Wondering which schools to apply to...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JanuaryJean

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure which schools would make sense for me to apply for and have heard many difference things from different advisors/fellow pre-med students/current medical students. Someone pointed me here to find out, so here I am. I am looking for schools near Chicago and Philadelphia for personal reasons, but am considering other places since these locations limit my choices too much. Any help appreciated!

I'm a Post-bac in my final semester out of four semesters. So far my post-bac (science) GPA is 4.0, hoping to keep it this semester :) and my undergrad GPA is 3.78 (BA in Music)

Just got my MCAT score of 34 (9V/11P/14B)

I've shadowed a neonatologist and a pediatrician in a hospital setting and a primary care doctor in a private practice for a total of 30 hours.

By the time I apply, I will also have volunteered at a hospital (non-clinical) for at least 60 hours. No research experience, although I am actually very interested in doing research :(

I worked as an EMT-B for a private ambulance company (full time, then part time) for 9 months.

Members don't see this ad.

Any other ECs on your application? Music, sports, art, etc? Any leadership roles?

In undergrad I did lots of music:
-concertmaster (violin) of the orchestra for all four years
-electric bass in jazz band
-percussion and conducting in concert band
-alto and conducting in choir
-started an a cappella group
-semi-professional orchestra for 3 years
-various community orchestras for 3 years
-Violin teacher at local community center
-professional wedding/event quartet for 5 years (stayed in it after graduating)

Outside of music:
-College Ultimate Frisbee team
-Ran a show on campus radio
-Worked for school IT department
-Was a Chinese tutor

After graduating:
-Worked in Law IT for 3 years, went from entry level to team manager (still working part time)
-EMT-B for private ambulance for 9 months (listed above)
-Stayed in semi-professional orchestra and became a board member
-Currently fostering cats for a cat shelter

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, phew. That's much better. Are you putting IL or PA residency on your app?

It's unfortunate that you don't have research but are interested in it (might be hard to really know if you've never done it). Anecdotally, I've heard some schools give some slack to non-trads/career changers for not having any, but it'll still make it harder. You may want to mention in secondaries that you are interested but had a difficult time finding opportunities. The other hole in your application is clinical volunteering. You do have volunteering, and you do have clinical experience, so that's good, but most people also have clinical volunteering.

So, for IL schools:
Rush- worth applying... they have some good research opportunities, but they also tend to like to see more volunteer work than most places
U Chicago, Northwestern- GPA/MCAT would make these reaches, with a lack of research being the nail in the coffin
UIC- worth applying, but be aware that you may not get assigned to the Chicago campus even if you get in
Rosy Franklin- could be worth applying... I don't know much about them, other than thay they are considered a "safety school" (lol, as if that exists) for so many applicants that they get >12,000 applications, but the MSAR indicates your interview chances are much higher if you are applying an IL resident
Loyola- worth applying, though they are similar to Rush in having a dedication to service
SIU- they only take IL residents, so don't apply if you aren't, and they also primarily take people from rural areas who want to help rural patients, so take that into account

I don't know as much about most PA schools beyond what's on the MSAR. I did interview at SKMC (Jefferson) which could be a good fit for you (I think they're one of the ones that even has a med student orchestra!). Hopefully you can get a "@Goro Suggests" list... and maybe someone like @gyngyn could suggest places with good research opportunities but that might consider someone without research?

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks gyngyn and AspiringERMD! That's definitely a start. I'm also considering:

Drexel
Temple
PennState

and as reaches,
UWash
UMich
UPenn

Do you think UPenn is way too much of a reach (not worth applying for)? It's my top choice because my family's in Philly, I like the area, and my dad works there (in the dental school, not the medical school). Also, it looks awesome for research.