for a degree in biophysics. I chose this because it fills all my necessary pre reqs and I love physics. I have kept up with that love as much as I can. I taught my self calculus so I can read through several books I have on different subjects. My wife will finish her degree this year and her job will support us during my education. After hopefully achieving a good GPA and doing well on the MCAT I will apply to all of the Texas schools.

What are things I should look into before I start this journey? Should I even attempt it in the first place? Where can I get information on how to do this?

I plan on leaving the oil industry as soon as possible anyway. I just want to make sure I'm taking steps in the right direction. Thanks ahead of time.

Members don't see this ad.

Read this book (shill alert: Dr Hartwig is an old pal of mine).
51GI51whnAL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

For starters I am a 26 year old from Texas. I haven't taken any college classes and I have no formal education after high school. Growing up we didn't have a lot of money and college wasn't really an option. I had to work full time the last two years of high school to support myself and entered the oilfield as soon as I graduated high school. My short career has been great and even rewarding at times. But I have always wanted to practice medicine. I moved up the oil field ranks quickly from unskilled labor to running big capitol projects at 23. Then at 24 I moved into consulting and hit the top of my field.

It's not a fulfilling job but it has given me the money I need to go to school and try to achieve what I have wanted to do since high school. I have read so many articles and forum posts that my head is spinning so I was hoping to get some input here.

I plan on starting classes as soon as I can at a local university for a degree in biophysics. I chose this because it fills all my necessary pre reqs and I love physics. I have kept up with that love as much as I can. I taught my self calculus so I can read through several books I have on different subjects. My wife will finish her degree this year and her job will support us during my education. After hopefully achieving a good GPA and doing well on the MCAT I will apply to all of the Texas schools.

What are things I should look into before I start this journey? Should I even attempt it in the first place? Where can I get information on how to do this?

I plan on leaving the oil industry as soon as possible anyway. I just want to make sure I'm taking steps in the right direction. Thanks ahead of time.

Reactions: 1 user
Thoughts:
- Going to get a degree with a purpose is a good thing (especially as you already have work experience that is not fulfilling). As a non-traditional student, you will have more drive to excel than your average undergrad.
- Once you're in school, figure out what you enjoy studying (and can do well in) and major in it. College, particularly exploring new fields is fun/exciting and you should be sure to take time to enjoy it. Make sure you take the required pre-med classes as well.
- Earn the highest grades you can in every class to have a competitive cumulative GPA and science GPA.
- The only way to determine if medicine is right for you is by doing research through volunteer work, shadowing, talking to physicians and reading. You want to be sure medicine is for you as you are committing to 4 years of medical school and a minimum of 2 or 3 in residency afterwards.
- You can find information about how to do this all over the forums and any pre med advising. As you are just starting college level work, you can use advising information for the standard student as well.

Now, your last question about whether or not it is worth it is up to you and your spouse. I can't tell you one way or another that it will be fulfilling or the right path for you. I will say that there are many of us who have worked for a while and realized that we wanted to do something else and have found that medicine was the right path. Some are in mid 20s when they realize this, others in 30's, and other still are in their 40's or 50's. It is possible to make a change and pursue medicine but it is not without some sacrifices. Personally, I would rather go through extra effort now to spend decades in a career I love than spend decades in an occupation I am not passionate about/fulfilled by. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, talk to a school advisor so you can figure out a plan. Good luck!

Go for it! You have an inspirational story that will appeal to medical schools who are receptive to non-trads.

It's a big undertaking, however, so I'd definitely find a good advisor to help guide and direct you, including any remedial prep to get you going strongly once you launch into pre-med material.

I would also spend some time volunteering in a medical related field (personally, I did hospice, which helped me confirm that I loved it and it was a great fit for me). It will help you know whether your interest is real, or more of a theoretical concept.