Words of advice from entering class of 2011?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lgreen_aci

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, congrats to all of you who have thus far been accepted to dental school and will make up the class of 2011. And for those of you still waiting for good news, the best of luck.

So for those of you accepted, now that you're in and there is really no need to be competitive and you can kind of let your guard down, what advice would you give to those planning to apply in the next few years? I'm talking about beyond that standard GPA, DAT, shadowing stuff we read about on SDN all the time. For example, looking at yourself, beyond those basic things, why do you think you got in? What is your analysis of what dental schools are looking for and what really worked for you? Also what things didn't work and were a waste of time? What did you think going in that you realized you were totally wrong about? What would you tell people to do beyond those basic things to become more confident in their decision and increase their chances?

And I hope you don't misunderstand my intentions with this thread. I'm not looking for simple answers to steal and use as my own or anything like that. I'm just looking for motivation and inspiration, and maybe some reassurance that what I am thinking and doing is consistent with what is actually getting people into dental school.

PM's are always great too if you don't fee like sharing with everyone.

Thanks guys, and congrats again!

Members don't see this ad.

smile as much as you can during your interviews. show off those pearly whites

When you interview there is no need to be nervous, Interviewers my challenge you but you're talking about yourself so just BE HONEST for example one of my interviewers asked if X school was my first choice, I told her that it was not but that so far I had been impressed with the school during my interview and I was deffintly giving considering X school with more weight so BE HONEST, WORK HARD, and BE YOURSELF

Members don't see this ad :)
When you interview there is no need to be nervous, Interviewers my challenge you but you're talking about yourself so just BE HONEST for example one of my interviewers asked if X school was my first choice, I told her that it was not but that so far I had been impressed with the school during my interview and I was deffintly giving considering X school with more weight so BE HONEST, WORK HARD, and BE YOURSELF

did you get in that X school?

1) Buy a great suit! When you're dressed up and look the part, you gain this wonderful confidence in yourself and your answers. 2) Be honest at all times during your interviews. 3) Come up with a good answer to "what is your biggest weakness." No, "I'm a perfectionist" and "I'm a people pleaser" don't count. I was asked that question at 3 out of 4 interviews and if my 4th interview wasn't a mock-PBL, they would have probably asked me that question too. 4) Try to relax at your interviews and enjoy them. If you're nervous and anxious, it only makes everyone else nervous and anxious... be calm. It's so fun looking back on it. 5) Save your money before hand and save more than you'll think you need. Applying is E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E. 6) And lastly, do research on the schools you're applying to, I mean a lot of research. Don't waste your time and money on a school that isn't right for you. :luck:

No matter how great your grades and DAT scores and LOR's are, you can only benefit from APPLYING EARLY. As in dont do what I did and take your DAT's on 9/11.

don't hold back in undergrad..what i mean is, take every opportunity given to you. and it's not always only about academics. every college offers so many opportunities that i think many people don't take advantage of, like studying abroad for example. it was the best thing i've done in college, but since it seems to get in the way of academics (especially science majors...it hard to go abroad), many people don't take advantage of it. or be really involved in clubs. take leadership positions...i mean there is so much that many students just don't take the time to look at because we are concerned with grades and academics. don't get me wrong, i'm not encouraging slacking off, but i really think ec's and being well rounded is a big part of getting into dental school.

No matter how great your grades and DAT scores and LOR's are, you can only benefit from APPLYING EARLY. As in dont do what I did and take your DAT's on 9/11.

oh ya...next biggest thing...apply early. i'm an idiot and didn't apply until like september, and by the time everything got in, it was october. and i took the dat in october. so most schools are still just receiving my apps, and i know i would've been a pretty strong candidate had i just applied in may.

Applying early is important...but sort of a crock.

You can e-submit on may 17th if you want...but the real key to getting that application sent out fast is to make sure your transcripts get to AADSAS fast, so as soon as you create an AADSAS account, enter your colleges attended and print out the transcript matching forms and get your transcripts sent out (some people may have to wait for those final class grades...but not everyone).

Once the application is e-submitted AND your transcripts arrive, you can get the classes verified and get in line to have your application sent out.

find a niche that you can fulfill for the dental school. Every school hopes that a few students will become future dental leaders or teachers, and that's the niche I played to when I wrote my personal statement and interviewed. I am a former high school teacher and have been a very active student and non-student leader in many organizations (I'm not gonna bother listing everything, suffice it to say I've been a member, treasurer, student representative, president or chair of more than half a dozen college or national organizations). In general, dental school love leadership qualities...which is more than just being president of club X or officer in national organization y. Sometimes leadership is just recognizing that something outside of the usual school work and office work needs doing, and figuring out how to do it.

For example:

At a dental office I volunteered at, I noticed something in their lab that just seemed sloppy, so I asked the dentists if I could reorganize it to streamline and make things easier. It was really very basic and simple. That dentist later wrote about that in my letter of rec...I know because it came up in an interview when the interviewer said he was impressed that I took the initiative.

so like I said...play the leader card if you can.

oh, and one last piece of advice...especially for guys. Before you start heading out to interviews...read or scan the book "The Definitive Guide to Body Language" by Pease and Pease. The other day we did mock interviews of some of the newer predents at my school and I was one of the mock interviewers and I have to admit...it was amazing how many students had no idea how bad their body languge was during the mock interviews.

Yeah, I don't think the applying early thing worked wonders for many people this year. That piece of advice should actually be "don't apply very late."

Second, I think it's really important to find something unique about yourself and elaborate on it. I strongly think that it's all about diversity these days. If you're a white male for example, then go abroad and do something unique or do anything that will make you stand out.

I see the whole diversity idea even in my current job where they're doing this "diversity in the workplace" campaign.

As someone else mentioned...take advantage of everything in undergrad. There's so much that you can do to beef up those applications and to begin doing them early on shows preparation and discipline and that you're not doing them all to simply get into dental school. Rather, you're doing them because you're a good person who wants to be a working member of the community and you have a good heart.

In my case, if your school of choice does a lot of research, then DO A LOT OF RESEARCH. And once you've done it, make sure they know about it. My manager at the research company I work for wrote a great LOR.

I actually think it's very important to apply early. By applying early we mean you should have ALL the necessary materials (DAT score report, official transcript, LOR, etc..) sent in by early August.

The reason being because I took my DATs in late August, so my application was basically complete by mid-september. By mid-september, many dental schools had already mailed out interviews. I was kind of surprised because I was confident that I had a very competitive application. Accordingly, I have only received 2 interviews (BUT I have been accepted to my #1 school!! :thumbup: )

Secondly, you definitely want to go all out in terms of your studying. Do the best you can and aim for nothing less than Bs in your pre reqs (bio, chem, orgo, physics). The GPA trend is going up every year, and I think a 3.5 would be safe nowadays.

Thirdly, give yourself time to study for the DAT. Although I took mine kinda late, I studied all summer for them and was able to get competetive scores becasue I was prepared. DON'T take the DAT lightly. I think it's probably the most important aspect of your application (yes, there are many other factors, but DAT probably is the #1 thing).

As far as research, I wouldn't be overly concerned with that unless you are interested in schools that are heavily research based (like UoP or Pittsburgh). However, spending some time in a research lab is always a plus. You can do it anywhere. Just ask one of your science professors if they are doing any research (most do) and join them in their undergrad laboratory.

Finally, definitely get some volunteer work. At the dental school I will be attending next year, God Willing, the interview seemed to be very focused on work in the community. Therefore, make sure you get plenty of volunteer work.

Sorry for the long response, hope this helps in your future dental chool endeavors.

Definitely the numbers are important... but awesome LORs are the thing that lets the Admissions Committee know what you're really about. If possible, get the BEST possible letter writers you know as they essentially represent you! Second bit of advice, study hard, know your s*it and you will score high enough on the DAT. Don't expect to get 26s (just try your best and you will score high) as even with a 17 (in PAT for me) I still got interviews at the top schools.

I'm so confused with the interview process as my Michigan was by far my WORST interview and I was still accepted. I figure if they ask you to write something (like an essay), just try to find a logical way to defend your argument. And most importantly, bring yourself (in the literal sense and figurative sense). Even if the interview seems to be going horribly, just keep your composure and it will all work out.

take the dat early apply early
that is what I learned....
and smile all the time

Members don't see this ad :)
APPLY IN MAY/JUNE.
DONT LISTEN TO PEOPLE'S DISCOURAGING POSTS.
This will be my first time posting my stats. But I want to show you that it is not about the numbers.
GPA 3.4
DAT 19AA 20TS including a 13 on the QR.
ACCEPTED HARVARD CLASS OF 2011.

Honestly, talk to the schools you are interested in early. Let them tell you what you need to do to get in. Just be prepared that they may tell you to retake a class or increase your DAT score to the low 20s at least. It seems that if you show enough stick-to-it-iveness and accomplish what they told you you need to, they will at least review your app closely.

and don't forget to enjoy undergrad! study well, work hard, be involved, but don't be afraid to step back every now and then and enjoy yourself. in all honesty, i think it's the best time of your life, so don't let your college years fly by without making some great memories.

Stay away from SDN until you are just killing time. It is extremely addictive.

I am surprised no one has said the most important tip for getting into dental school.................

If you work at "X" store, and I want to work at "X" store but I have limited experience, what do I do?
I call you and ask you to hook me up with the job, how many times have we all done this???! I know I have for all of the jobs I have had!

Get to know someone important in the dental school you want to attend!!!!
Faculty, alumni, staff, current students, blah, blah..... anyone affiliated with the dental school helps, get to know them!

Stay away from SDN until you are just killing time. It is extremely addictive.

i couldnt agree more. ive wasted countless hours reading the posts on this site when i could have been studying or doing some other productive activity.

i think that doing comnunity service you care about not just something do to that racks up hours is important...and for all those out there not doing so well grade trends are huge. i started a 3.0 freshman year and rose exponentially fast after i applied myself, so dont worry about doing bad early as long as you make up for it....apply early and be something besides a hard working student have a personality that comes through in your application

Honestly, talk to the schools you are interested in early. Let them tell you what you need to do to get in. Just be prepared that they may tell you to retake a class or increase your DAT score to the low 20s at least. It seems that if you show enough stick-to-it-iveness and accomplish what they told you you need to, they will at least review your app closely.

How early is early? I was thinking it's time to contact schools for brochures and whatnot over the winter break (applying 2008 cycle).

stay away from SDN. It makes you freak out when you really do not need to. I was surprised when I started SDN in August and many people had already submitted their applications and started to panick. I was surprised when everybody here had high DATs in their practice and the real thing and started to panick with my 16s and 17s. I was finally surprised at the questions people said they were asked at the interviews. All these were not needed. i got interviews from top schools like columbia even with a 15s and 17s in DAT. i got an interview even after submitting aadsas in september; finally , my interview was a child's play.
warning: stay away from this place.

- applied by the end of june (had all LOR and transcripts sent by then as well)

- studied for 6 weeks for DAT (used kaplan book, topscore, dat achiever and took kaplan course earlier that year)- got 23ts 22aa 19pat (even after getting a 13aa on diagnostic, so don't get discouraged)

- took initiative to get atleast 130 hrs of dental shadowing in of various specialties as well as gps

- kept my gpa high even after a very rough first semester (2.4 first semester but with hard work raised it to almost a 3.6)

- did lots of volunteer work (one on one type of things like peer counseling)

- made time for things i enjoy - tennis club

- did research for 2yrs and got published

If you do things along these lines it seems to work, as I got in to just about every school I interviewed at (even though i receieved interviews at more schools I am not going to them as I got in to one of my top choices)

Moral of the story - don't get discouraged by failures, use them as fuel to work harder and you will taste success when it's all over!! Goodluck to all you predents out there and pm me if you have any q's